Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #76 
I was going to mention the passport but figured you already thought of that!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #77 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDeChatMom
I was going to mention the passport but figured you already thought of that!

Do you know if she needs a travel VISA too and also if I need to sign a guardian form for her SO since we won't be going with her?
oatmella

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #78 
She would need a tourist visa for Brazil but not for South Korea. I'm not sure about the guardian form, but I am assuming you would need to have one.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #79 
Thanks  [smile]
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #80 
Check out the State Department's websites for more information on traveling to those two countries:

South Korea - https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/korea-south.html
Brazil - https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/brazil.html

mic123

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #81 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

Do you know if she needs a travel VISA too and also if I need to sign a guardian form for her SO since we won't be going with her?

Hi Joribelle,
I travel quite a bit (in and out of the country) with my daughter and I always have my ex-husband sign and notarize a travel consent form.  No one has ever asked for it, but I would hate to be stuck at the airport if someone ever did.  I just found one online and changed it to meet my needs.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #82 
Well, I know I said earlier in the thread that it felt strange to not be doing the whole SI audition thing this year. Dd is only doing company auditions this year and that continues. She still has several more scheduled and a few company class invites at various other companies to arrange. In the meantime, she has collected more SI "acceptances" than she ever had in anyone SI season. Nearly every company audition she has done to date has resulted in an SI acceptance! It's crazy. I did not understand that this would be the case even for paid positions. Some have come with scholarships, some have not. Most want her to come for 5 or 6 weeks. Very hard to toss all her eggs in one basket when she still has more auditions coming up, especially because this is not just about the summer. This is about the next step in her journey. 

Nevertheless, one decision has been made as of today. She is going to do one 3 week session at Ballet Austin. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #83 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

Nevertheless, one decision has been made as of today. She is going to do one 3 week session at Ballet Austin. 

That's fantastic, Tendumom!
mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #84 
Tendumom, congrats to your DD but how interesting to hear of all the SI acceptances. This is such a confusing time.  All this summer training needing to continue while trying to get that elusive first "real" contract.

DD was considering Ballet Austin but decided on going back to an SI she loved a few years ago. She has 2 trainee offers currently and will be in the running at the SI she's attending. Now she has to try and visit - one is probably a plane ride away while the other is just 4 hours from us. It is tough to get info but she is contacting anyone who may know someone at these programs.

Do you have any advice on what she should look for that may not be obvious to a newly minted HS graduate?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #85 

Congrats to your dd as well, for having trainee program acceptances that do not require SI attendance first! 

It really is tough to get information and hard to know what to ask. I called a friend whose dd is many years ahead of mine and most of what she told me to ask we had already known. Things like tuition, stipends and shoes are obvious. Today, I would ask about the availability of care for an injury and how that works. In dd's case, it seems to be a little more complicated than we had thought. Scheduling is important if your dd will need to get an outside job or will be doing school work (mine is working on a college degree verrrryyy slowly). 

The other things to think about are the things that most kids this age don't have to deal with because they head off to college where they don't need to think about paying rent, buying groceries, getting around if they don't have a car, where there insurance will allow them to go when they are sick or injured, etc. College is much easier on a parent, I think! 

Feel free to PM me with the programs. Through dd, we may be able to put her in touch with people there or we may have insight just based on what she's heard from friends. 

As far as dd, I think she has 8 SI acceptances now without doing a single SI audition. Only company auditions. And only 2 of those SI acceptances came with scholarships. She has had 3 definite offers.  One tuition based that she turned down even though it is a tiny company so the trainees dance a lot... actually too much.. see above about schedules.  One without pay but includes a small stipend for living expenses that will remain in the running for now.  A third that has a contract that we would never let her sign. That company is really not a good match for her at all.. seems odd that they even wanted her! It's a little hard to turn these things down without something definite that is really a good match. The second one is more of a back up plan that we will have to weigh against just returning to NYC and freelancing.  Oh.. actually, she has 4 definite offers because she was offered another year at the program she is at now, but won't be staying.

She probably has 6 definite no's, 3 of those came from cattle calls where she was cut. One came from a company class that she flew out to take. She knew quickly it wasn't a good match as she did not physically look like anyone in the company at all. And then she has a good number of companies she has yet to hear from (and might not ever hear from). Some of those she knows are not good matches. She also still has a few open calls planned and a bunch of company class invites to do. Sadly, she has to start turning some of those down. It's too hard to get to all these places in the next few weeks. We are helping her with that as much as we can, but it's still not physically possible to do them all. She's had a surprising response to sending out her resume, videos and photos. Far better than we would have guessed. 

mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #86 
Thanks for all the help and for posting about your DD - so helpful for those of us trailing just behind.  I will PM you now.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #87 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

She's had a surprising response to sending out her resume, videos and photos. Far better than we would have guessed. 

This is good!  Does she have a timeline where she needs to make a decision by?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #88 
I imagine the various SI acceptances have had a time line. I know that the 2 she is most interested in both do (one she already accepted, the other deadline is April 1). The trainee position that she turned down asked for a response within a certain period of time. She decided against that one within a few days of thinking about it. The contract she is declining asked for a response in a short period of time. Most of the last batch of company class invites included a time line. Most are asking her to come out in the next 4 weeks. Some are asking to see her even sooner and provided specific dates. 

So, she is turning things down now without having something better in hand. The only exception is the company that offered an unpaid position with a small housing stipend. 

Every company is so individual and works on their own timeline. I think the most frustrating are the ones that have auditions and don't seem to be interested in hiring anyone, or at least not any women. She went to one open call where she said the AD was clearly not interested in watching any of the women, just the men. So just have an audition for men or indicate somehow that you don't have a need to hire women for the upcoming season. There are some companies that had that information right on their website! 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: