Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Becca

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #51 
So does anyone have any experience with Ballet West? Thinking about stacking the last three week session with Lines. DD is 15. 
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #52 
My daughter was accepted in to both SIs she auditioned for. Now we need to make up our mind as to which one whe'll attend. 
mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca
So does anyone have any experience with Ballet West? Thinking about stacking the last three week session with Lines. DD is 15. 

Yes, DD attended 3 years ago at age 14. It's a very solid SI, great ballet training. The kids also have a lot of freedom as long as they go out in groups.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #54 
dance010 - A summer dancing in NYC, how fun! Congrats to her.

momcrew - decisions are never easy, what two programs is she considering?

momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDeChatMom
dance010 - A summer dancing in NYC, how fun! Congrats to her.

momcrew - decisions are never easy, what two programs is she considering?

They are local programs; Ballet Detroit and Academy of Russian Classical Ballet. She also has the option to attend an SI at Eisenhower Dance and Complexions but her concern with those is there is no audition and they require minimal prior training... 

I think Ballet Detroit will be the winner. They've added a contemporary instructor to their pre-pro program this year and I believe there will be contemporary classes during the SI. There wasn't last year which is why she was looking at those last two programs, they have a modern and contemporary component. She said the Ballet Detroit audition was really tough where the Academy of Russian Classical had her demonstrating for a few things; so in her mind that might be an easier SI and she doesn't want that. 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew

They are local programs; Ballet Detroit and Academy of Russian Classical Ballet. She also has the option to attend an SI at Eisenhower Dance and Complexions but her concern with those is there is no audition and they require minimal prior training... 

I think Ballet Detroit will be the winner. They've added a contemporary instructor to their pre-pro program this year and I believe there will be contemporary classes during the SI. There wasn't last year which is why she was looking at those last two programs, they have a modern and contemporary component. She said the Ballet Detroit audition was really tough where the Academy of Russian Classical had her demonstrating for a few things; so in her mind that might be an easier SI and she doesn't want that. 

I spoke in depth with a representative of the Academy of Russian Classical Ballet and she said the audition was really for placement purposes, so I wouldn't necessarily rule it out based on the audition process. I'm not sure what your daughter's goals are, but both studios are notorious for poaching students.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
I spoke in depth with a representative of the Academy of Russian Classical Ballet and she said the audition was really for placement purposes, so I wouldn't necessarily rule it out based on the audition process. I'm not sure what your daughter's goals are, but both studios are notorious for poaching students.

She attended Ballet Detroit's SI last summer and attends their master classes regularly. She's not interested in a ballet career so I'm not worried about poaching, she just likes the extra opportunities these provide to strengthen her technique. 

I'd be interested to know what her placement would be then at ARCB. She is only 10 and was in the 8-11 year old audition although she was the oldest one there. She's not yet on pointe though so that makes it more difficult when placing her unless they allow her to do the pointe class in her ballet flats which is what she did last year at Ballet Detroit. 
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #58 
Sounds like Ballet Detroit would be a good fit for her again this year, especially with the addition of the contemporary classes.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #59 
Okay I need your input!  I thought we had decided on Bossov in Maine for 5 weeks and I actually printed out all the forms and signed them today, when the email from Bolshoi CT came and says they are giving DD12 a 25% tuition scholarship.  I can't afford all 6 weeks but the 3-week program would cost about as much as the 5-week Bossov program. 

Help me think this through and make the right choice!   

Just found out that Bolshoi does not offer transportation from the airport.  I don't really like that!  How would she get there then?  She is only 12 and would be traveling alone.  That makes me nervous.

Okay, now to make things more complicated, the studio that she did Moscow Nutcracker through, the director there invited her on an international trip some of his students are making this summer to Brazil and Korea.  They would be going to a competition in Brazil but also be getting some training, and then doing some training in Korea.  That trip would be $500 a week plus airfare.  I don't think we could afford both international trips because the airfare is so expensive, but I'm contemplating her doing the 2-week Korea trip.  

I don't know. . .help!  What would you do?  You guys help me see all angles and things I wouldn't have normally thought about.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #60 
How would she be traveling to Bossov?
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #61 
Quote:
How would she be traveling to Bossov?

She would be flying but they would meet her at the airport.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #62 
Ahh, okay - if no one meets her for Bolshoi CT then I don't think that I would send her there - 12 and her first away SI. As far as Bossov vs. international - tough choice, I'd list out pros and cons and expenses/expected expenses (Visas, foreign exchange or transaction fees, etc)
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #63 
I would consider using a car service (one with great reviews).  Also, have you called the Bolshoi people to ask what others do? They may have a car service they recommend.  The drivers come into the airport and meet people and can also help with luggage.  It would be the safest way to do it of all the options out there, I think.  We had to use a car service for a few weeks when dd's (age 12 at the time) dad was in training for a new job and no one from her school went to the studio she attended, so there was no one to take her.  I work 22 miles from the school, so no way I could do it.  It worked out great (except for the cost...).   Just a thought.  And no, it was not a limo.....haha. [smile]
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #64 
We've had friends use a licensed car service for their minors before, that is something I would feel comfortable with.

My daughter will be attending the first 3 week session at Bolshoi so if your daughter goes then I'm sure they will meet. 👍
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #65 
Thanks for the responses, everyone!  [smile] 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #66 

Why choose 3 weeks of training for the same cost of 5, when you know both are excellent quality? I'm not sure what the rationale is there except for the Bolshoi name perhaps? 

An international trip sounds like fun, but I'd be less comfortable in that environment... and I did send my child to Moscow but she was a bit older and had previously shown me that she can manage on her own in a big city. Yes, I am sure you are being reassured that she would never be alone, but you never know. In fact, I was told the same about being in Moscow and I know that was not the case at all. 

Keep in mind she is just 12. She is a beautifully talented dancer and if she continues to grow, will have many more opportunities in the future. Where she goes this year has zero influence on her future. Same for where she goes when she is 13, 14, 15 and on up these days. It doesn't matter until she is MUCH closer to taking the next step in the journey. Perspective, perspective, perspective. 

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #67 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmella
Would she be going to Korea without you? Who would be chaperoning her? I have heard really good things about the Bolshoi intensive. I don't know anything about Bossov.

She would be going on the international trip to Brazil without me, with another studio owner that she trains with 2 mornings a week.  That trip for 3 weeks, plus 2 weeks SI at his home studio, would cost almost exactly the same as Bossov.  I think we are deciding just between those two now.  I would rather her go to Brazil, where she also would be competing in the Brasilia Joinville Dance Competition and then do 2 weeks of a Bolshoi intensive in Brazil, then the Maine intensive.  Right now her choice is Maine though.  

We have to let Bossov know by the 15th.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #68 
Oh I totally missed that Bossov 5 week was the same price. I've heard great things about Bossov and since you already have experience with it plus it is more training than the either options I would go with that.

Korea and Brazil sound like wonderful opportunities, of course, so I understand the difficulty in your decision.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #69 
Did you decide Joriebelle?
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #70 
As a matter of fact we did.  On Monday night she decided she would do the international trip with the local studio that she goes to twice a week.  It's a long boring story but I'll fill ya in if you want.  [smile]  Originally, he was going to be taking the girls for 3 weeks to Brazil and then after was a two-week trip to Korea.  We couldn't afford both so DD12 said she would like to go to Brazil, where there would be Joinville Competition and then two weeks of an intensive.  But the SO said that the Korea dates now overlap Brazil so he has to decide which one they will do now, instead of doing both.  I informed DD12 and she said she would still like to go, whether it's Brazil or Korea.  So she'll be doing one of those trips and then the remainder of the weeks at his home studio.  Her SO from the pre-pro school isn't going to be thrilled but she needs to do something different this year, for a few different reasons.  The shorter time away makes my husband happy who wasn't thrilled with her potentially going away for 5 weeks.  And hopefully she'll grow a little.  [smile]  She's already choosing her variations for next year!

Thank you for asking!  [smile]
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #71 
How exciting for her, she's definitely going to have a summer of lifetime memories.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #72 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmella
Sounds like it will be a great summer for her! Just curious - why does she attend different studios - are they both ballet?

Her home studio is 45 minutes away.  Right now we're going through a transition period - last summer many of the teachers and students left so we only have the SO and one other teacher.  I met this local SO when a friend of mine whose daughter goes to our studio gave my number to him; he was auditioning dancers for his own production of Nutcracker plus Moscow Ballet Nutcracker.  So DD12 starting seeing him once a week to rehearse for Nutcracker.  We established a relationship through that and he ended up asking DD to be in another winter performance and a performance showcase at his studio.  He just recently took over the studio here, and besides that he runs a non-profit theatre that does performances.  Which is how DD and her friend were able to get a part in the Nutcracker without belonging to his home studio.

He runs a "homeschool" class 3 times a week for 2.5 hours each so we go on Monday and Friday.  He only charges $30 per day and there are just 4 dancers in the class - my DD, her friend, and two of the SO's students.  A couple of months ago he let me know about this international opportunity and at the time I didn't think it would work at all, and I thought it would be very expensive, but because he has contacts in both of those places the lodging/food would be cheap and we would mostly have to worry about airfare.

Yesterday my husband worked from home so we could take her to apply for a passport!  She's gotten to do more in her short life than I have in all of mine.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #73 
I was going to mention the passport but figured you already thought of that!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #74 
Quote:
I was going to mention the passport but figured you already thought of that!

Do you know if she needs a travel VISA too and also if I need to sign a guardian form for her SO since we won't be going with her?
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #75 
Thanks  [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.