Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
OK... we have made the decision to leave the All Star world and transition to studio. We are in the process of trying to pick a new studio and our local options all have some great things, but there doesn't seem to be one great option.

One reliable (no warning signs that this studio could go under due to personal reasons as we see at one mostly promising local studio) source is a considerable drive from home, but it is well known, excellent faculty, and will absolutely provide her with good solid foundation training.

Just found that in person summer intensive auditions are this Saturday. Now... they do offer video auditions and you can arrange to audition during a class, but I wonder what this in person audition offers that we would miss out on by simply auditioning in a class.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom. Do you need to bring a prepared solo (she has none, she just turned 10, not en pointe, not competitive, etc. )? Attire? Music? How would we prepare? Is it even possible this late in the game?

It's at Central Florida Ballet if anyone is familiar with their process. And, thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
An audition for a summer intensive ballet program is normally just a regular ballet class.  Its best to wear a black leotard, pink tights and ballet shoes, and hair in a bun or similar neat style with hair off the face.  No solo or anything will be needed, just barre and then center work.  I don't know much about all star.  Does she take ballet classes?  If not, it might be less intimidating to take a regular class as an audition.  If this is the studio you are considering for fall, coming during a regular class would give you both an idea how things are handled on a day to day basis.  You may get a chance to talk to the teacher if she takes a regular class, which likely won't happen at the audition, and you might find a parent or two who can give you a different perspective than the staff will have. I'm not familiar with CFB specifically, but DD has auditioned for several summer intensives and attends a ballet school.  Good luck to your daughter, and you!
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you, that is so helpful. She has taken as much ballet as possible at the all star studio, which turned out to be about 3 hours a week, across three classes and including a 1/2 hour private lesson. However, we had a private lesson with an outside instructor who pointed out that there were more than a few deficiencies in her training. All easy enough to address with proper instruction, but nonetheless, I would never walk in to a traditional ballet studio and simply say, "3 1/2 hours a week for 2 years" because we know it's just not been as rigorous as that sounds, if that makes sense. Thank you again !
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
 I would never walk in to a traditional ballet studio and simply say, "3 1/2 hours a week for 2 years" because we know it's just not been as rigorous as that sounds, if that makes sense. 

My dancer has had several opportunities over the years where she has had to list how many years of ballet training she has had. She doesn't even count the years she took ballet at the comp school. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: