Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
dance010

Avatar / Picture

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello! I am a new member of this forum and this will be my first post[crazy]

My DD18 has been dancing since she was 14/15 ish, been on a competitive dance team going on her 3rd year now. She has expressed interest in going away for a couple weeks this upcoming summer. She turns 19 in March. Some of the Intensives on our radar are 

NYCDA Summer Intensive
Joffrey Jazz and Contemporary 
Urbanity Dance 
The Rock School West 
The Ailey School
Hubbard Street Dance 
River North Dance Chicago
CPYB

She is more into Jazz and contemporary (contemporary being her favorite) and doesn't really want a full summer of ballet, although CPYB did seem somewhat appealing to her. Does anyone have any experience with these programs? How selective are they? She hasn't been dancing all that long but has a real passion for it and is a strong intermediate dancer I would say  (she dances 13-15 hrs a week). Also, she will be 18 when she auditions for programs but will be 19 when she attends, which age category would she audition in? Looking for a summer intensive where she can come home and see improvement in her technique and all around dancing! This is her first year debating a summer intensive so it's all a little daunting to me [confused] Any and all input would be much appreciated!
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,275
Reply with quote  #2 
River North Dance Chicago is closing
0
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 177
Reply with quote  #3 
@dance010

Is your daughter graduating high school this year? What are her dance goals? Her long term goals are going to make a difference in my suggestion.
0
ballerinamom13

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,679
Reply with quote  #4 
Of all the SI's my dd attended, she probably saw the most improvement from CPYB, (She's been to SAB twice, EBWSF, Boston and BalletMet).  But it's pretty much all about ballet.  CPYB groups kids by what they need to work on, not necessarily by age.  So your dd could potentially be in a group with some younger kids (14, 15, 16).  If that won't bother her and she wants improvement in her technique, they get my vote.  Ballet is the basis of all dance, so more ballet will always help her improve.  

I think tiptoemom is right also - much depends on goals.  If she's going to have fun and experience a SI, then CPYB may not be the place.  They are pretty intense.  
0
jwsqrdplus2

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,881
Reply with quote  #5 
I am pretty sure River North is fully closed now.

The Big Muddy Dance Company offers a 2-week dance intensive for 18+ in the summer.  Classes in most genres, but heavy on the contemporary.  However, unless you are looking for a scholarship to mitigate costs, there are no auditions.  You just sign up and pay the tuition.  
0
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,587
Reply with quote  #6 
My DD 17 is doing NYCDA this summer. If you get OD at a regional you are automatically accepted. If not acceptance is by video but I don't know anyone who hasn't been accepted. It will definitely give your DD a mix of genres with really good ballet everyday. I've only heard great things, my DD is very excited.
0
dance010

Avatar / Picture

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #7 
@tiptoemom ballerinamom13 she actually just graduated this past year (c/o 2016) she would love to pursue this as a profession, I think that right now she is just having some confidence issues, feels like she might not be good enough, etc. Thats why I was thinking a summer intensive would let her be able for her to do what she loves as well as see improvement in her dancing. I definitely believe that an "intense" summer intensive would be fine with her, and that is what she is prepared for with going away this summer. We have heard great things about CPYB and because there is no audition to attend, thats a plus for us.  

@dancemom128 NYCDA is one of the top intensives on her list actually, unfortunately we aren't going to any of their regional comps this season. We were unsure of how selective they were with the video auditions so that is good to hear! Is this your daughter's first year attending?

@jwsqrdplus2 @joriebelle Didn't know that River North was closed, thank you! also, I will look into the Big Muddy Dance Company, I have never heard of it neither has my daughter. 
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,983
Reply with quote  #8 
How long is the NYCDA intensive? If she is looking to improve, a 1 program isn't going to have the same impact as a longer program like 5 weeks.
0
dance010

Avatar / Picture

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
How long is the NYCDA intensive? If she is looking to improve, a 1 program isn't going to have the same impact as a longer program like 5 weeks.


Thats true, the NYCDA intensive is 2 weeks long, that can't really compare to something that is 5 weeks like CPYB
0
diglass

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 103
Reply with quote  #10 
Has your daughter ever attended a summer intensive before? 
If not, auditioning for several different ones can be a valuable experience in itself.
My daughter has attended CPYB and The Ailey SI. Both were a great experience but very different. She actualy really missed contemporay classes while at CPYB and Ailey has more ballet than a lot of people think they do. My daughter has several friends that have gone to Urbanity and love it! I also know someone that was dissappointed in the NY Joffrey program for various reasons. They moved to the Broadway Dance Center program and were much happier with the program at BDC.

0
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 177
Reply with quote  #11 
If you daughter is trying to pursue professional dance (ballet? contemporary?) is she looking to get more training and then audition for companies or pursue a BFA? The reason I ask is that at her age, she needs to think about how she is going to pursue her goals. My daughter has attended Rock (Not West) as both her home school and SI for 10 years. I actually do not have any feedback on Rock West because they are not near each other and the programs are different.  She also attended CPYB, both the 5 week program and the 2 week August program. For ballet, CPYB had the best progress. They really break down ballet and explain everything. I cannot recommend them enough.

My daughter has actually transitioned to a more contemporary focus and is now in a Performing Arts High School with 12/13 hours of dance (10 ballet 3 contemporary) a week and at Koresh in Philly for a modern/jazz/ballet focus after school. She will go the BFA route for college and her auditions and summer plans are different than her friends who will pursue a professional ballet company. She will look at the Fordham/Ailey program as an option. This summer she will be at Koresh. She really needs more jazz and modern and contemporary, along with the ballet in order to be ready to audition for college programs next year. She will work on a contemporary solo and a ballet variation.

If your daughter wants professional company, it sounds like she is going to need a lot more training in ballet. CPYB might be a great opportunity for growth and to determine if she might want to pursue ballet. They do take kids for post high school training, as does Rock. I'm sure that other pre-professional school do as well. She may need a year or two of finishing. Or, she may then want to audition for a professional company school and train there for another year or so.

If you want to discuss her short and long term goals, I'm sure we can all brainstorm some options for her. Also, you may want to check out ballet talk for dancers. They have an amazing forum for summer intensives.


0
dance010

Avatar / Picture

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
If you daughter is trying to pursue professional dance (ballet? contemporary?) is she looking to get more training and then audition for companies or pursue a BFA? The reason I ask is that at her age, she needs to think about how she is going to pursue her goals. My daughter has attended Rock (Not West) as both her home school and SI for 10 years. I actually do not have any feedback on Rock West because they are not near each other and the programs are different.  She also attended CPYB, both the 5 week program and the 2 week August program. For ballet, CPYB had the best progress. They really break down ballet and explain everything. I cannot recommend them enough.

My daughter has actually transitioned to a more contemporary focus and is now in a Performing Arts High School with 12/13 hours of dance (10 ballet 3 contemporary) a week and at Koresh in Philly for a modern/jazz/ballet focus after school. She will go the BFA route for college and her auditions and summer plans are different than her friends who will pursue a professional ballet company. She will look at the Fordham/Ailey program as an option. This summer she will be at Koresh. She really needs more jazz and modern and contemporary, along with the ballet in order to be ready to audition for college programs next year. She will work on a contemporary solo and a ballet variation.

If your daughter wants professional company, it sounds like she is going to need a lot more training in ballet. CPYB might be a great opportunity for growth and to determine if she might want to pursue ballet. They do take kids for post high school training, as does Rock. I'm sure that other pre-professional school do as well. She may need a year or two of finishing. Or, she may then want to audition for a professional company school and train there for another year or so.

If you want to discuss her short and long term goals, I'm sure we can all brainstorm some options for her. Also, you may want to check out ballet talk for dancers. They have an amazing forum for summer intensives.




She definitely does not want to pursue ballet professionally, but being in a contemporary company has always been a dream of hers. She has her options open. If you were to ask her she would say that school academics weren't her "thing". She has decent grades, all A's and B's, but she just wansnt into it very much and didn't want to go off to school this year to a university with no idea what she would use those academics for, and no idea in a major. So, on the SI end of things, Because she is a "late starter' in the dance world, a year or two more of training I thought would be beneficial for her. That is where we stand on the issue of summer intensives, do kids see improvement at SI's that are more jazz and contemporary focused? or would CPYB be more beneficial? I may start a new thread about brainstorming ideas for us, I am very overwhelmed and seem to be in over my head [frown]
0
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 173
Reply with quote  #13 
dance010 - Since she's an adult, perhaps this would be a good time for her to start researching the various paths to Rome and determine which one would best fit her? I get that you want to help but she's at the stage in her life where she needs to be a lot more independent. Honestly, a career as a professional dancer is a long shot, even for those that have studied dance since they were toddlers. However, if this is what she wants to do then now is the time for her to start to do her homework. Providing guidance is great, but she should be driving this bus. Good luck to her!
0
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,022
Reply with quote  #14 
My daughters have done rock west as commuters since they were early teens. It's a good program but by the second week my 18 year old had tired of it.
0
camercad

Avatar / Picture

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 87
Reply with quote  #15 
Steps on Broadway has a Summer Contemporary Dance Intensive for dancers 18 years and older. 
https://www.stepsnyc.com/professional-training-programs/summer-study-nyc/

0
copekayc

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #16 
Not sure if this fits in the time frame you are looking...but I can tell you The Dance Sessions is unlike any other intensive out there. Absolutely life changing experience with the best of the best instructors. It was created by Sonya Tayeh and Chris Jacobsen...they still teach at it too. Take a look, I know a lot of the teachers that go and dancers who have gone say it really changed them and their dancing for the better! 
0
dance010

Avatar / Picture

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by copekayc
Not sure if this fits in the time frame you are looking...but I can tell you The Dance Sessions is unlike any other intensive out there. Absolutely life changing experience with the best of the best instructors. It was created by Sonya Tayeh and Chris Jacobsen...they still teach at it too. Take a look, I know a lot of the teachers that go and dancers who have gone say it really changed them and their dancing for the better! 


Wow I'm going to have to have her look into that program... it sounds amazing! Thank you so much, we have never heard of it
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: