Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 

This summer is the first summer since dd was probably 5 years old that she doesn't have much dance definitely scheduled! She started going to some type of dance camp when she was 5 and hasn't stopped since then. Starting in her teen years, she usually did more than 1 program (some local). Not having much definitely scheduled doesn't mean she won't be dancing though. 

She'll be home for two weeks from her trainee program before heading off to take an academic college course for 3 weeks. She'll be in a city where there are open classes. I've found three different locations so far. She currently plans to squeeze one in M-F in the mornings. Then, she's home for a week before heading off to a 3 week SI. I hope she will have a little time at home after that. Guessing it will be a week or two. Not sure where she is headed yet for next season which will determine how long she's home. 

ETA. So we now know she will be home for about a week after that SI so she can pack up to drive across the country for her first professional contact. This will probably be her last SI ever, though she has talked about going back to this one if they give her an even bigger scholarship (it goes up to age 22 or so) or trying to be an RA at an SI she she can also take a daily class.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Dd13 has a busy summer planned--some for dance and some for non-dance things. She's doing 4 weeks in Saratoga Springs at NYSSSA Ballet, then a week at her home intensive, then a week of sleep away camp, and then as a family we are doing 3 weeks in Europe (as long as all this visa stuff doesn't happen!) She will be home a few days and then school starts back up.
Emmie46

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #28 
We have summer dance in July followed by Nationals. In July, she will go to AAB. Then only two more weeks until school starts.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
DD is going to Italy for the month of July to study (academic, not dance).  She'll make her decision during that trip as to whether she'll return for her final year of dance.  If she does decide to dance, she'll have to squeeze in 3 weeks of mandatory training at her studio (nights only), likely the choreography of her final solo, while at the same time finishing the final stage of her lifeguard certification (30 hours).  And she wants to get her drivers license. And hang out with friends. It'll be a busy month!  
camercad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
DD is going to Italy for the month of July to study (academic, not dance).  She'll make her decision during that trip as to whether she'll return for her final year of dance.  If she does decide to dance, she'll have to squeeze in 3 weeks of mandatory training at her studio (nights only), likely the choreography of her final solo, while at the same time finishing the final stage of her lifeguard certification (30 hours).  And she wants to get her drivers license. And hang out with friends. It'll be a busy month!  

Looks like our DDs have similar summer plans! (with the exception of the lifeguard certification)
brightblue

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
DD is 10. She'll do our studio's ballet intensive then another week at another local studio's intensive (both 5 hour days for the younger kids) After that she's going to Perry-Mansfield for 2 weeks for their performing arts camp. I'm hoping that will be a compromise between keeping some dance training going while still having a summer camp experience vs. an intensive. After that I'm not entirely sure. More local stuff and classes, but I'm not sure we're staying entirely at our home studio vs branching out.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Two local intensives, nationals, high school camp, studio boot camp for next year. She should have plenty of dancing, which is good, because after a week out of school, she is already bored unless she's dancing!
Pasdechat

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #33 
DD 13 will be leaving for 5 weeks at Walnut Hill right the Monday after school gets out. Then she'll have two weeks of half -day master classes at Boston Ballet, with once a week evening rehearsals for a September performance at her home studio. We'll take a week vacation, then a week at her studio's intensive. I'm hoping a week off will be enough. Both the BB and her home studio's intensives aren't that intense. I've always gone with her in the summer and we've slept in hotels, so it's her first summer in dorms. I'm worried, but excited for her. I want her to have the sleep away summer camp experience I had growing up, just swapping canoes and capture the flag with pointe shoes and pas de deux! We'll make sure to squeeze in lots of outdoor activities (hiking, biking, swimming, kayaking) during our week vacation and weekends when she is home. These are not her favorite, but all dance (or in my son's case all soccer) doesn't make for a very well-rounded individual!
Marina

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #34 
My daughter will train most of the holidays but we travel a lot so she'll get some time off Dance too.
4boysmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina
My daughter will train most of the holidays but we travel a lot so she'll get some time off Dance too.

At 5 years of age, I certainly hope she has some time off. Maybe playing with friends, going to the park?
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Family vacation, "sleep away" camp, Local intensive(s), maybe some privates.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: