Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
SuzieQ

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My DD is attending a semester abroad in Rome starting this fall.  She will miss dancing terribly.  Does anyone know of any drop-in dance classes in Rome Italy?  Any information on the dance scene in Italy would be appreciated.  She is also traveling through Paris and thought it would be a kick to take a ballet class in Paris.  Do you know of any drop-in classes there as well?  Thanks for your help.  And wish me luck I will miss her terribly.  Luckily, I get to visit about 1/2 way through her time there. 
ActOneDanceMomLS

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
When I was in college I did a semester abroad in Spain.  We had Spanish dance as part of our curriculum.  It was a great experience.  Although I don't have any specific places that you could check in either of these cities, I would suggest you see if the program might offer anything or be affiliated with a local college/university that might offer something. 

I'm a huge fan of study abroad... I hope she has a great experience!!!
dancemom1031

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
So google found me this :
http://www.exploredance.com/article.htm?id=2256
The article is old, but the studio still exists. They have a website but it's all in italian.
5_6_7_8

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Are you on Facebook?  There is a page called "Work Opportunities and Auditions Contemporary Dance".  It's mainly in Italy and has had some postings about summer programs.  
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
This is a great studio in Rome (according to my niece), they could probably help you out if they dont offer anything.

http://www.ballettodiroma.it/
SuzieQ

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you ladies!  You are amazing!  I'll pass along the info.  Her university doesn't have any dance classes for non-majors though they offer yoga and pilates in the fitness center that she plans to take.  Thank goodness for Google translate for the sites that are in Italian. 
pinnellmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
One of my dd friends is doing a semester this fall in Limerick, Ireland and she is going to take her dance classes at a local studio as the university does not have many dance classes available.
didcmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I don't have info on dance classes but one of my daughter's best friends just finished a semester abroad in Rome and she absolutely loved it!  The pictures are incredible.  It was a wonderful experience for her and the other girls that went.  I hope your daughter enjoys it as much! 

SuzieQ

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
didcmom, does your dd's best friend have any words of wisdom?  My DD is going alone, and this is a huge step outside her comfort zone.  I'm so proud of her.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
My dd did a semester abroad in Florence last year.  Her advice is to buy a Eurorail pass and get to know other exchange students as they will also be interested in traveling and seeing the country.  Speak Italian as much as possible so it becomes natural as soon as possible.  She also figured out that many restaurants have different prices for take out.  They charge a significant fee they call a table fee for dining in.  Sometimes this fee is double the cost of the meal.  There are endless "holidays" where businesses are closed for the day so don't put off buying necessities .   Most of all, have fun!
didcmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Wow, going alone?  Good for her!  DD friend went with 3 other girls from school so they all roomed together.  My daughter hasn't seen her since the's been back; she lives across the state, but they will be together next weekend for a reunion before school starts again.  I'll ask her to see if she has any tidbits to pass along and let you know!
SuzieQ

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
New problem.... cell phone.  looking to get an unlocked gsm cell phone and then getting a sim card for Italy.  Anybody have any advice or stories about how this is going to go.  She needs one for the University there.  We will probably talk mostly via skype or messaging on FB. 
harris.margaret9

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #13 

It’s good for her that she is going alone she will learn lots of things in this period. About cell phone you will have to pay very less.

jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Maybe the university in Rome would have a lot of dance class information. Eurrail is a great idea. She should see as much of Italy (and Europe) as she can. 
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Now that she is there, how's it going?
SuzieQ

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
She is loving every minute of the experience.  She hasn't found a dance class but doesn't seem to be missing it too much.  She is doing so much walking and is working out and stretching in the fitness room.  We bought her an unlocked cell phone and she did get a sim card when she got there.  But honestly we don't use the cell phone much.  She uses to contact all her new buddies there to set up times to go out and such.  We use Skype and online chat to communicate.  Which we do at least once a day, more usually about 3 times a day.  It's great!  She is traveling around Italy a bit.  Day trips to small towns around  Rome. Then Sorrento this weekend.  Cinque Terre next weekend.  She is planning on a big trip to Istanbul for Thanksgiving.  She is just thriving there.  It sure makes it easier on me to handle the separation knowing that she is happy, healthy and safe.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ
She is loving every minute of the experience.  She hasn't found a dance class but doesn't seem to be missing it too much.  She is doing so much walking and is working out and stretching in the fitness room.  We bought her an unlocked cell phone and she did get a sim card when she got there.  But honestly we don't use the cell phone much.  She uses to contact all her new buddies there to set up times to go out and such.  We use Skype and online chat to communicate.  Which we do at least once a day, more usually about 3 times a day.  It's great!  She is traveling around Italy a bit.  Day trips to small towns around  Rome. Then Sorrento this weekend.  Cinque Terre next weekend.  She is planning on a big trip to Istanbul for Thanksgiving.  She is just thriving there.  It sure makes it easier on me to handle the separation knowing that she is happy, healthy and safe.

Thanks for the update. It sounds like bliss to me!
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
What an amazing experience!  So glad to hear it's going well
SuzieQ

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Update:  I'm trying not to freak out with the Rioting that is going on in Rome today.  The pictures I'm seeing online are really close to her campus.  Just across the Tiber.  One picture was on one of the streets we had lunch while visiting her last month.  I'm sure she's being safe and staying away from the craziness.  She said earlier today she saw some police in riot gear, heard shots and lots of helicopters.  It's night there now, but I haven't heard from her in a few hours.  Not going to freak out, not going to freak out.... I found my mantra for today.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Don't freak out! I'll do it for you for a while and then someone else can take a turn until all is calm and you have heard from her again. Sort of a tag team worry support group.keep us updated!
4boysmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Oh my! Hard not to freak out, but I am sure she will be fine.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I'm sure she's just busy and you will hear from her soon.
3leftfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
I agree . . . she's probably just busy doing her own thing.

If you can't get in contact with her, remember you can always check in with the American Embassy. They are probably really busy -- but they can at least let you know what's happening in her area if not actually check on her.

And, when you do talk to her, remind her that if she gets too scared or thinks things are getting way too out of hand, she should go to the American Embassy. They are there to help.
dancer456

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
The pictures of the riot police and crowds are scary, but as long as she knows not to get in the way of the protests, she will be just fine.  
SuzieQ

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Of course she was fine, just out with friends.  Everyone was all excited about the events of the day.  Most of what she saw was from a safe distance across the Tiber river.  It certainly is something else exciting to remember about her stay in Rome.  She didn't get any good photos herself though.  She thought (rightly so) that it was better to be safe.  She has a good head on her shoulders.  Hope her trip to Istanbul over the long weekend is not so exciting and she continues to use her head. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: