Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
It's that time of year again!
Seems like summer just ended.
Have your dk's auditioned for any summer intensives yet this year?
Planning to?
Any results?

Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2228
It's that time of year again!
Seems like summer just ended.
Have your dk's auditioned for any summer intensives yet this year?
Planning to?
Any results?

Dd14 auditioned for one, but even if she gets in, I don't know that she will go. We are thinking family vacation this summer, maybe with a week long studio intensive, either in Vancouver or Toronto. (Family in both areas)
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Not yet.  Feeling a little overwhelmed with planning for Christmas but we really need to start looking into where she wants to audition!  And where I can afford LOL.
momcrew

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My daughter has her heart set on going back to where she went last summer. Auditions are not until January so it's not quite on my radar yet. 
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
DD does not plan to travel.  I've done headshots for one of her friends though, have to work on arabesque shots, etc once Nutcracker is over.
camercad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
After attending intensives for the past few summers, my husband and I felt DD should try something different. We offered to send her to a language immersion summer abroad program in Italy (she is studying the language in high school) in 2017. This would mean no ballet summer intensive and no auditions (less driving and nail-biting waiting for results for me!).
She is uncertain about taking our offer.
As a non-dancing parent, I am surprised - it's Italy, for goodness sake.
As a parent to a dancer, I am not surprised at all.

Emmie46

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We have our first audition this month for the Joffrey. We're also thinking about The Rock.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Every weekend in January features something for us! Auditions and YAGP!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Us too; busy busy!  The first weekend is Pittsburgh Ballet audition, next weekend YAGP, then KC Ballet & Cincinnati Ballet audition, then ABT ballet audition!
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Happy New Year!

So after weeks of discussion, it appears that my daughter is only going to do one in-person audition this year and three video auditions. We recorded the videos last week - 3 hours for about 15 minutes of footage - that was a chore. However, only two of the 4 places she wants to audition are coming to our state and one of those auditions conflicts with a pre-existing commitment. The in-person audition she is attending isn't until February, so we are waiting to submit 2 of the video auditions as they have tight deadlines upon acceptance (optimistic thinking, I know heh).

How about everyone else? When do auditions start?
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
We are also down to one in person audition. It's her first choice and we are putting all eggs into this basket at the moment. Audition is mid-January and from what I've researched results come out within a couple of weeks, so if she isn't accepted then we have time to submit a couple of video auditions. And.... still waiting for one of the programs she attended last year to put out any info on how they are structuring their summer program this year [wink]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 

So strange not to be even looking at SI auditions after all these years. Dd is concentrating on company auditions, hoping to move up a rung on the latter in the ballet world, or at least a trainee program elsewhere. Summer is really up in the air based on all that. Ideally does not want one of those situations where you have to attend the SI and then find out if you have a year round position. Not stressful at the moment, but I imagine it might get that way! I do imagine that she may do an SI audition or two before the season ends. 

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Dd(16) won't need to go thru the whole process this year. She's decided to stick with 3 of the programs she did last summer and is an automatic in as an alum. Figures she had such amazing experiences last year that there's no reason to mess with success. So it's 1 wk with the Rockettes, 6 wks at Bossov, and then another 2-3 wks at a local program. I must say... it's nice not to have all that looming over her (our) head.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
That's fantastic she can go to the Rockettes one!  My DD19 did Bossov 4 years ago and loved it.  
dancer456

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
tendumom-
Merde to you and your daughter for making it this far (past the SI audition place), and best wishes for the upcoming cattle calls.  Last year was the first year my eldest dd didn't audition at all, and it felt so strange to see her at home every Saturday in January/February. Luckily (or unluckily) my middle dd was still on the ballet track, so I had her to ferry around, but nonetheless, it is an adjustment when SI season is not a thing. 
dancer456

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Dd 15 is working on her list, although even if she gets into a program, we are unsure about the finances now that we are paying for her sister's college. 

On her list so far as possibilities:
PNB, SFB, Houston, and Boston. Maybe also OBT and Ballet Austin. She really wants a big program, but I'm encouraging something smaller. She'll probably end up doing 4-5 auditions total.

Heidi-
What did your dd like about Bossov?
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer456

Heidi-
What did your dd like about Bossov?

She'd pursued it because of it's reputation as a bit of a hidden gem. Not sure why it gets overlooked... there's little to no info about it on BT4D. Maybe because there's no affiliation w/a company or well-known school?  Maybe because it's in the middle of nowhere small town Maine?  Or because the AD is happy w/it being what it is & doesn't feel the need to promote it more?    I honestly don't know but dd came away feeling like she'd grown by leaps & bounds. Loved the teachers.  Loved that it was so small allowing for a great deal of individual attention.  Loved that it leaned classical Russian.  Loved that there was so much dancing (long days & even 1/2 days on Sat).  And that they put together a full production for an end of SI performance complete w/beautiful costumes & sets.  Last summer they did Don Q, I think they're doing Giselle this year.  That was huge for dd because it allowed them to go beyond the technique and delve into the performance aspect too.    

As for me, I especially liked the price.  Dd did 1 wk of the Rockettes, 1 wk at nyc contemp program, 5 wks at Bossov, & then 2 wks at a Boston coaching program for what it could have cost me to send her to some of those more well known 5 wk SIs.  And while I understand the appeal of being accepted to and attending a coveted 3 letter SI, it just feels like a no brainer to us.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
 it is an adjustment when SI season is not a thing. 

I chuckled a little only because I think she is already scheduled for more company auditions than she ever did for SIs in a single season! Spreading a wide net and not expecting much return from the large cattle calls. And, just last night, I heard her on the phone talking to a relative and saying that she might do some SI auditions at the end of the SI audition season anyway. I suspect she will do the Ballet Austin one again. She'd love to go back there yet again. I think it may very well be her favorite SI program of all. Not sure it will happen as Ballet Austin is pricey (aren't they all?) and dh is really pushing for her to get some additional college credits under her belt this summer at her university (she needs to earn a certain number of credits on campus to get her degree). 
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
DD has two in person auditions and 3 video auditions.  Depending on what she ends up doing with the longer SI's she would also like to go back to Camp Protege this year.  She already got the alum email and it's pretty late this year, so she can probably do it regardless of any other SI's she may end up attending.  I'm relived that she's only doing 2 in person auditions... and one of them is in NYC after she gets back there from her winter break from school, so there's no additional travel for that one, so that's wonderful. [smile]
camercad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
No SI auditions for us either - convinced DD to attend the Italy language immersion program. But, I did promise her that I'd see if she could take ballet classes while in Italy. I've started an email conversation with one school that is also connected to the professional ballet company in the area about potential drop-in classes and/or privates. Thank goodness for Google Translate!
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

I chuckled a little only because I think she is already scheduled for more company auditions than she ever did for SIs in a single season! Spreading a wide net and not expecting much return from the large cattle calls. And, just last night, I heard her on the phone talking to a relative and saying that she might do some SI auditions at the end of the SI audition season anyway. I suspect she will do the Ballet Austin one again. She'd love to go back there yet again. I think it may very well be her favorite SI program of all. Not sure it will happen as Ballet Austin is pricey (aren't they all?) and dh is really pushing for her to get some additional college credits under her belt this summer at her university (she needs to earn a certain number of credits on campus to get her degree). 

That's great that she is able to schedule many company auditions. With commitments to a current company (weekend rehearsals and tours), it can be difficult to get away for auditions. Applying for a company class audition could be the best bet.

I have no idea what my daughter will be doing this summer; could be anything from an overseas tour with her current co, taking college classes or teaching. She might attend an SI, but only if there is a scholarship or free/inexpensive accomodations. We won't be spending $5000+ to send her, although she has been fortunate to have attended some big name programs in the past.
mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
DD's craziness starts tomorrow if the weather holds out. It seems like she will be auditioning more than in past years because she graduates HS and is taking a gap year to train next year so she will be auditioning for SIs and trainee programs.

Good luck to all those auditioning for SIs and companies.
Oglefresh

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
SAB, Kirov, Washington, Gelsey Kirkland, Pittsburgh and Indiana Ballet Conservatory on our 12 year old DD plate in January. She went to Charlotte last year and BalletMet year before. Anyone having experiences or advice on these auditions or programs I Thank You for any information.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Not sure where she will be auditioning for SAB, but it will most likely be extremely crowded.  DD auditioned in Orange County and it was a little nuts. However, that was a long time ago, so they could break up the groups a little more these days.  She should be ready for a large crowd and for 12, they will probably only do pointe at the end of the audition, so make sure her pointe shoes are broken in.   Not sure if they still go to each person and lift the dancers legs, but they did that in dd's auditions both years.  That can be a little weird, so you might want to tell her there's a possibility that they will do that.  Someone on the board who has auditioned more recently can probably tell you if they are still doing that.  There might be info about it on BTFD too.
camercad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #25 
DD attended Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre SI as a 14 year old two summers ago and was accepted last summer too (decided on a different program). She counts Dennis Marshall's audition class as the most fun - she seems to respond well to the artistry details in his combinations. If I was giving audition tips, I'd tell dancers to pay careful attention to this.
She definitely enjoyed the program, especially all the partnering  - I have a 2015 review up on Ballet Talk.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: