Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Noel

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So... anyone here have a dancer who sprays before competitions? Anyone here who has a SO who mandates it for competitions? In favor or against whether or not it's your issue. I'm wondering how prevalent it is.
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
There has never been any discussion of it at our studio. My children are naturally tan and I have noticed I prefer them with a little more color than not. But I don't do anything about it- lol.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We have a couple dancers who do. It's not mandatory though. One of the blonde and pale dancers wanted a yellow solo costume, so the teacher advised her to either spray tan or pick another colour because she'd look washed out on stage. She chose the yellow costume, tried it on and agreed a tan was needed. That was the only time a spray tan was mentioned.

ETA: I feel as though it's on the same lines as fake eye lashes. If it's needed, it's noticeably needed.
Costumes however are picked with the colour in mind to best suit all the dancers in the group. So it's never come up to need one besides the soloists choice.
Jinkerbelle

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My daughter does get spray tans before comps. It helps her feel more confident. She often has white costumes and she is very fair, almost transparent, and blonde! Occasionally she has used Jergens Healthy glow before comps, it is very subtle and develops slowly so you have to start at least a week before. But she typically doesn't have time for that. It is not mandatory and SO doesn't endorse it, but everyone compliments her once it's done. She used to do Mystic Tan, but now does VersaSpa. It's $25, has different levels and undertones you can pick so it looks good. The machine dries her off after as well so no streaking. It lasts about a week.
Edited to say that she has the VersaSpa spray tan in my avi pic!
Also edited to say that both my daughter's duo partners are naturally dark. One is Asian and the other is a beautiful mix of Asian, African American, Native American, and Puerto Rican so my DD looks extremely washed out on stage.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
It was not a thing at either studio DS attended but I know a couple of seniors that did it just because they wanted to in general - not just for dance.
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I've heard of a couple studios that require it, but not our studio. One girl does though!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
No one would ask a very dark skinned student dancer to lighten her skin for a performance, so why is it acceptable to ask a very pale student dancer to darken her skin? 

Just a different perspective from a very pale dance mom to a very pale dancer. I've always hated the comment by many that I or my child "should get more sun." 
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Not a requirement at our studio or any of the handful of studios that dd has friends at. One of our seniors got a spray tan for prom this year, but that had nothing to do with dance.

I've never really understood the need for this either. Would a studio ask the girls to all dye their hair the same color? Of course not.

ETA: My dd is also very pale, check out my avatar!
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Never been asked for at either studio DD has danced at. DD is very pale, almost Irish girl sunbathing pale, which I am. There are plenty of colors that compliment all skin tones. Makes sense to use those for costumes.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
No one would ask a very dark skinned student dancer to lighten her skin for a performance, so why is it acceptable to ask a very pale student dancer to darken her skin?

Exactly! I say this all the time!

We are at a new studio this year, and while the studio doesn't require spray tans, the teacher for the sr jazz group requires all of the dancers in that particular dance to be tan for competition. I don't agree with it at all, but we're new and dd is 15 and does not want me making a big deal over it, so I have compromised and bought dd some self-tanning lotion from Jergens. She starts applying it a few days before comp and looks tan enough.
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I'm sure some of the older girls go tanning but not necessarily for dance. No one's ever mentioned spray tans or any type of tanning being required and if it was, we'd leave. The dancers range from very, very pale to dark skinned. I don't see it as the same as eyelashes; false eyelashes you can rip off in a second.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I really don't care for spray tans. I haven't seen one yet that I couldn't spot from a mile away. The most I would consider is the Jergens lotion.
RebelSwan

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
My kid is whiter than white.  She reflects so much light you can hardly see her in a lot of the comp videos.  This year her duo partner was Ethiopian.   They are perfect partners but oh... the poor videographers.  If one is underexposed the other is over...

I don't think I'll bring up spray tan though.  Must look into unitards this year though lol.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Completely optional at our studio.  Some people like to get spray tans, other dancers like my daughter say no thanks!  Between my daughter's height (5'9"+) and her fair skin, I can *always* find her in groups!!
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccasmom
Not a requirement at our studio or any of the handful of studios that dd has friends at. One of our seniors got a spray tan for prom this year, but that had nothing to do with dance.

I've never really understood the need for this either. Would a studio ask the girls to all dye their hair the same color? Of course not.

ETA: My dd is also very pale, check out my avatar!

Actually, I know of a studio that "encouraged" the girls to bleach their hair. It's been at least 2 years, but DD danced at a convention with them. DD was there alone and these very nice girls befriended her. DD noticed that they all had super blonde hair except 1 girl and asked her about it later. She told DD that the studio wanted them to all have bleach blonde hair and that her mom had refused to comply, which hadn't been too much of an issue but may have contributed to being left out of a few comp dances.
Kfish1987

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Last competition year, my daughter was self conscious of her pale stomach that showed in one of her costumes so we used self tanning cream.

This year, she didn't care and the creams went into the garbage.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom

Actually, I know of a studio that "encouraged" the girls to bleach their hair. It's been at least 2 years, but DD danced at a convention with them. DD was there alone and these very nice girls befriended her. DD noticed that they all had super blonde hair except 1 girl and asked her about it later. She told DD that the studio wanted them to all have bleach blonde hair and that her mom had refused to comply, which hadn't been too much of an issue but may have contributed to being left out of a few comp dances.

That's horrible. I would be out of there in a heartbeat!
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I don't think it's a thing here.  Of the 3 studios DD's been at, none have even mentioned spray tanning.  At 1 studio they had the girls to spray on tights for a couple of dances but it really wasn't enforced because DD only did it the 1st time and then refused.

While my DD has brown hair and eyes, she has very pale skin.  I think she looks beautiful on stage and wouldn't support spray tanning at all.
GlitzyGypsy

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
We tan all my girls and everyone just assumes they are gorgeously dark. It's NOT obvious that it's a spray tan because we do it at home with my tan machine. It looks great on stage! But it's just my preference. During cheer season the girls are tanned too but the coach never required it. We are independent so we get to make the rules as far as dance [wink]
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I have honestly never heard of dancers doing this! Until now. 😉 I have only ever heard of pageant kids spray tanning. So our studio definitely doesn't require it as it's never even been a topic of discussion! And I have a blonde who is fairly pale in the winter. If she wanted to have one I don't think I'd mind I guess. But hard to say as this scenario has never come up.
Noel

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
GlitzyGypsy you have your own spray tan machine or a tanning bed with lamps? Curious since you said machine. If it's spray machine what do you use? Purely curiosity here. DD won't be asked to tan for her current school and not in the foreseeable future, but I definitely like to learn from those who have btdt.
mom2dancinboyngirl

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
There is no requirement for a spray tan at our studio and I am not aware of anyone who does it (although they may do it without making a fuss over it I suppose). We have dancers of all ethnicities, from very pale to very, very dark so there is no way to arrive at a uniform skin tone.
dance010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
DD is as white as white can get, and she gets sprayed for every competition. It is definitely not mandator, but She feels more comfortable, and we worked out a deal with our tan lady and "pre ordered" her tans so the price went down a ton (originally $35/tan now we only pay $20/tan). Personally, I like how white she looks and it makes her stand out on stage more in my opinion. She hates it though. Typical teenager i guess [rolleyes]

EDITED: to add that DD is tanned in the avatar pic of mine right there, she would be glowing and blending in with that white stage if she wasn't lol! It always looks very natural on her so no problem there (:
Dancemom02

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #24 
At DDs old studio getting spray tanned was required. SO wanted all of the girls to look the same. They also had to have their hair cut a certain length. The SO spraytanned them herself and they always looked super orange and it would get super clingy on certain parts of their bodies and I just thought it looked terrible. I have asked DD now that we're at a new studio if she ever wants to get a spray tan before competitions. She always says no. I think she's traumatized lol. Also does anyone's studios not let them have tan lines? Or be sunburnt?
nyklane

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Not us, but our good friends who dance Irish get spray tanned.  They are not allowed to wear makeup at a young age, but get sprayed...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: