Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dancemomjb

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
what hours are your dancers training this summer? and which styles?
Krobinson1020

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We haven't gotten a summer schedule yet.  Last year it was a few hours a night, 3x a week for 4 weeks. 
Rebelina

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Our studio summer intensive is 3 weeks, Monday-Thursday 9am-4pm
PasDeChatMom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Our summer intensive is 6 weeks, 6 days a week and 6-7 hours a day...this will be the first summer since 2014 that my daughter has stayed home. It was kind of nice not writing a big fat check for housing 😉
hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My daughter will be at Utah's summer ballet program for four weeks (typical summer intensive schedule) and then taking drop-in classes (ballet) at her home studio to stay in shape.
AnnaBeav

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Our studio doesn't have any intensives - just one off classes for a half day here and there. So I am using five different organizations that have full day programs instead: 

Overnight dance camp (all styles) - 1 week
Ballet only studio - 3 weeks
Hip Hop studio - once a week for the summer
Gymnastics + camp - 4 weeks
Gymnastics only camp - 1 week

Part of me hates that this is so piecemeal but another part is excited for my DD to learn from different and possibly better teachers. 
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My DD is young so there are only a few places to go - so we are 

1 week  5 full days ballet at her ballet school
6 weeks - evening classes 1 of each - ballet, tap, acro, contemporary, jazz and hip hop at her home studio
3 weeks 4 hr days summer ballet intensive at another local school
1 week trick camp @ gymnastics/dance gym
and then likely 1 week will be nationals somewhere.  By august we are already into our solos for the next year so privates start.

I too wish that it was a more consistent schedule at one place an we are cobbling together a schedule.  Makes it hard to be a full time working mom...
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #8 
Almost all summer she will be dancing between 3 and 7 hours a day, 4-5 days a week. The focus is ballet, but other styles balance out the intensives. Plus a few days of non-stop UDA camp.
AnnaBeav

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyklane

I too wish that it was a more consistent schedule at one place an we are cobbling together a schedule.  Makes it hard to be a full time working mom...

Yes! Even if it is full day it is usually three-four days a week which I still couldn't do. I spoke to our SO about a full day/full week camp and she said there just isn't the demand for it.
Motherhem

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #10 
My dd will spend 5 weeks at a ballet SI. She will have her home studio intensive before the SI and maintenance classes after the SI. She hates having more than 2 weeks off at any point in the year because they lose so much even with a little break.
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Our studio only has 1.5 hours 2 nights a week for DD this year (last year it was 4 night a week). So, I have requested a private 2 days a week as well, and I am looking at a modern class at another studio and looking for a couple intensives to supplement.
dancingymnast

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Our studio does 2 hours once a week throughout June and August, off in July. We might find something on the side if DD wants to, but I'm fine with her having some time off too.

So out of curiosity, if you take summer classes somewhere else, do you get them approved with your studio, or you just take them?
Motherhem

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingymnast

So out of curiosity, if you take summer classes somewhere else, do you get them approved with your studio, or you just take them?

Our ballet studio has to approve but it is just a formality really. They don’t care as long as it is a SI where they will keep their training up. I think they require it because some folks would take the summer off without getting very much training and the teachers would have to spend the first half of the year getting them back to where they were before summer.
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Our studio does 2 hours once a week throughout June and August, off in July. We might find something on the side if DD wants to, but I'm fine with her having some time off too.

We just take them.  I'm the consumer, and I wouldn't let anyone dictate where we could go.  We also, though, are not at a studio that requires such things or asks us to sign a contract.

I am however, close with the SO and SM because my daughter dances there so much, so we always let them know where we are.  Sometimes before, sometimes after.  The only thing we won't do out of respect is compete w/o our studio.  That's more of me than any requirement.

meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
My SO has a couple SI's that she really dislikes.  She's fine with everything else (and she wouldn't kick you out if you went someplace she didn't love). 

My daughter will be at Washington Ballet for five weeks this summer.  They run from 9:00-4:30ish M-F  She'll do two more weeks of intensives at home in August.

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherhem
My dd will spend 5 weeks at a ballet SI. She will have her home studio intensive before the SI and maintenance classes after the SI. She hates having more than 2 weeks off at any point in the year because they lose so much even with a little break.

That was always hammered into our heads but of late dd(18) has found that with her schedule, taking a week or two off every now and again actually improves her dancing.  She comes back feeling stronger... more flexible even.  Not to mention, it's so important to be careful of burnout/overuse injuries.
hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

That was always hammered into our heads but of late dd(18) has found that with her schedule taking a week or two off every now and again actually improves her dancing.  Comes back feeling stronger... more flexible even.  It's important to be careful of burnout/overuse injuries.

My daughter has found that to be true as well!
Motherhem

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

That was always hammered into our heads but of late dd(18) has found that with her schedule taking a week or two off every now and again actually improves her dancing.  Comes back feeling stronger... more flexible even.  It's important to be careful of burnout/overuse injuries.

It’s not the studio, it’s the girls. Now, the SO wouldn’t let them take the whole summer off but they get about 3 weeks off after spring performance and 3 off after the studio SI before maintenance classes begin.

The dancers discovered for themselves that they need to keep up during the time between. Even during the Christmas break they get together and have their own classes without teachers. They say it hurts too much to go back after two weeks of down time. They also say they lose skills that have to be recovered from they take more than a week off. So my dd and other company members get together and keep it going.
AnnaBeav

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:

If our studio had classes or a SI my DD could take I would let them know. But I don't feel it is necessary since I am not choosing someone else over them.
mom24

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 

Quote:

I always err on the side of caution.  I'd hate to have my studio owner think we were shopping studios during the summer, so I always send her a note and let her know what we are doing.  Same when we go to see a friend in her comp team show - I let the owner know we are going to watch a friend, but we love her studio and have not to think we are studio shopping - we are just supporting a friend! 

I always phrase it as asking permission (even though I know she will say yes), and she always replies that she is thrilled we want to take more dance and of course we are welcome to go.

I do know of at least once that another mom has tried to "tattle" on us, and the studio owner was able to say, "oh, yes, she told me they were taking some ballet classes over there this week."  I was really glad she had a heads up at that point!

deltawoman10

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #21 
For 4 weeks she will have summer classes 4 days a week for 2 hours or so each night (contemporary, ballet, jazz, hip hop, tap, and strength and conditioning class). She will also have a dance intensive for 2 weeks, but we haven't received all the details about that yet....just that they will have guest teachers for different styles of dance.
danceandsoccermom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #22 
My DD is going to a one week intensive with all different styles, and she'll take a couple of classes two days a week at her studio in ballet, technique, and acro. She'll take some privates as well.

Additionally, we'll go camping, hit the beach, travel outside the country (sightseeing and eating exotic foods), and honestly have some fun before the dance year starts again with a crazy schedule of 5 days a weeks, 2-3 hours a day. Adventure, fun, and rest are equally important summertime activities! 
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
DD11 probably our own studio's full day 4 week intensive.  Multiple styles (ballet, pointe, jazz, character).

DD15 out of town for a 5 week, then back for our studio's 4 week.
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
We have a 3 day summer training camp for the whole team in July. Starting July and running til the 3rd week in August we have 2 nights/week tech classes. Training camp is mandatory unless you are attending an SI; tech classes are mandatory if you are in town (not away on vac).
TinyDancerNJMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #25 
DD(then)10 will be in the July JR summer intensive at her studio for two weeks, 8-3pm half ballet then after lunch they do a mix of styles, contemp, jazz tap, hip hop, musical theater... Then one week in Dracula boot camp! They are doing a fall ballet (Dracula) this year so they start in August with a week of boot camp then Saturday rehearsals.  Last year she had a bunch of privates in August to start learning her YAGP variation but I don't know if she will be asked to do YAGP again this year so I don't know if she will need that this year

DD7 used to do the princess ballet camp but now she is a little older and not as dance focused I don't see as much value in it.  It was cool because my older daughter got to be a helper (not teaching, just helping with the babysitting part, taking them to the bathroom, cleaning up from and assisting them with the crafts, and a bit of demonstrating) and it was fun for the little one.  But now she just stays at the camp I work at as a camper all summer. (older DD misses out on camp for three of the weeks for ballet, I can't wait until she is old enough to do the SR intensive because that one is in the evening!)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.