Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Do any of you try to get sponsors as a way of fundraising? Either for your team or individual dancers?
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Advertisements in a program, different level sponsors for a show, that sort of thing, yes.  
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988
Advertisements in a program, different level sponsors for a show, that sort of thing, yes.  

Have you been pretty successful? We have a mom who thinks we could make a lot of money from sponsors. She is creating a level sheet for us to use. I've never done anything like that before so just curious how successful it can really be.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Off the top of my head, I want to say we might get a handful of "major" sponsors (less than $500), for a performance.  Most are small companies with owners or other executives who have DDs in the production.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 

I think you will find it a very hard sell. 

Sponsors need to get something out of it. Most businesses or individuals are not going to hand over a financial donation without something in return. That something in return could be an ad in a program if you have a group that attracts large numbers to performances. That something can also be a tax write off if the money is going to a non-profit. 

I was a board member for a non-profit youth ballet company. We did have small successes with this sort of thing, offering large ads and tickets for sponsorship, but we also sold around 2000 tickets per production. We also got some grant money for local outreach efforts. 

I always have difficulty with this. Why should other people pay for an activity for a group of children? If it's a group of children from circumstances that would not ordinarily allow them to dance, absolutely yes. But if it's to pay for extras like trips for competitions or conventions, absolutely not. Those things are fluff- totally not necessary for a dance education. Our grant money actually did support dance for children who were homeless or considered at high risk. Those kids absolutely loved the experience and I wish we had the capability to make it a year round program. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: