Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Winterjoy

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #1 
DD has been accepted for the POB summer intensive, and we are waiting for results from London. We won't be able to do both.... so if London comes through as well (which may happen after the deadline for Paris, so this could all be moot), we would have to choose.

Any views on how these two programs compare? Personal experiences? I know this is not a ballet specific forum, but if I would ask for a comparison between programs on BTFD I'd be hung, drawn and quartered.....

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 

Now that's a super tough decision to make! 

Dd has friends (2 sisters) who did POB and absolutely loved it! I did hear them talk about it in person, but sadly, I don't recall many specifics. She knows a few people who did Royal's program as well, but I don't think anyone she knows did both. The POB SI is relatively newer as far as I know. 

How old is your dd? Could she do one in the future? Would she prefer Royal to POB? I'd probably be more inclined to take the bird in hand and go for the Paris Opera Ballet program and try for Royal again in the future. 

Winterjoy

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #3 
@tendumom - thanks for your reply, My daughter is 11, so there (hopefully!) would still be opportunity to try for the other program again next year (or be better at the application process so the two weeks would be consecutive...).

I hear what you are saying about a bird in hand, so I'm currently leaning to accepting the POB offer. My daughter is very excited about POB, I just want to make sure I do the right thing by her as we are travelling all the way from Australia.
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
WOW!  You must have a talented kid.

DD is 15 (to be 16) 

At 11, it's all the right thing! You can't go wrong. 

Royal is going to be RAD, which I believe that most of the Aussies do. 

POB will be slightly different--don't know a ton about their style.  

If she was older and looking for year round residency, I would say these things: 

The White Lodge program does not really have a lot to do with the Royal Ballet upper school.  

POB is a pretty exclusive. . . It's for the French and that's the way they see it.  Read David Hallberg's commentary in his recent book. They are not really into "outsiders" there permanently at the residential program. Many others have observed the same but if you just go for the summer I'm sure it's amazing. They do have very specific height and weight requirements. So you must have fit. I believe it is the oldest ballet school in the world. 
Winterjoy

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for your reply classydance, insights from people who have been on this dance journey longer are always so helpful! My DD does RAD, which is very popular in Australia.

My DD is very excited and grateful to have been accepted for POB, it’s just me fretting in the background :).

Plus it is only for a week, unlike the summer intensives in the US, which seems to go for 6 weeks or so! They are not an option for my DD as they are in the middle of our academic year - and she just started at a normal high school. More and more of her peers who are serious dancers start distance education and full time training at her age in Australia, much like the US I think.
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
You might want to get an account with Ballet Talk for Dancers. It can give you way more specific information. 
Winterjoy

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks classydancer - I have been reading the information on BTFD, just not game to post there yet :)
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

Now that's a super tough decision to make! 

Dd has friends (2 sisters) who did POB and absolutely loved it! I did hear them talk about it in person, but sadly, I don't recall many specifics. She knows a few people who did Royal's program as well, but I don't think anyone she knows did both. The POB SI is relatively newer as far as I know. 

How old is your dd? Could she do one in the future? Would she prefer Royal to POB? I'd probably be more inclined to take the bird in hand and go for the Paris Opera Ballet program and try for Royal again in the future. 

Tendumom, I heard the Royal Ballet program is only 2 weeks long?  Do you know if that's true?  It's DD's dream but I don't know if I want to spend that much money for such a short intensive.
PasDeChatMom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

Tendumom, I heard the Royal Ballet program is only 2 weeks long?  Do you know if that's true?  It's DD's dream but I don't know if I want to spend that much money for such a short intensive.

White Lodge is 1 week at the younger ages and 2 weeks for 14 & 15 year-olds.
Karpointe

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
My DD attended POB last summer. She enjoyed the teaching environment, the organization, the live music, the beautiful studios. She doesn't speak French, but there was always a student who would translate for the non-French speaking students. We particularly enjoyed the concluding show. She didn't live in the dorm, we stayed in Paris in an apartment and took the metro every day. One of the students in her class placed at Paris YAGP and also was accepted to this year's Prix de Lausanne. POB was very good with communication, and even put us in touch with other students from our region who were attending (you can opt out of this if you don't care to). As a family we treated this as our vacation, and would sightsee on the weekends. We saw La Sylphide at Palais Garnier. It was a great SI for her (and us).

I can't speak for Royal Ballet, but DD liked POB a lot. This summer we are staying in the US.
pirouettemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
These programs seem so short and quite expensive considering travel. I think the benefit would be to experience class at these world famous schools, not so much to improve or learn a lot. I think both schools state that summer students will not be considered for admission to their regular program.
Winterjoy

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpointe
My DD attended POB last summer. She enjoyed the teaching environment, the organization, the live music, the beautiful studios. She doesn't speak French, but there was always a student who would translate for the non-French speaking students. We particularly enjoyed the concluding show. She didn't live in the dorm, we stayed in Paris in an apartment and took the metro every day. One of the students in her class placed at Paris YAGP and also was accepted to this year's Prix de Lausanne. POB was very good with communication, and even put us in touch with other students from our region who were attending (you can opt out of this if you don't care to). As a family we treated this as our vacation, and would sightsee on the weekends. We saw La Sylphide at Palais Garnier. It was a great SI for her (and us).

I can't speak for Royal Ballet, but DD liked POB a lot. This summer we are staying in the US.

Thanks @Karpointe - I very much look forward to a similar type of experience [smile]
Winterjoy

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirouettemom
These programs seem so short and quite expensive considering travel. I think the benefit would be to experience class at these world famous schools, not so much to improve or learn a lot. I think both schools state that summer students will not be considered for admission to their regular program.

That's very true - but it is very much also an opportunity for us to visit family in Europe while we are there.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.