Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
tutuswithouttears

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
There was a recent post like this, but it got a little out of hand, so I've decided to create my own. Who has decided to participate in their studio's Nut? What parts did they receive? Have rehearsals begun? Has there been cast drama yet? Most importantly, are they excited?
Ava (15) and Elise (12) are doing their studio's Nut this year. Auditions were on the 16th and the cast list went up last Thursday. Elise was cast as Clara, which was a total shock. This is her first time dancing a lead role and she's very excited. Her friends have been very supportive, except for one girl who is more than a little miffed that she didn't get the part.
Ava was sure that she was going to be the Snow Queen, because she understudied for the part last year and knows it by heart. She was shocked when she read the list and found she had actually been cast as the Sugar Plum Fairy, which is usually reserved for seniors and the occasional junior. She looked like she was going to pass out for a moment, but she's absolutely thrilled. Unfortunately, a senior from the studio who was cast as the Dew Drop Fairy is upset that she didn't get Sugar Plum and is taking out her frustration on Ava. I've told the studio owner, but there isn't much she can do since Ava and this senior attend the same high school. I'm sure it will resolve itself, and Ava is determined to not be bothered by someone else's bad attitude.
Rehearsals begin next weekend, and there will be a costume fitting at some point in the next two weeks. The studio's only Sugar Plum costume is unfortunately too big for Ava, so I've spoken to Ava's ballet teacher about purchasing a new costume. Elise will be getting a new party dress for Clara as well. They're both excited for this as new Nut costumes are a rare occurrence [smile]
So? How is everyone else's Nutcracker season going thus far? 
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I do know that there were some of the inevitable tears & frustration when our casting was announced, but I haven't heard of any lingering issues or negative behavior, and the kids are now hard at work.

It has to be hard to understudy a role one year and see someone else get the part.  But that's dance, and learning to deal with such disappointment - and displaying gratitude for the part(s) they did get - is part of learning to be a dancer.  If negative behavior and attitude gets too overt then a part can be yanked, but behavior has to be pretty egregious for that to happen.

Thankfully my own dancers are happy and/or content this year.  One happy surprise, no negative surprises.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Congrats!

We had auditions Saturday. It was a pretty insane day including tears, a Clara upset for a few kids, and a few other things that I don't really feel comfortable mentioning online. Cast list comes out in a week or so.

DD12 was very excited to be told she couldn't audition for any kid roles once she got there. She was given the chance to audition for all of the corps roles except leads (leads are almost always 16+ students or professionals). Now we wait to see if they will use her or whether she may be just understudying this year. Should be interesting!
alingading

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My DD(10) will be performing in her studio's Nutcracker for the 7th year in a row. We found out a few weeks ago that she is cast as Clara! She is super excited but is well aware of all of the hard work ahead of her. There has been some drama among the girls, saying that she didn't deserve to be cast in that role. No comments have been made to her face, of course. But, I'm sure they will be as performance time gets closer.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Wow! Congrats to your dds! You have a Clara and a Sugar Plum! 

Casting at dd's last ballet school was so pleasant, relatively speaking. They did so many performances that some roles, like Clara and Dew Drop, were cast 5 deep. There was no Sugar Plum in that production though. Very different take on the Nutcracker. 

DD is in a professional production this year. She is lead angel, maid in Act 1, arabian and possibly snow and/or flowers. Kind of fun because in all the years of Nutcrackers, she was never an angel of any sort. Both prior productions of Nut had the youngest dancers in the show as angels and she did not start doing Nut until she was 9. I feel like she has otherwise been everything except an Act 1 doll, Clara and Sugar Plum. Oh and she's never been a soldier but she's been a rat in that scene.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD is at a new studio this year. Her ballet teacher from her old studio switched to this studio. It will be the first Nutcracker for this studio, so I think that fact alone has kind of eliminated any drama. This will be dd's 11th year doing the Nutcracker. This year she was cast as Mouse Queen (one performance only), Merliton, and Lead Arabian. Rehearsals started last weekend for the younger kids. DD will start rehearsal this weekend. They will do two performances.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Dd12 just got her results last night. She is so happy to have been only offered pointe roles--it is not at all the norm at her age in this Nutcracker but it is what she wanted. She got Snow, Marzipan corps, understudy for Flowers, and understudy for Chinese. She really couldn't have hoped for anything better at her age in this production. [smile]
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Both prior productions of Nut had the youngest dancers in the show as angels and she did not start doing Nut until she was 9. I feel like she has otherwise been everything except an Act 1 doll, Clara and Sugar Plum. Oh and she's never been a soldier but she's been a rat in that scene. 

I don't know about all roles, but between my 2 DD's we have a dancer on stage for a good chunk of a local professional production: party kid, soldier, arabian corps, arch angel.  There's an understudy role as well, so it'll be December until I see either of these kids again!

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
DD has a week layoff after Serenade closes.  Then they will cast for Nut, but the school kids were cast long ago and are already rehearsing.  I really hope I get to go. I've never missed a Nut, but work is getting in the way this year.  We shall see...

It's fun to hear about all the different parts!
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I always find it interesting to hear about studios doing the nutcracker for Christmas. In all my years and a dancer and dance mom I have never seen or heard of a studio doing it around here,

For us Christmas is also the end of the school year, the end of the dance year, and the summer holidays. So it is recital time, few studios would manage a nutcracker as well.
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I would love to see an Australian version of the Nutracker. We have many "Canadian" versions here.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: