Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
1. Has anyone's dancer participated in The World Dance Pageant? I was curious about it because DD used to do scholarship pageants with interviews and onstage questions, etc. Any opinions on it? I checked out the website, and I've heard it is expensive. That leads to question two.

2. Has your dancer received a scholarship or award with a discount on the fees for the World Dance Pageant from one of the Star Dance Alliance competitions? How do they award them? Is it like KAR/Rainbow's NY Experience invite where many dancers receive those, but few attend?

3. There are a few Star Dance Alliance comps:
Nexstar
Imagine
Believe
Revolution
Starpower

Which ones do you like, or don't like and why?

Thanks!

TIA
LittleMonkeyMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We have never attended the World Dance Pageant, but we have attended SDA competitions, including Nexstar, Revolution & Starpower, for many years. 

They are all very similar, IMO.  We typically only attend 1 (some years 2) of those competitions in our regional schedule, as there isn't much difference between them.  In our area, they are all large competitions that draw competitive studios.  They tend to run on time & be fairly organized.  Judging has always seemed reasonable compared to other competitions we attend. 
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I want to say they only give out the WDP scholarships to those competing in the advanced division. My daughter and her friend took their solos to Revolution last year and her friend won a WDP scholarship while my daughter won a PowerPak invite and scholarship. They were in the advanced division and none of the other levels won anything. I also think the scholarship was only like $100 off or something. It wasn't much. But with that said, I don't think you have to qualify to attend the WDP. Anyone can register. 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew
I want to say they only give out the WDP scholarships to those competing in the advanced division. My daughter and her friend took their solos to Revolution last year and her friend won a WDP scholarship while my daughter won a PowerPak invite and scholarship. They were in the advanced division and none of the other levels won anything. I also think the scholarship was only like $100 off or something. It wasn't much. But with that said, I don't think you have to qualify to attend the WDP. Anyone can register. 

If she even DID earn one, it doesn't sound worth the cost of entering one of her solos in the first place. Good information to know! Thanks!

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
If she even DID earn one, it doesn't sound worth the cost of entering one of her solos in the first place. Good information to know! Thanks!

Just as another gentle reminder... it's never a good idea to enter specifically for the prize.  Never.  Always enter for the training/experience/performance opportunity and then... if you do win something, that prize (if in the form of money or a scholarship or whatever) just becomes a nice little bonus. To use... or not... depending (i.e., choosing to go to WDP simply because you received 100 dollars off would probably be silly.  But if you were planning on going anyway?  That 100 dollars is nothing to sneeze at.  Or if you knew you were going to some Nationals but hadn't decided which one yet?  That 100 dollars might become a factor in that decision).  

eta:  and if anyone really does think 100 bucks is nothing... I can always use an extra 100.  I'll send you my address [smile]

emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD has been to all of these comps several times except Imagine.  She has won the PowerPak multiple times, but I don't remember her ever winning the WDP scholarship although I'm not sure.  In either case, she has never attended nor would I have considered it (it's just not my thing).

In our area, Nexstar, Believe, and Revolution are a little competitive in the upper level (all I'm familiar with).  But, not insanely competitive.  There are usually a couple good studios in attendance at each. A big powerhouse studio in the area generally attends two, if not all three of these every year.  All seem to be well run and on time from what I can remember.  Can't speak for judging as I really don't remember, but I'm thinking it was fair across the board?  Depending on the time of year of the competition, I also saw quite a few soloists and D/T competing without group numbers, just using these comps as dress rehearsal kind of thing.

Starpower, on the other hand is usually ridiculously packed with talent.  Although DD hasn't been to Starpower for a few years so it could have changed, it used to attract lots of amazing studios from the area and nearby states like Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana.  And of course Canada.  It was always fun though, as I'd much rather compete against strong talent than compete against ourselves.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.