Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
pookaprincess

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We just came from a weekend of competing and a pretty big team that was excellent btw, won a lot of the top spots. It was deserved (we weren't up against them but with one number....ages/size/levels were different). I was checking out the comps youtube and the previous weekend the same team won top slots at a different regional for the same comp.
I know we'd never go to the same comp twice a season, much less back to back...I was wondering what the point of it is?
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I know of a few situations where people have done that (usually not the whole team, though) and it was to qualify more/different kids for some kind of national title competition or other perk that comes from being in the top places overall.  When my daughters and their friends did it, they went to two back to back because that just happened to be what worked for their schedules.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
At DD15's studio, they have a company team and a performance team and sometimes they do different competitions.  When we went to our old toxic studio, she would attend several different regionals for NYCDA because only 4 and exactly 4 dancers in each age category would get Outstanding Dancer and she wanted most of the team to have won it by the time Nationals rolled around.  Because of that, she would bring at least a couple of dances to each regional but the bulk would be at our home regional.
pookaprincess

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Gotcha.

I should have thought of that. I am glad I got to see them perform....fun stuff.
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Yeah was it the same team with the same dances or different dances? 
LittleMonkeyMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We are attending 2 different regionals for the same competition this year.

We had not planned on that, but one competition we were planning on attending was cancelled, and our only other option for that weekend was to attend a second regionals for a competition we were already registered for. 

Our DT did give those doing solos/duets/trios the option not to compete at the 2nd regional if they didn't want to repeat, but I don't think anyone took her up on it.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
If it is a convention/competition, it is not unusual for a studio to attend more than one regional if they plan to go to those nationals.  Since the convention/comps limit the number of entries, multiple regionals is the best way for a studio to qualify as many dances as possible for nationals.  Not to mention qualifying as many dancers as possible for that conventions version of Best Dancer. 

Often, I have seen studios take minis/Jrs to one regional and Teens/Srs to another, with several dancers who will attend both.  Then again, there are those teams who choose to go to multiple regionals with the same dancers over and over again which I do not understand!
pookaprincess

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Not sure all the dances, but their hip hop senior line won at both. It was masquerade. Meh. I had wondered if not many people were registered (2 big studios who are usually there weren't ) and maybe they asked them if they wanted to? I was sad it was smaller than normal....didn't get to see as much variety as I like
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsqrdplus2
Often, I have seen studios take minis/Jrs to one regional and Teens/Srs to another, with several dancers who will attend both.  Then again, there are those teams who choose to go to multiple regionals with the same dancers over and over again which I do not understand!

The ones who attend both no doubt teach the audition choreo to the others?  I assume it doesn't really change from city to city.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: