Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
New2Dance2010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello. My DD has a tap solo and her teacher recommended I bling up her shoes. Well, everyone here knows these are not cheap and I can't afford a second pair for her group (competition) dance.
My question is, do you think I could possibly add the adhesive rhinestone strips only to her heels, then peel off for her group? Do you think it will leave a sticky residue? Anyone tried anything besides buying another set? Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks for all the input!
Sparkle on
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
You could always get something like this, you could even add stones to it.

https://www.revolutiondance.com/sequin-tap-shoe-cover-products-1312.php?page_id=86
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes, I think you could definitely buy or make removable spats and stone those.  
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Why not just do some fun laces?
New2Dance2010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Not sure about the covers, worried they may interfere with the taps, but awesome idea! Still may consider.
I have tried laces before but there wasn't much impact, was fortunate to find a rhinestone bow that I added to the laces which worked awesome - last year. This year her costume is red. I really want to add the peel and stick red rhinestones to the heel, just wondering if anyone thinks they can pop off while dancing or will be residue once taken off.
Everyone's input is greatly appreciated, thank you so much!
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
How expensive of tap shoes are we talking? I am of the school that it is not necessary to bling tap shoes to place with a tap solo.
4boysmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemonkey
How expensive of tap shoes are we talking? I am of the school that it is not necessary to bling tap shoes to place with a tap solo.

I am also of the opinion that it is not necessary to bling out tap shoes to have a good solo. However, I would just go with the laces if I had to do something. I would also worry that stones would come off, and a metal tap hitting a stone on the floor could result in an injured dancer. I don't think the spats would affect the taps in any way either if you decided to go that route.
New2Dance2010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
The shoes are close to $100. I totally agree that blinging out and adding extra "prettiness"to my DD tap shoes does not give her a better solo, it is to play up her costume. Of course my first concern is her safety and would never do anything to jeopardize that. I was only asking if anyone has added bling to the heel and any suggestions.
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I saw a team at a local competition that had jeweled the heals of their tap shoes.  I noticed them in the hallway warming up but when they were on stage I forgot to even look for the jeweled heels and they didn't catch my eye.  I will say that the custom colored Miller and Ben shoes do catch my eye but they are really expensive.  
4boysmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Dance2010
The shoes are close to $100. I totally agree that blinging out and adding extra "prettiness"to my DD tap shoes does not give her a better solo, it is to play up her costume. Of course my first concern is her safety and would never do anything to jeopardize that. I was only asking if anyone has added bling to the heel and any suggestions.[/QUOTEplease understand that I was not insinuating that you would put your daughter in danger. I was simply expressing my concern at what I thought might happen. I have seen the jewelled heels before and I can't say they really stood out to me. Laces that matched the costume would catch my eye more because, for the most part, your dancer would be facing the front. Blinded heels would mostly be facing away from the audience. Whatever you decide, good luck to your daughter.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
What kind of stones are on the peel and stick rhinestone strip?  If they are just plastic rhinestones (like I've seen in some craft stores), don't bother.  

Plastic stones will never sparkle and the adhesive that may be left behind won't be worth cleaning off every time.

prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Emmymom is right about the plastic stones. They are not sparkly.

My dd's old studio had a lot of tap solos and they would use Swarovski crystals in heavy patterns near the cuffs of their pants and often halfway up the calf. You definitely saw and watched their feet.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Not sure about the covers, worried they may interfere with the taps, but awesome idea! Still may consider. I have tried laces before but there wasn't much impact, was fortunate to find a rhinestone bow that I added to the laces which worked awesome - last year. This year her costume is red. I really want to add the peel and stick red rhinestones to the heel, just wondering if anyone thinks they can pop off while dancing or will be residue once taken off. Everyone's input is greatly appreciated, thank you so much!

Years ago, when my daughter still tapped competitively, she wore spats over her taps shoes as part of a costume.  They did not interfere with the taps at all.  
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
DD17 has all black Miller and Bens. Last season, DT had her bling the heels, with my permission. They were a strip of Swarovski glued directly to the heels. It went with the theme of her solo. She doesn't have any tap groups. If she did, she wouldn't wear these anyway. I can't tell you how many times I heard someone in the audience comment on how cool her blinged heels were. I have seen it done before and have always liked the look. The year before, her costume had spats. They did not effect her sound at all.
New2Dance2010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boysmom
Quote:
The shoes are close to $100. I totally agree that blinging out and adding extra "prettiness"to my DD tap shoes does not give her a better solo, it is to play up her costume. Of course my first concern is her safety and would never do anything to jeopardize that. I was only asking if anyone has added bling to the heel and any suggestions.[/QUOTEplease understand that I was not insinuating that you would put your daughter in danger. I was simply expressing my concern at what I thought might happen. I have seen the jewelled heels before and I can't say they really stood out to me. Laces that matched the costume would catch my eye more because, for the most part, your dancer would be facing the front. Blinded heels would mostly be facing away from the audience. Whatever you decide, good luck to your daughter.

Thank you for the "frontal point of view". She also side steps, that would possibly catch eye with heels blinged. I was also concerned about the stones falling prior to posting this, just didn't bring it up. I see items fall off all the time - feathers, sequins, stones. They NEVER sweep at competitions I have been to before a tapper goes on. Again, thank you
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I decided to bling out my dd's tap shoe heels 2 years ago for her solo. We tried various items, because the plan was to make them temporary. We bought this item:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054YFKUC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a ribbon that is used for cake decorating, but it is not edible. It does not have stones or glitter, but it sparkled. It was very inexpensive and did not have any risk of losing stones. The width was perfect for the tap heel, and it looked great! It was lightweight, and the plan was to use double-stick tape to hold it on her heels. DT thought the double-stick tape wouldn't show during the group numbers if I had trouble getting it off the shoe quickly. But there was a problem. DD is a hard tapper, and one of them started to fall off by the end of her first 1/2 hour private lesson. We didn't want to risk having it fall off during a comp. My next solution was to try low-temp hot glue and peel the glue off between numbers. I had to use so much hot glue that it became difficult to peel (I practiced after a lesson). However, the hot glue did hold it.

We wound up getting her a new pair of tap shoes for the group numbers, and I polished up her old pair, glued the ribbon on and she used it. She wore those shoes in tap class, and the ribbon got dirty looking after dancing, so I got to the point that I would sit at home and peel it off and change the ribbon before every new comp.

It is up to you if you want to try it with your DD. Like I said, mine is a hard tapper.

Edited: I found a picture of her onstage with the tap shoes:

Jenny So What - Copy.jpg 
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I found a better picture of the tap shoes:

tap shoes.jpg 

New2Dance2010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Thank you very much, I already started! I am going to try black Velcro and sew crystals to it, easily removed from Velcro for her group. Think it will work?
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
The velcro is still stick on so you could have the same issue with peeling off or leaving residue.

While I'm sure it looks nice, it is not at all necessary. You can only get so many points for costume and I'm pretty sure most judges give the full point value unless costume is inappropriate or interferes with the dancing.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I'm in agreement with Twinkletoes, especially when it comes to tap shoes.  Who knows, maybe there's a judge that is taking off points because she's not in hard sole shoes (or giving points because she is).  I'd be surprised if a judge gave you extra marks for blinged-out heels.  For me, it's not worth potentially ruining a pair of shoes, or having stones come off on stage, or any other number of things that could happen to cause stress.  

Personally, I get distracted when I see groups that all have blinged out heels.  I ask myself why they bothered to do that. Would you put rhinestones on jazz shoes?  Ballet slippers?  Why tap shoes?
New2Dance2010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Agree
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
I'm in agreement with Twinkletoes, especially when it comes to tap shoes.  Who knows, maybe there's a judge that is taking off points because she's not in hard sole shoes (or giving points because she is).  I'd be surprised if a judge gave you extra marks for blinged-out heels.  For me, it's not worth potentially ruining a pair of shoes, or having stones come off on stage, or any other number of things that could happen to cause stress.  

Personally, I get distracted when I see groups that all have blinged out heels.  I ask myself why they bothered to do that. Would you put rhinestones on jazz shoes?  Ballet slippers?  Why tap shoes?

Totally agree.  No way would I potentially ruin an expensive pair of shoes for something like this.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
OP. You mentioned starting the shoes. How are they turning out?
New2Dance2010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Prancer - so far, ok. Applied heavy duty Velcro male side to shoes, barely noticeable and now I am searching for the perfect size crystals to apply to the fuzzy Velcro side. I have Swarovski 20ss flat backs but think maybe smaller. Took a while to come to this decision
RebelSwan

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Hmmm.... won't the velcro snag tights when the mate is removed?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: