Author   Comment  
SpicyLuck

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
What is the differences?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
A full sole covers the entire bottom the shoe. A split sole has part at the ball of the foot and part of the sale at the heel. The center portion is just fabric (which may be elasticized in some brands). A full sole forces the dancer to point their foot fully. They have to work through the shoe to get that nice arch. In the schools where dd danced when she was younger (a comp school and a ballet school), full sole was worn by younger dancers. Dancers had to read a certain level to wear split sole. 
SpicyLuck

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Interesting...so it's more developmentally appropriate for a 5 year old to have a full sole/bottom. Good thing I asked, was assuming the split one would help with point (was about to purchase), but always go with what's age appropriate/healthy first.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Our studio always insisted on full sole practice shoes until they reached RAD grade 5.  For comp they wore split soles because the pointe does look better since the foot doesn't have to work as hard but for regular use it's not teaching them good habits.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Dd had full sole until grade 5 RAD as well.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I always read that full sole helps work the foot more, but I really wonder if theres any truth to it at all, or if it's all just tradition. My DD never wore a full sole and has amazingly strong feet, though I think most of that is genetic. It is so hard for me to believe that such a small piece of leather would somehow "Work the feet" very hard at all....

Impossible to know that real answer, of course. Just curious musings.....
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Full sole shoes force them to work harder to get a nice pointe so in turn makes for stronger (and nicer) feet once you start split soles or dancing barefoot.
Herekittykitty

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Full soles also makes it harder to feel the floor, which for some kids means they can't tell if they are properly on releve or not, or what part of their foot they are balancing on.
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Our studio required split sole for the more advanced levels. Most of the little kids had full soles, they were not required but usually cheaper.
SpicyLuck

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
What is RAD, exactly is that comparable to grade 5 school age? My little one has only been doing rec for 2 years.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
RAD is The Royal Academy of Dance.  They offer a syllabus and exams in ballet.  I don't know how popular a registered syllabus is in the US but it's pretty popular here.

Levels start at pre primary which can be 5-7 years old.  When DS did his RAD grade 5 exam the dancers ranged in age from 9-13.  The grades don't correlate at all to regular school grades.
brizziemum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
RAD has minimum ages for their exams but can seem too general - primary age 6, grades 1-5 minimum age 7, grades 6-8 and intermediate foundation ( this is where pointe starts) minimum age 11, final exams ( Advanced 2 and solo seal) minimum of 15.
PerfectingLeisure

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Interesting... my 7yo is going into Petite comp next year (7-9), but the studio is moving away from colored Leos for each company level and for ballet he wants them all in black, no mesh or lace, and pink split shoes for the entire ballet program. I'' good because my daughter and I have major hyperflexibility so she will have to learn when to *stop* her arches, arms, knees. Early education is taught by a teacher I suspect will continue to be flexible with what she accepts in shoes for 7 and below.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.