Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
What is everyone's dancer doing for the summer?  Will he/she train the whole summer or take some time off?

DD15 has Nationals in July and then she'll do a few master classes here and there and a few nights a week of summer classes but she'll have some time off.

DD12 goes to Orlando for 8 days for World Ballet Competition Finals.  She comes home on a Sunday night and then leaves early Monday morning for a 5-weeks summer intensive at Bossov Ballet Theatre in Maine.  She comes back from there July 30 and I'm thinking she'll probably take two weeks off before starting fall classes.  There may be a day or two of privates but other than that she needs a break!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I really hope your dd has a great time at BBT.

My 17 yo is off to a Joffrey MT SI on June 11th for a week and then stays in nyc the next week for a Rockettes SI.  We get home and turn around two days later to bring her to BBT on Sunday for 5 wks.  Two weeks off. Then 2 wks in Boston at a full time private coaching program with one of the schools she attends now.  I'm tired just thinking about it.
camercad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
DD will be in Italy all of July for a language immersion program, plus a week visiting grandparents in Illinois. First time in four years not doing a summer intensive. But, she is planning on doing drop-in classes and maybe a few private lessons while she is in Italy. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
I really hope your dd has a great time at BBT.

My 17 yo is off to a Joffrey MT SI on June 11th for a week and then stays in nyc the next week for a Rockettes SI.  We get home and turn around two days later to bring her to BBT on Sunday for 5 wks.  Two weeks off. Then 2 wks in Boston at a full time private coaching program with one of the schools she attends now.  I'm tired just thinking about it.

Holy cow that is a busy summer!  Has she done Rockettes before?  That sounds like a lot of fun!  [smile]

Do you know how many levels BBT will have?
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
DD gets antsy with more than a few days off. Our recital isn't until after the 4th of July. Then probably 5 weekly classes (bootcamp, essential summer tech, 2 aerial and tumbling) and a week at Ecole Nationale de Cirque's SI. Kind of excited for her first real SI!
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My daughter's team has dance twice a week over the summer for 3 hours a day.  That works for me; it's enough to keep her skills and still gives us plenty of time to do things as a family.  We're allowed 2 weeks off out of the 8 but we're only taking 1 week; we're going to Disney for my birthday. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

Holy cow that is a busy summer!  Has she done Rockettes before?  That sounds like a lot of fun!  [smile]

Do you know how many levels BBT will have?

I'm pretty sure it's 3 levels.  I'll double check with dd when she gets home and correct it if I'm wrong.

And, yes, she did do the Rockettes last year.  She loved it!

eta:  yup.  3 levels.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Five weeks at Washington Ballet the week after school is out (school ends on Thursday, check in is on Sunday) then she has a week off and then she'll do a week at the studio's intensive (they have a guest artist come in and perform their piece at a festival at the end of the week) then she has a week off and then another week at the studio.  Then we're going to Copenhagen before school starts.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
Five weeks at Washington Ballet the week after school is out (school ends on Thursday, check in is on Sunday) then she has a week off and then she'll do a week at the studio's intensive (they have a guest artist come in and perform their piece at a festival at the end of the week) then she has a week off and then another week at the studio.  Then we're going to Copenhagen before school starts.

A boy from our studio is doing that intensive as well and he was also offered a year round scholarship so he'll be there for that too.  I've heard that is a good program.  Sounds like you have a busy summer!
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
DD is home for the summer after finishing up her first year at college and taking a couple of academic classes at the local community college.  Additionally,she will have dance team practice a few times a month back on campus, she will also be teaching at her former studio a few evenings a week, but she is probably most excited about jumping back into technique, stretch & flex, conditioning, and ballet classes at her former studio whenever she can squeeze them in.

momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
We have regular technique classes through July, studio ballet intensive the last week of July, and then she'll start her 3 week intensive at Ballet Detroit in August. I think there are a few acro clinics she's doing as well scattered throughout the summer. 
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
DD is not doing a SI this summer, and actually didn't even do any auditions. She had planned to do a few auditions, but life just got in the way. She has recital mid June. Then the week after that, she has a weeklong team intensive that ends in auditions for next year. Nationals are early July in Las Vegas. After she comes back from nationals, she will be auditioning again for the contemporary company that she was a member of this past year. Assuming she makes it again, they will start rehearsing right away, as they have a performance in early August. Other than that, she will continue to take classes at her studio. Summer schedule is only four nights a week. In addition to dancing, dd will take her driving test and hopefully get her license in July right after nationals. She will also be taking a weekly SAT prep class on Monday mornings. She made it into a leadership group at school that among other responsibilities, is in charge of freshman orientation the week before school starts, so she will be busy meeting with the rest of the group and preparing for that. She also just wants to be a teenager and is looking forward to plenty of fun, lazy days at the beach with her friends.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
No dance this summer except for the one week of dance camp at her studio.

I make my kids go to a week of sleep away camp, and with Nationals, dance camp, and a family wedding/vacation, there isn't any more time available for anything else.

Good thing she's only 12 and we have plenty of time. [smile]
camercad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Hmm... someone dislikes summer training and/or posts about summer training
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by camercad
Hmm... someone dislikes summer training and/or posts about summer training

I saw the "Debbie Downer" too...Maybe he/she just doesn't like productive young people doing what they love?!

Some people are truly so odd...

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Yep - saw the same. Bizarre thread to be a Debbie Downer.  
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
DD11 is doing 4 or 5 weeks of her studio's day-long summer intensive, plus a Pilates and Acro class. She wants to add additional evening classes from her studio as well - mostly ballet. Two days would mean 10:30-8:30! I haven't agreed to that part yet. There's growth, and then overdoing it?

She's also spending two weeks at another studio's evening ballet intensive in August.

Oh, and she gets to go en pointe the beginning of June.

Mixed in there is a week tent camping with her brother and dad (not my thing - so mom's staycation); a week's family vacation on Lake Michigan; and a 5-day trip to Saratoga Springs for master classes, performances, tours and a meet-and-greet - all taught/performed by New York City Ballet!! We are quite excited about that, to say the least!

It is sponsored by Ballet in the City, and DD has done several master classes they've organized (Sonia Rodriguez from National Ballet of Canada, Sascha Radetsky, and Rex Tilton). Plus, we've attended a couple of events they've sponsored. Very well run. Here's the link to the Saratoga trip, in case anyone's interested.

https://www.balletinthecity.org/programs-and-events.html

5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
DD14 is taking private lessons and learning choreography for next year the last 2 weeks in May. Then she will be taking classes June 5 evenings a week. She also is taking 2 summer school courses in June for high school to get ahead of her credits. Literally the day her classes are finished in June, she goes to her SI for 5 weeks at PBT, then she has a smaller company intensive for the first 2 weeks of August. Both intensives are long days and wonderful ballet training. The very next week she starts her freshman year!

DD7 is taking dance on Monday and Tuesday in June, and hopefully we will be adding in a tumbling class at the gym. She has a 1 week mini intensive in July. We plan to do lots of swimming and craft projects [smile]
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 

The dancer is going to have a crazy busy summer.

School ends June 20th.  We leave for Florida for (her first ever) Nationals on the 24th and return July 4th.  On the 9th of July she leaves for 6 days at a children's summer camp where she will volunteer with her church youth group. 2 days after returning from that, she heads to Oakland University for the Eisenhower NewDanceFest summer intensive for 2 weeks.  The day after that ends, she starts 3 weeks of driver's training.  I think there are 2 weeks left and then school starts again!  Yikes!

The rest of the family has a much less hectic summer, thank heaven.

BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
DD has her spring show at the end of June so will be doing regular classes up until then, then for 3 weeks of July she will be at the Kaatsbaan intensive, and then when she gets back she has a one week intensive at her studio.
Becca

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
School just ended. Three weeks at home (with drop in classes, privates, and twice weekly self defense classes) Then she is traveling to Houston for a week to practice surfing (my dad has been surfing for forever). After that, she goes to Lines intensive for four weeks and then to Cary Ballet intensive for another 4 weeks (with a one day break in-between).  Finally she has one week before school starts back and the plan is for a few privates but a lot of rest. Cat lives and trains at a residential ballet program so cherishing the few weeks I have to spend with her. 
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
DD is doing three ballet intensives this year. She'll do three weeks at an intensive staying in the dorms, followed by a three week and a two week out of state, but with me tagging along. We have a family vacation planned as soon as school is out in early June as well. It's going to be a busy summer to say the least. 
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Unfortunately, DD was down due to a foot injury when auditions were going on in our area, bummer! Still going to have some fun stuff planned though!

As of right now, she will be out of school May 26th(she does online school btw). She will continue having normal scheduled classes until the beginning of June. She will continue having her privates as needed until nationals. She'll be away at Miss Ohio for a bit. She isn't competing in it, she has a couple friends going for the teen division and her DT  is the choreographer. Then she has her recital which will be more of a variety show on June 23rd, with pictures and rehearsals the same day. She has a performance July 20th. She will be at nationals July 19th-23rd. As of right now, its up in the air if her team will be going to World Dance Championship or not, so idk there. If so, that is August 1st-6th, so we will spend our time in New York City as "vacation". If they decide not to go, we will probably go to DancerPalooza in Long Beach, California, that same week, also as "vacation". She's doing an intensive hosted by another studio about 40 minutes away sometime in August also!

EDIT: As far as I know, I'm pretty sure she also has her eyes on a few masterclasses!

EDIT(again, lol!): DD is also going to take summer intensive classes when possible at the local ballet academy.

EDIT(sorry, our plans are more set in stone now!): Miss Ohio is done, it was an awesome week! DD will be starting vocal lessons sometime this summer, haven't decided on a first lesson date yet. She is taking four masterclasses at a local studio starting next week, and doing a ballet intensive at our local ballet school. We're also planning to go to Akron(at the WeatherVane PlayHouse) for a week or two for a musical theater camp she wants to go to, she's also taking a few masterclasses here and there at the same place. She is going to continue having solo privates before nationals in July. August 1-6 we're going to NYC for World Dance Championship. In September(not summer, but still exciting), we're going to San Diego, California for a conference that I'm going to. While I'm in meetings she's going to stay at the hotel and do schoolwork. Once I'm back we will do more vacationy type stuff. We're hoping to visit LA on our last day so she can go to some masterclasses. Maybe we'll get to do some in San Diego as well!
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
No SI this year. While school is out June 1, her studio still continues all through June so she'll have class and rehearsal every evening the whole first month of her summer break. Then we have recital and go to nationals, and the rest of the summer she will have song practice 3x a week (her school dance team) - preparing to sideline for football and starting choreo for their competition season, which will start in December. She is also taking an online class at our local community college because she wants a free period her senior year. She'll also take summer classes at her studio as well, and the rest of the time will likely be spent at the beach. As busy as it seems, it will be the calm before the storm, as senior year and college application season will be upon us. 

We haven't traveled over the summer in years that wasn't related to one of the kids' activities...hoping that NEXT summer, after she graduates, we can go on an actual, real, vacation. 
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
DD15 is doing summer dance classes and privates.  She's going en pointe this so that will be exciting!   She's starting later because she 1) started dance later and 2) took a year off so needed to use this past year to get her pre-break body back. Anyway, it's very exciting!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: