Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
mackiecat

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 102
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello just wondering if anyone has any feedback for summer intensives in Toronto.
I am looking at National Ballet of Canada in studio one
Sun dance And ignite by TOES.
My DD is 16 and is working on Rad advanced -1.
She has already done ballet jorgen there.
0
tappinmom

Avatar / Picture

Double Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 13,175
Reply with quote  #2 
I have a friend whose DD attended NBS for a number of years and raved about the intensive.  She also attended RWB and Ecole de Danse and said NBS was the best for training.
0
mackiecat

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 102
Reply with quote  #3 
By NBS do you mean the school? I was looking at the program offered by the company. DD wouldn't get into NBS especially since she is entering grade 12. It is a good program but really is a 4 week audition for the school. my DS is a full time student there.
0
tappinmom

Avatar / Picture

Double Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 13,175
Reply with quote  #4 
I was talking about the NBS SI.  I have a friend whose daughter attended the year round school as well and loved it.  She is still there well she auditions for trainee positions.
0
myasmum

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 419
Reply with quote  #5 
The school of cadence ballet is close to NBS has a great summer intensive my son goes there there's 1 audition left for summer intensive not sure of date but can look on thier site. They also have full time program BUT there have been kids just wanting summer program
0
cfdancemom

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 158
Reply with quote  #6 
Our SO does send some dancers to the National Ballet SI. She highly recommends it, and says it is a good program. But she doesn't send girls younger than 14 there. About that age. I never asked her why, but I would assume it would be 14 plus that would get the most from this program.

As we are a RAD studio, I asked our RAD teacher last year about the Sundance SI. She said it is a very good program and would highly recommend trying it at least once. I believe it is the only SI that the Royal Academy of Dance lends its name to in partnership as the official RAD summer program.

York University Fine Arts program also runs a Summer Intensive for students in high school I believe. I can't find anything for 2015 on the York U. website now, but I found past articles on the program from 2013 and 2014. I believe it is called FASI and it runs for a few weeks through the summer months. The program runs for music, dance, and one or two other disciplines, and you choose the one you want to apply for. Not sure if there are auditions, but I would think there would be.

Karpov Ballet also has a summer intensive. I would think it is similar to Ballet Jorgen. Karpov Ballet is a ballet specific studio that follows the Vaganova curriculum. I don't know any dancers that have done it, but I have a friend whose daughter is a competitive gymnast and she sent her there to try to improve her grace and give her some dance experince to incorporate into her routines. She said the studio is intense and she liked it. But again, she is not a dance mom, so she is coming from a totally different perspective and her reasoning for sending her daughter there was very specific.

How did you like the Ballet Jorgen SI? I have looked at it before and I have wondered about it. My dd is only 9, turning 10 this year, so she is still young. But I am always looking for stuff for her to do in the summer that she will enjoy. She doesn't want to do regular camps, so something dance related would be great.
0
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,095
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfdancemom
Our SO does send some dancers to the National Ballet SI. She highly recommends it, and says it is a good program. But she doesn't send girls younger than 14 there. About that age. I never asked her why, but I would assume it would be 14 plus that would get the most from this program.

As we are a RAD studio, I asked our RAD teacher last year about the Sundance SI. She said it is a very good program and would highly recommend trying it at least once. I believe it is the only SI that the Royal Academy of Dance lends its name to in partnership as the official RAD summer program.

York University Fine Arts program also runs a Summer Intensive for students in high school I believe. I can't find anything for 2015 on the York U. website now, but I found past articles on the program from 2013 and 2014. I believe it is called FASI and it runs for a few weeks through the summer months. The program runs for music, dance, and one or two other disciplines, and you choose the one you want to apply for. Not sure if there are auditions, but I would think there would be.

Karpov Ballet also has a summer intensive. I would think it is similar to Ballet Jorgen. Karpov Ballet is a ballet specific studio that follows the Vaganova curriculum. I don't know any dancers that have done it, but I have a friend whose daughter is a competitive gymnast and she sent her there to try to improve her grace and give her some dance experince to incorporate into her routines. She said the studio is intense and she liked it. But again, she is not a dance mom, so she is coming from a totally different perspective and her reasoning for sending her daughter there was very specific.

How did you like the Ballet Jorgen SI? I have looked at it before and I have wondered about it. My dd is only 9, turning 10 this year, so she is still young. But I am always looking for stuff for her to do in the summer that she will enjoy. She doesn't want to do regular camps, so something dance related would be great.


My DD (now 14) did the York University FASI program last summer and loved it - specifically the Collaboration in Contemporary Dance program.  She's also spent a couple of summers at Karpov. Having trained under Vladimir and Anna when she was younger, it's a comfortable fit for her and a VERY in-depth, take-no-prisoners program.  Highly recommend it.  
0
mackiecat

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 102
Reply with quote  #8 
Wow thanks for all the suggestions, I have a lot of work to do.

As for Ballet Jorgen, my daughter liked it. At age 14 she was put in the 16-20 level. You do a lot of different styles. I'm trying to find a July session as her brother is in Toronto at Nbs for July.
0
cdnmom

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 79
Reply with quote  #9 
mackiecat - You listed Ignite by TOES as one of the intensives you are considering.  There is a contest on Facebook to win a TOES Student Season pass which includes a free Ignite audition and free admission to an Improv Jam
https://www.facebook.com/TOESfordance?ref=ts&fref=ts

I entered (Wish me luck!)  -  If you are not a student, you can enter the contest on behalf of someone who has a valid student ID
0
misscheryl

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 220
Reply with quote  #10 
Karpov and Ignite are great SI programs
0
cdnmom

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 79
Reply with quote  #11 

Registration is now open for Peggy Baker Dance Projects - Annual August Intensive (Aug 10 - 14) at Canada's National Ballet School! http://peggybakerdance.com/teaching/august-intensive

0
piquepique

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiecat
Hello just wondering if anyone has any feedback for summer intensives in Toronto.
I am looking at National Ballet of Canada in studio one
Sun dance And ignite by TOES.
My DD is 16 and is working on Rad advanced -1.
She has already done ballet jorgen there.



Hello! My daughter will be 12 this summer and considering 1 week in RĂ©sidence at Ballet Jorgen SI. Anyone have any feedback on their dancers' experience at Ballet Jorgen?

She is also considering the 3 week program,a at Quinte (the non-professional stream).

Thanks for your input!
0
elastigal

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 80
Reply with quote  #13 
We have a dancer at our studio that did the Quinte SI 2 years in a row and she loved it.

Closer to Toronto there is also the Oakville Ballet summer intensive in July. They teach RAD and ABT curriculum.
0
myasmum

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 419
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by piquepique



Hello! My daughter will be 12 this summer and considering 1 week in RĂ©sidence at Ballet Jorgen SI. Anyone have any feedback on their dancers' experience at Ballet Jorgen?

She is also considering the 3 week program,a at Quinte (the non-professional stream).

Thanks for your input!


Hi my son who's 15 might for Ballet Jorgens this summer he was a tour youth cast for the 1st time this year for Nutcracker and LOVED it everyone was amazing the other kids who have done it before and gone to summer intensive really enjoyed it the over all people I really nice.

Not sure about quintes non professional stream I know some who are in the professional stream
0
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,095
Reply with quote  #15 
The only issue with Ballet Jurgen is that in the older age divisions, it doesn't seem to draw well and 16/17 year olds can get lumped in with 13/14 year olds.  At Age 12, your DD should be fine.

Another to consider is Karpov Ballet Academy in Richmond Hill (just north of Toronto - reachable by public transit and close to major highways).  DD did their intensive and the growth in her was astonishing in 3 weeks.  Very strict Vaganova with Russian teachers who have no verbal filter so be prepared for a quiet voice saying "this is correct" being the highlight of your day.  Full range of ballet training, combined with partnering (many male dancers involved), contemporary and a bit of jazz.  It may have changed a bit since DD was there, but it's definitely worth a look.  
0
jemn

High Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 39
Reply with quote  #16 
Hi everyone, besides Oakville does anyone know of any other western GTA summer programs? We're considering Oakville, but wanted to double check on any other programs before making any decisions. My daughter is only 11. 

thanks! 
0
cfdancemom

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 158
Reply with quote  #17 
We recently became aware of a new ballet intensive being held in Woodbridge in July. It is called The Ballet Lab and it is being run by ACE Dance Theatre. It is in its first year, but we went to check out an intro class about it over March Break and my DD11 liked it. She thought the two owners were quite good. They are young but came highly recommended to us so that is why we checked it out. The girls are both Ryerson Dance graduates and one did a program with NBS as well. They also do a lot of teaching around the GTA, including at Art and Soul and the Dance Zone. May be worth checking out.

We have also heard that the SunDance Program held in conjunction with R.A.D. is a fabulous program but it is located downtown by Ryerson. They have an intro 1 week program and the full 3-week program. It has come highly recommended by a number of people as well. The focus is ballet, but they also dabble in a couple of other genres. They pull in strong faculty and I have heard so many great things about it. I definitely would like my DD to try it one summer, but we would have to wrap our brains around transportation and what age it would be best to do this one.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: