Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I was just wondering what they want when they say "headshot". Should it be with a bun or not? We have some nice ones of DD with her hair in a bun, but she is also wearing a crown and I'm not sure if that would be appropriate. Also, what do they use these headshots for? Thanks!
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Our pre-pro school always suggested in a bun, so she has always done the head shot photo in a bun. My daughter applies a light make-up, emphasizing her eyes. She'd always be thoughtful about the leotard (color and neckline) small earrings. I'd guess they are mainly to put a face to a name and so she wanted to look like she would in the audition. I'd think they can see posture and neck and maybe a bit of personality[wink])
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
To be honest, I don't think it matters.  It's not like they are using them as they do in a casting.  I'm guessing it's a bit of a formality. They file it with your paperwork.  Might use it to double check that the number and the name match.  But they don't use it in any way to determine if your dancer is worthy of getting in.  That's what the audition is for.

That's said, I'm not sure "I" would go with a shot with a crown.
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the responses. Currently, this is all we have, but I'm sure we could figure something else out

We figured out that we don't actually need the headshot for tomorrow, and will be retaking it, so I removed the photo.
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Also, this is the arabesque photo we have.
[image]
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I'm not able to see the photos.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
The headshots are primary used for identification of the dancer at the audition and sometimes shortly afterwards as they record their thoughts/decisions, etc. So, ideally, the headshot should look like the dancer appears at the audition- hair in a bun, light make up if that's what they might wear to the audition. Technically, not much of the torso should be seen, but what is seen is usually a simply leotard top, but it could easily just be a shirt. These do not need to be professional photos for SI auditions.

And, no, I would not be inclined to use one with her wearing a crown. Also like heidi459, I cannot see the photos. 

Dd has been doing SI auditions for years and I have taken many SI audition photos for other dancers over the years. The latter has been mainly for younger dancers whose parents are too stressed to do it themselves. Lots of the dancers do these photos for each other.
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
That's strange. How do you normally put on a photo? I just copied them in. Also, we will be retaking the headshot as I just realized that tomorrow we don't need one.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalletMom2
That's strange. How do you normally put on a photo? I just copied them in. Also, we will be retaking the headshot as I just realized that tomorrow we don't need one.

To add a photo, you have to click on the "add image" icon at the top of the page when you start or reply to a topic. I'm on my phone so I can't see it but it's next to the link icon. On the phone , there is an "attach files" option at the bottom of the screen.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 

I think you need to be a paying member of the board to add photos and to see them. I don't pay. 

Otherwise, you can load to a photo hosting site and use a link.. something like Photobucket for example. 

Good luck to your dd on her audition!

BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

I think you need to be a paying member of the board to add photos and to see them. I don't pay. 

Otherwise, you can load to a photo hosting site and use a link.. something like Photobucket for example. 

Good luck to your dd on her audition!

Yeah I can't seem to do it. Oh well!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
For whatever it's worth... I've added photos and videos and I'm not a paying member.  I know there's a certain way to add photos that only paying members will see but that's not the only way to add them.  I think I uploaded my photos to photobucket and then copied and pasted the URL.    
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalletMom2
All right, let's see if this works. Here's the arabesque photo

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/Ballet_Mom_2/media/unnamed_zpsniqc6xpl.jpg.html

There ya go!

If you have time to redo I'd suggest maybe taking one in just a simple leo and tights.  The one piece suit (or black leggings.. can't tell) obscures the lines a bit imo  (also if possible maybe do it against a plain background... just a blank wall).
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I agree that most classical programs are going to look for pink footed tights. If you do take the time to re do the photo, see if you can use a blank background. We always used an empty studio for these photos. Did you ask a trusted teacher to review? 
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
I agree that most classical programs are going to look for pink footed tights. If you do take the time to re do the photo, see if you can use a blank background. We always used an empty studio for these photos. Did you ask a trusted teacher to review?

The teacher was with us when we were taking it and said it was good. We have one studio with a blank wall, but the lighting is very bad in there.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Is she auditioning for classical programs? If so, I am surprised that the teacher ok'd the outfit. Most ask for pink footed tights. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
Is she auditioning for classical programs? If so, I am surprised that the teacher ok'd the outfit. Most ask for pink footed tights. 

I was thinking the same.  Many actually specify that the photo should be taken in black leo and tights.  Some will even go on to specify "against a clear background".  They want to clearly see the body in the position.  
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Yes, she is auditioning for classical programs. None of them specified a outfit or a clear background. Clear background where there is still good lighting is not an option for us, or else we would definitely do that.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
@heidi, agree. Even for the modern/contemporary programs my daughter wears classic leo/tights combo. And, yes, most programs will be specific about the photos. 
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Maybe the programs she's auditioning for just assume you know that a classical program would require pink tights?? I definitely would rethink the attire or at the very least call to check. I'm sure if you shared thhe programs she's interested in here there would be people who could let you know.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #21 
We're not trying to beat you up... just letting you know what is typical.  As you asked. I don't expect the photos will make or break her but this is typically what is expected.  And what the majority of dancers will do.

Can I ask what programs she is auditioning for?

eta:  and just a quick wave to my biggest fan.  [wave]  I'm so flattered that I remain at the forefront of your mind.
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Next year, we will be sure to take the photo in the different outfit, but this is DD's first year of auditioning and we weren't really sure about pictures. The DT who approved the picture was a well-known professional ballet dancer (in fact, two recently retired dancers from California started living near my mother, and they had heard about my DD's tiny studio because of this teacher as well as the others) so I'm sure that this will work for the time being. I'm sorry if this is coming across as defensive.[smile]
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
I would seriously consider calling the SI's to check what should be worn if your DD is seriously interested. It would be a shame to have that held against her.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
@dancermom128, you can usually find that information on their website under "summer intensive." It is pretty standard to wear pink footed tights in the audition photos. For the actual class, the program will specify if they want a black leotard, but everyone will be in pink tights. If they do not specify a black leo for the class, you can opt for a color. You are correct that it is important to check each program for their specifics. 
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
@dancermom128, you can usually find that information on their website under "summer intensive." It is pretty standard to wear pink footed tights in the audition photos. For the actual class, the program will specify if they want a black leotard, but everyone will be in pink tights. If they do not specify a black leo for the class, you can opt for a color. You are correct that it is important to check each program for their specifics. 

Yes, I am aware [smile] I was suggesting to the OP to double check with the SI's if she isn't seeing a required dress code. My DD is applying to BFA programs and all of the programs required black Leo's and pink tights.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: