Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
If your dancer is struggling with performance should you be careful of the solo song choice? For example...good with more happy toned songs but not more emotional. She found a song she loves but it is very powerful and much more somber...but last year the #1 critique was to work on performance. Thoughts? I love the song too but I could see her struggling again if she cant break out and show emotion. And last year she did choose her song and knew her "story" but still struggled with performance. She still placed in the overalls at most competitions but most of the judges said her performance would take it to next level.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofdanceobsessed
If your dancer is struggling with performance should you be careful of the solo song choice? For example...good with more happy toned songs but not more emotional. She found a song she loves but it is very powerful and much more somber...but last year the #1 critique was to work on performance. Thoughts? I love the song too but I could see her struggling again if she cant break out and show emotion. And last year she did choose her song and knew her "story" but still struggled with performance. She still placed in the overalls at most competitions but most of the judges said her performance would take it to next level.

I would see it as her chance to take it to that next level, I'm all about the learning process and not just doing what you are best at.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
How old is your daughter?  This is tough because you need performance for any genre.  Is she having trouble with any emotion?  A happy song might not be good if she's struggling with emotion in general.  I think it's more noticeable in a jazz or happy dance than it would be in a contemporary piece.  

This is my own opinion, but I think if she struggles with emotion the right thing to do would be to pick a song that requires a lot of it.  She needs to work on it and facing it would be better than avoiding it.
momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Happy is easier for her. She is really good with naturally happy without looking fake. She is 14 and is wanting to do more mature things (while still being age appropriate). This song is about missing someone. And one she will def be able to relate to for a young lady she is very close to is moving off to college. I also lean toward it could grow her! But she says "I dont want to blow it". But I hate to see her stuck in happy lyrical land forever. Especially when that is not what she wants.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Definitely the one that will allow her to grow... especially at that age, they need to start figuring out how to really commit to the more dramatic stuff at that age, beyond just a blank face.  They have to learn how to express their emotions with their entire bodies and not just their facial expressions.  I would, without a doubt, say that she should go for the one that she struggles with.  This is the time she should be learning and growing... use the solos to develop the weaknesses not to focus on the strengths. 
ChelleB70

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I agree with one that will allow her to grow.  Esp at her age.  When my 13 yo dd was looking for a contemp solo song she teared up while listening to Not About Angels bc she has watched TFIOS a gazillion times and it really touched her.  She decided against it tho bc it's so popular (I love it and said "whatever" to popular but it's her decision in the end).  This will also be a growing experience for my dd bc she has trouble putting on anything but smile and sassy.  The other song may have been easier for her to touch on her emotions with but the song she decided on will force her to go deeper.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Solos should be a chance to grow. If she has to work on performance, then this song sounds perfect!
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I would say to have a discussion with her and talk about how she/ you are going to totally let go of placing or winning.  Totally let it go for a year.  This next year is about growth and nothing more.  She is allowed to really push her performance in any way that makes that growth happen even if it is totally uncomfortable.  This is the year to be over the top and push the emotion. Do not play it safe.

That is what we did this year so my girl could work on choreography.  We had to take the pressure to win out of the equation in order to allow the freedom to grow.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
I would say to have a discussion with her and talk about she and you are going to totally let go of placing or winning.  Totally let it go for a year.  This next year is about growth and nothing more.  She is allowed to really push her performance in any way that makes that growth happen even if it is totally uncomfortable.  This is the year to be over the top and push the emotion. Do not play it safe.

That what we did this year so my girl could work on choreography.  We had to take the pressure to win out of the equation in order to allow the freedom to grow.

This is exactly right. Agree that winning/placing is not important in the long run, and have her work on her performance.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
I would say to have a discussion with her and talk about how she/ you are going to totally let go of placing or winning.  Totally let it go for a year.  This next year is about growth and nothing more.  She is allowed to really push her performance in any way that makes that growth happen even if it is totally uncomfortable.  This is the year to be over the top and push the emotion. Do not play it safe.

That is what we did this year so my girl could work on choreography.  We had to take the pressure to win out of the equation in order to allow the freedom to grow.

Perfect advice!
momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Thank you everyone! It is good to have the wisdom of those much more experienced at this and wiser than myself. I have always told her to dance for herself and do HER best and not focus on the win because that can be so a matter of preference on any given day but of course you don't want her to feel like she is going out with something that stands no shot of being competitive. I think she has major confidence issues at the moment. Junior High has been tough.
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:

And she still won all season.  Your DD is a superstar [smile]
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I"m just going to echo what every one else is saying.  If your dd's long term goal is to be the best dancer she can be then she must push herself out of her comfort zone.   Because while always showcasing her strengths may get her an award in the short term, in the long term, trust me, it'll just keep her from reaching her full potential.

Repeat after me... "awards. don't. matter".  And they really don't.  I've hung around here long enough to learn that that's a tough pill for a lot of people to swallow but, really... if your dd is in this dance thing for anything more than a competitive extracurricular activity, the sooner she embraces that the better. I've seen too many dancers ultimately disappointed because they spent too many years distracted by that quest for the sparkly shinys.    

momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
DM...you are very kind to say that. Her technique has improved so much since adding extra classes at ballet school so that definitely showed on stage. And we went to some smaller and I would say medium sized competitions and a larger one. It was her first season competing a solo. I think she was learning to manage her nerves and she is still maturing as a dancer but I was proud of her.

And Heidi you are so correct! I listened to a mom all season agonize over her daughter not placing and tried to think about how that would feel if it were me. I think it is easy to get caught up in it. I try not to but there is always a piece of me that hopes she places so her hard work is recognized. But I want to see her grow in this area because long term that is way more important! And I want her to believe in herself and feel confident. She is such a hard worker with so much going for her.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: