Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,921
Reply with quote  #26 
Dd's SAB auditions where similar to what Is described above. Her first one was in a huge studio and was an actual class. She loved the experience. She auditioned the next year, just to take the class and it was a very different experience. It was packed and in a smaller.studio. Other dancers had no spacial awareness. Worse, the class wasn't evena whole hour.
0
camercad

Avatar / Picture

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #27 
DD talked me into attending the PBT audition last night. It's local, she loves Mr. Marshall's audition class, and she wanted to keep up her auditioning skills. Mr. Marshall recognized her and they had a nice talk - she has been nonstop smiling since then.

ETA: DD received her PBT acceptance last Friday - she is a little bit sad that she won't be able to attend since she will be in Italy, but glad to have been invited nonetheless.
0
Oglefresh

Avatar / Picture

Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #28 
Janet Popeleski ( PBT) did the audition recently for DD. Said she received gentle correction and she ran a nice class. A good kick-off to the SI audition season. Off to Pittsburgh for Kirov and SAB.
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,190
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by camercad
DD talked me into attending the PBT audition last night. It's local, she loves Mr. Marshall's audition class, and she wanted to keep up her auditioning skills. Mr. Marshall recognized her and they had a nice talk - she has been nonstop smiling since then. 


Have you done this one before?  DD12 got an acceptance email today with a scholarship. They said the scholarship info would be in a MAILED letter?  I didn't know they did it that way; any scholarships she has been offered in the past have been in the email.

I had heard that the focus is on Balanchine technique.  Is that wrong?

Thanks for any info!
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,921
Reply with quote  #30 

Personally, I have never heard PBT mentioned as a Balanchine style program or even a particularly Balanchine influenced program. I researched Balanchine style or influenced programs a great deal for both SIs and year round when dd was changing her training. 

A small number of programs do send snail mail responses for some reason or another. I'd say over 95% of dd's responses came by email over the years. She did get one phone call response (which was fun, kind of exciting and obviously an acceptance). I do recall a scholarship that came by snail mail and it wasn't PBT either, so it's not unheard of. I also recall one response that we never got an email for, just regular mail. 

I hope no one was scheduled to audition at Kansas City this weekend. So many cancelled auditions there this weekend, including that regional audition for many programs! 

0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,190
Reply with quote  #31 
Thanks for the info, tendumom.  I noticed they had done Balanchine Nutcracker (I can't even tell you what that means) and that they do seem to have several Balanchine ballets in their repertoire.  DD12 has been trained more in the vaganova style.

I heard about those KC cancellations too!  Thankfully we're not in the that area.
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,921
Reply with quote  #32 

Most major companies do at least a few Balanchine works. Pittsburgh hasn't done Balanchine's Nut in over 15 years, so it's been quite a long time. 

To do a Balanchine piece of choreography, whether it is the Nutcracker or something like "Who Cares" requires approval of the Balanchine trust. The trust sends out a repetiteur who sets the choreography and makes sure it is done properly. The trust also approves of costuming and any other related staging details. They carefully control the copyrights so videos can be hard to find. If you see Balanchine's Nut in NYC for example, you will see the very same Nut in PA or Oregon and anywhere else that performs his version. 

A general curiosity question... Do your students get recommendations for SI auditions from their schools? At dd's first ballet school, a list was sent out of recommended programs. It was a fairly short list (maybe 10 total at most). Only those dancers who were of a certain level/age were encouraged to even audition. At her next school, you were supposed to submit a list of programs you were interested in a few days before fall conferences. They would review that list in the conference, making additional recommendations. I loved that and wished dd had benefited from that faculty sooner. Their recommendations were programs she had not considered before and were all spot on (acceptances, scholarship money, and just all round good matches). 

0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,190
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

Most major companies do at least a few Balanchine works. Pittsburgh hasn't done Balanchine's Nut in over 15 years, so it's been quite a long time. 

To do a Balanchine piece of choreography, whether it is the Nutcracker or something like "Who Cares" requires approval of the Balanchine trust. The trust sends out a repetiteur who sets the choreography and makes sure it is done properly. The trust also approves of costuming and any other related staging details. They carefully control the copyrights so videos can be hard to find. If you see Balanchine's Nut in NYC for example, you will see the very same Nut in PA or Oregon and anywhere else that performs his version. 

A general curiosity question... Do your students get recommendations for SI auditions from their schools? At dd's first ballet school, a list was sent out of recommended programs. It was a fairly short list (maybe 10 total at most). Only those dancers who were of a certain level/age were encouraged to even audition. At her next school, you were supposed to submit a list of programs you were interested in a few days before fall conferences. They would review that list in the conference, making additional recommendations. I loved that and wished dd had benefited from that faculty sooner. Their recommendations were programs she had not considered before and were all spot on (acceptances, scholarship money, and just all round good matches). 



Wow I had no clue about the having to get approval to do Balanchine work.  When I did a search for PBT, Nutcracker came up with Balanchine in parentheses.  I didn't click on it until now and saw that it was indeed several years ago.  I think I just assumed it was recent because it was the first thing that came up on my search.  Thank you for explaining that to me.  I had no idea!

SO does let dancers know if he thinks they are ready or not to go away to SI, if they ask.  He doesn't ever suggest anyone going away but he doesn't stand in their way either.  I remember at the time that he did not think my almost 16-at-the-time DD was ready to go away but she got accepted to Bossov and she went, and it was the best thing for her.  She was very shy at the time but it is that program that brought her out of her shell and she hasn't been the same since!  SO does think DD12 is ready but I know he doesn't want her to go!

No, our SO doesn't give us a list of programs to audition for.  DD12 auditioned last year and the year before basically just for audition experience.  Last year SO told us he thought she was too young to go away but that next year (which is now) would be okay.  Although he hasn't specifically given her a list he's mentioned some of the bigger programs like ABT and Bolshoi.  When I told him she did Pittsburgh he wasn't very happy and made a comment about the Balanchine emphasis, but I've spoken to a couple of people since then, plus you, who've said that isn't true.  Honestly, I don't think he wants her going away this year either but we come from a VERY small studio and she needs to start getting experience somewhere else.  I am thankful for all he does with her but she has yet to do any partnering.  The other girl that she is paired with in everything has a pas de deux this year and my DD hasn't even gotten to practice partnering let alone do a duet.  I just think it will be good for her to get experience somewhere else.  The programs I picked for her to audition at this year were mostly programs that are close enough that I can drive to bring her there (I don't fly anymore).  I don't want to send her on a plane by herself.  She is still auditioning for ABT and Bolshoi again this year for the experience but it's not a place she'll go if she's accepted.  She IS considering Bossov which is in Maine and she would have to fly there, but that program is different in that they have someone pick the dancers up from the airport.  My 19yo went there 4 years ago and loved it.  Besides that one, she's also auditioning for KC Ballet, Cincinnati, and Pennsylvania.  I'd love to hear if you have any insights on any of them.  She is doing OBT audition but that one is too far for this year.  I admit I'm very new to all of this so I know NOTHING.  

I was actually surprised she got accepted to Pittsburgh.  The audition was last weekend and my 20yo daughter came with me because I hate driving in Chicago.  We were able to watch through the window.  There were 30 dancers and they were given their numbers according to age.  She happened to be the youngest and shortest dancer there, and even though she's 12 she could probably pass for 9.  They were lined up according to age so she was in the very back row in the corner.  They did some things for groups, but I was getting a little upset because it didn't seem like they were ever looking at her. My oldest daughter thought the same thing, that they barely looked at her.  So yesterday I was shocked when not only did she get accepted but they said a scholarship offer would be coming in the mail.  I'm assuming since she is only 12 that it will be a small scholarship but we'll find out soon.

Anyway, I really appreciate your insight.  You've been in the ballet world much longer than I have and you know so much more.  I'm kinda winging it and hoping I'm doing the right thing.

Oh one more question; did your DD ever do World Ballet Competition in Florida?  I sent in an audition video this year for the first time.
0
momcrew

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 457
Reply with quote  #34 
My oldest did her audition today (had to rush yesterday for new headshots and arabasque photo) and she's disappointed with her performance. Last year they split the girls up (she's 10) so she auditioned with maybe 13 being the oldest. This year they were all together so she was mixed in with girls as old as 18. She was also the only girl not on pointe which is already a sore spot with her. Oh well, all we can do now is wait and see. Being only 10 there are not a whole lot of options for her locally, unfortunately.
0
oatmella

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 65
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle


Wow I had no clue about the having to get approval to do Balanchine work.  When I did a search for PBT, Nutcracker came up with Balanchine in parentheses.  I didn't click on it until now and saw that it was indeed several years ago.  I think I just assumed it was recent because it was the first thing that came up on my search.  Thank you for explaining that to me.  I had no idea!

SO does let dancers know if he thinks they are ready or not to go away to SI, if they ask.  He doesn't ever suggest anyone going away but he doesn't stand in their way either.  I remember at the time that he did not think my almost 16-at-the-time DD was ready to go away but she got accepted to Bossov and she went, and it was the best thing for her.  She was very shy at the time but it is that program that brought her out of her shell and she hasn't been the same since!  SO does think DD12 is ready but I know he doesn't want her to go!

No, our SO doesn't give us a list of programs to audition for.  DD12 auditioned last year and the year before basically just for audition experience.  Last year SO told us he thought she was too young to go away but that next year (which is now) would be okay.  Although he hasn't specifically given her a list he's mentioned some of the bigger programs like ABT and Bolshoi.  When I told him she did Pittsburgh he wasn't very happy and made a comment about the Balanchine emphasis, but I've spoken to a couple of people since then, plus you, who've said that isn't true.  Honestly, I don't think he wants her going away this year either but we come from a VERY small studio and she needs to start getting experience somewhere else.  I am thankful for all he does with her but she has yet to do any partnering.  The other girl that she is paired with in everything has a pas de deux this year and my DD hasn't even gotten to practice partnering let alone do a duet.  I just think it will be good for her to get experience somewhere else.  The programs I picked for her to audition at this year were mostly programs that are close enough that I can drive to bring her there (I don't fly anymore).  I don't want to send her on a plane by herself.  She is still auditioning for ABT and Bolshoi again this year for the experience but it's not a place she'll go if she's accepted.  She IS considering Bossov which is in Maine and she would have to fly there, but that program is different in that they have someone pick the dancers up from the airport.  My 19yo went there 4 years ago and loved it.  Besides that one, she's also auditioning for KC Ballet, Cincinnati, and Pennsylvania.  I'd love to hear if you have any insights on any of them.  She is doing OBT audition but that one is too far for this year.  I admit I'm very new to all of this so I know NOTHING.  

I was actually surprised she got accepted to Pittsburgh.  The audition was last weekend and my 20yo daughter came with me because I hate driving in Chicago.  We were able to watch through the window.  There were 30 dancers and they were given their numbers according to age.  She happened to be the youngest and shortest dancer there, and even though she's 12 she could probably pass for 9.  They were lined up according to age so she was in the very back row in the corner.  They did some things for groups, but I was getting a little upset because it didn't seem like they were ever looking at her. My oldest daughter thought the same thing, that they barely looked at her.  So yesterday I was shocked when not only did she get accepted but they said a scholarship offer would be coming in the mail.  I'm assuming since she is only 12 that it will be a small scholarship but we'll find out soon.

Anyway, I really appreciate your insight.  You've been in the ballet world much longer than I have and you know so much more.  I'm kinda winging it and hoping I'm doing the right thing.

Oh one more question; did your DD ever do World Ballet Competition in Florida?  I sent in an audition video this year for the first time.


I have heard that the Bolshoi intensive is a really great program especially for younger kids. I think most summer intensives would not offer partnering classes for 12 year olds - as far as I know, it is usually reserved for the older kids.
We don't have personal experience, but we know girls that have participated in WBC in Florida and they had a good experience. The scoring is shown right after they perform and supposedly the scoring is done more fairly.
0
5678StarMom

Avatar / Picture

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 575
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

Personally, I have never heard PBT mentioned as a Balanchine style program or even a particularly Balanchine influenced program. I researched Balanchine style or influenced programs a great deal for both SIs and year round when dd was changing her training. 

A small number of programs do send snail mail responses for some reason or another. I'd say over 95% of dd's responses came by email over the years. She did get one phone call response (which was fun, kind of exciting and obviously an acceptance). I do recall a scholarship that came by snail mail and it wasn't PBT either, so it's not unheard of. I also recall one response that we never got an email for, just regular mail. 

I hope no one was scheduled to audition at Kansas City this weekend. So many cancelled auditions there this weekend, including that regional audition for many programs! 



The about 8 dancers displaced from the COCA audition showed up at Joffrey for the Nutmeg audition instead! All at once and almost late! So sad that the regional audition was canceled with all that planning!
0
Angelart73

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #37 
My daughter attended CPYB last summer and loved it. An excellent ballet program where you come away stronger and better. She received a full ballet scholarship for Joffrey this summer and we are still waiting on additional audition results before making a decision. She's hoping for a scholarship to Charlotte Ballet as she would love to dance with them some day :-)
0
LolaD

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 8
Reply with quote  #38 
My grand has been dancing on a high school for two years....with some studio mixed in. Next year she is only doing studio. She did Rockettes
tryouts last weekend. She is missed lots of auditions because of school dance. They compete in Nationals next weekend then we only have a fews games left. Is there a list of auditions someplace.
0
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 597
Reply with quote  #39 

We were all set to do some of the bigger junior intensive auditions. DD10's experience auditioning for Canada's National Ballet school really bummed her out, even though we knew it wasn't a traditional SI.  She decided not to audition for Royal Winnipeg or Alberta. 

Unfortunately, most of the other US SI auditions are in direct conflict with Sleeping Beauty rehearsals and, renting studio and teacher time for video auditions is just not in the budget this year.

So, it looks like DD will be doing the local, audition-free Complexions in Detroit (depending on money) and then ballet privates the rest of the summer. Her DT said, in her experience, DD will get so much more from the privates than a 2-week junior ballet intensive. I agree.

0
momcrew

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 457
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
So, it looks like DD will be doing the local, audition-free Complexions in Detroit (depending on money) and then ballet privates the rest of the summer. Her DT said, in her experience, DD will get so much more from the privates than a 2-week junior ballet intensive. I agree.


I thought Complexions had a minimum age of 11 or 12?  
0
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 597
Reply with quote  #41 
DD turns 11 in April, which is Complexions minimum age.
0
camercad

Avatar / Picture

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #42 
My DD attending the Complexions Detroit intensive at 12. While I didn't really see a noticeable technical improvement (two weeks isn't very long), it helped push her out of her classical-only mindset to a broader view of ballet and dance.
0
momcrew

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 457
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
DD turns 11 in April, which is Complexions minimum age.


Lucky. My daughter doesn't turn 11 until September. A lot of the programs she wanted to look at (Complexion, Marygrove, Blue Lake) had a minimum age of 11 or 12. She tried to talk me into Interlochen. Lol. When I have an extra $6k laying around we'll talk [wink]
0
khamade

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #44 
My DD (12) got into several programs and we need to make some decisions. She went to Orlando last year and enjoyed it. She just got an acceptance from Orlando for this summer today. She is also considering Chicago and possibly Gelsey Kirkland (although I'm not ready for a NY intensive yet). She is still awaiting a response from Jillana.

Kirov is her top choice among her current options. A trusted friend advised me to look into the nutrition (both education and actual meals) provided at Kirov. She didn't have first hand experience but felt it was a valid concern. If your child has attended, did they enjoy the meals, get enough to eat or feel guided to limit their intake?

DD is small, but strong and healthy and learning to develop good habits and obviously I want to be sure she has the fuel she needs to work hard while she is dancing.
She is also thinking about attending the Kansas City audition this weekend. I need some direction.
0
Becca

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,729
Reply with quote  #45 
My DD attended Kirov in 2013 & 2014. No issues with food except favorites would run out (certain cereals, drinks, etc). Teachers are Russian so there might be some comments here or there. (Example when my DD was 12 they were told to wear makeup to parent observation because "your faces not so good") Nothing more harmful than that. 
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,921
Reply with quote  #46 
Nice to see some new posters on this thread! 

I admit I am missing the quick responses from SI programs even though it did not seem so quick at the time! DD did her 4th company audition today. She's survived any cuts made at these auditions (some cut part way and some did not) which is nice but doesn't mean anything. She's received 2 SI invitations and was told at the other 2 programs that notifications of any sort won't begin until March or April. She's hoping for something paid, but also hoping for anything, including another trainee program. 
0
Oglefresh

Avatar / Picture

Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #47 
Have yet to talk with the Academy director but DD mentioned to her she was accepted to Kirov and thought she should consider her other options. She got into Pittsburgh and likes the partnering aspect for 12 year olds as she was of a few last year in Charlotte who got to partner. Just finished up with Gelsey Kirkland and Washington. Hopefully as we approach deadlines from earlier SIs these last ones will respond quickly. Only thing I can come up with is the pure Vagonova training she would be exposed too might get her into other training habits outside of her academy training so the AD might not want that. Washington looks like a good training option.
0
Oglefresh

Avatar / Picture

Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #48 
Having experience with Russian teachers Becca comment was humorous and am pretty sure she meant " a light natural use of makeup will enhance your beauty as you perform!"
. Our teachers says things that come out sounding literal but are well meaning and direct though. Enjoy the unfiltered comments as most end up humerous especially commenting on how things are looking during a rehearsal or class when girls are not correcting themselves.
0
mom2tall

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 70
Reply with quote  #49 
Tendumom-good luck to your DD and do keep us posted!

Regarding Kirov, I imagine for the summer there won't be more than random comments about looks and weight but during the year round program there are.  DD knows several dancers who left because of the pressure regarding food/weight and these girls were slim to begin with! It seems to be the Russian way at least there.  Washington is a strong program as well but not Russian per say although there are some Eastern European teachers. 

My advice having seen DD attend many a SI nutrition seminar is to have a frank talk before your DK goes about your feeling regarding diet because you never know what they will hear/pick up on at these talks and some, but not most, do still impart potentially dangerous information. Those seminars occur doing the first week so you can check in after it and touch bases.
0
Becca

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,729
Reply with quote  #50 
My DD 14 is super excited to attend Lines this summer. We might add on another program. Still trying to figure it all out.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: