Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm drawing a blank right now, but I'm sure they will come to me.

What songs would get absolutely a veto from you?

Trying to think of songs I've heard at comps that made me say to myself, "over my dead body!"

Unfortunately most were hip hop routines and I can't name them as I had never heard them prior.
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Omg I know there are some and I can't remember them now!

Of course I talk a mean game but unless it was a solo or maybe a d/t I doubt I would say much if anything about song choice - lol
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thong Song
lovemykids

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Dear Future Husband! 

karenc

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Don't have a comp dancer but a group at a past recital danced to Teeth (Lady Gaga) and had I had any input, that would have been a "no" from me.  And I second the songs already mentioned!  Yuck.

Edit - I should add that the song was only used in an evening show (no young performers) and was performed by high school age girls as a vampire piece (not similar to Lady Gaga's video).  I still hated it. 
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DDs old 'studio' used "Juicy Wiggle" in bits and pieces, never had heard the whole song until after competition season was under way. Glad I hadn't. Same mix also included portions of Jason Derulos "Watcha gonna do with that big fat butt... wiggle wiggle wiggle"; ugh and blecth. Choreography was appropriate, but again, once I listened to the whole song all the way through. eww. Minis age group too.

Same studio used a song from 50 shades, dressed their seniors/open in booty shorts, tailored shirts and grey ties and sent the lone guy out in torn jeans and shirtless. Mind you, this routine was performed over and over again in front of the tiny age group (7 and below).  They used the Beyonce crazy in love, which by itself is fine, but when you're basically performing an interpretation of 50 shades for 5 year olds and up, gross.

jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I saw a medley of Salt N Pepa at our last competition. I would have vetoed that one lol. Don't get me wrong, I'll let 9yo jam along to it in the car, but I don't want her gyrating in tight clothes in front of 100 strangers to it.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzminesun81
I saw a medley of Salt N Pepa at our last competition. I would have vetoed that one lol. Don't get me wrong, I'll let 9yo jam along to it in the car, but I don't want her gyrating in tight clothes in front of 100 strangers to it.

My high school dance team had a Salt N Pepe routine to Push It 30 years ago. I can still remember parts of it. :-)
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpeanut
My high school dance team had a Salt N Pepe routine to Push It 30 years ago. I can still remember parts of it. :-)

High school might be a little different[wink]
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Many years ago, dd did a hip hop piece to Kanye's Monster.  It was totally cleaned up but before I heard the cleaned up version I googled it and was pretty shocked at the lyrics.  The funny thing is after I heard the real version, I couldn't unhear it.  Dd and I would sing the dirty version in the car and laugh and laugh....but it was unsettling at first.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Missy Elliot's Work It... if you're not paying attention it's super catchy, but when you pay attention whoa !
elastigal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
"Cooties"! from Hairspray. Saw a mini do a jazz solo to it last year, not our studio, and I was horrified. Listening to the lyrics it's like a bullying song. Would totally veto that one.
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenc
Don't have a comp dancer but a group at a past recital danced to Teeth (Lady Gaga) and had I had any input, that would have been a "no" from me.  And I second the songs already mentioned!  Yuck.

Edit - I should add that the song was only used in an evening show (no young performers) and was performed by high school age girls as a vampire piece (not similar to Lady Gaga's video).  I still hated it. 

Interesting a few years ago our older girls had a comp piece to this song that they did similarly and I felt it made the song more appropriate and enjoyed it. One of the girls moms has requested she do it again before she graduates
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
DDs old 'studio' used "Juicy Wiggle" in bits and pieces, never had heard the whole song until after competition season was under way. Glad I hadn't. Same mix also included portions of Jason Derulos "Watcha gonna do with that big fat butt... wiggle wiggle wiggle"; ugh and blecth. Choreography was appropriate, but again, once I listened to the whole song all the way through. eww. Minis age group too.

Same studio used a song from 50 shades, dressed their seniors/open in booty shorts, tailored shirts and grey ties and sent the lone guy out in torn jeans and shirtless. Mind you, this routine was performed over and over again in front of the tiny age group (7 and below).  They used the Beyonce crazy in love, which by itself is fine, but when you're basically performing an interpretation of 50 shades for 5 year olds and up, gross.

We had a similar thing with a 50 shades song- the parents were really upset. We didn't understand why bc we didn't know what the song was from so for us we didn't have that context to skew our perception.

We also have a few older dances who no matter what you give them to dance it looks very sexy.
karenc

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Yep, it's ALL about perception.  Folks are all going to have different touch points and I guess that's what makes it all interesting! 

Just remembered a hiphop dance to Soldja boy (a young group that included one of my daughters).  It was a cute number & no one understood what the lyrics meant until after the recital (a family member of a dancer who attended mentioned it).  After looking that one up on Urban Dictionary, I can't watch it on the dvd.  Oh my goodness.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenc
Yep, it's ALL about perception.  Folks are all going to have different touch points and I guess that's what makes it all interesting! 

Just remembered a hiphop dance to Soldja boy (a young group that included one of my daughters).  It was a cute number & no one understood what the lyrics meant until after the recital (a family member of a dancer who attended mentioned it).  After looking that one up on Urban Dictionary, I can't watch it on the dvd.  Oh my goodness.

Oh wow! Just checked it out. Had no clue :|
angelashunter

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #17 
The remix Cotton Eyed Joe.....UGH.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Saw a junior solo to Just Like Heaven by the Cure.

Veto!

It's so inappropriate on so many levels.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
We hear XTina's "Candyman" several times a year, danced usually by really young kids.  Ever listen to the lyrics?  

Few years ago we competed against a team that was prepping for The Dance Awards.  Their junior soloists (9 - 11) were phenomenal dancers and almost every one of them danced to an entirely inappropriate song.  A S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G 9 year old danced flawlessly to a song about her lover and how he makes her feel "deep inside".  Um .....(averting gaze) .....
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745
Saw a junior solo to Just Like Heaven by the Cure. Veto! It's so inappropriate on so many levels.

DD9 loves the Katie Melua cover of this song (though they've never used it for a dance) and I've never thought it inappropriate? Is there some sort of innuendo I'm missing?
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
jazzminsun81, "According to Smith, "The song is about hyperventilating–kissing and fainting to the floor." The lyrics were inspired by a trip with his then-girlfriend (and later wife) Mary Poole to Beachy Head in southern England. Smith said the opening line of the song ("Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick") refers to his childhood memories of mastering magic tricks, but added "on another [level], it's about a seduction trick, from much later in my life"."

from, http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/7564/

You just can't "un know" it once you read it (one of the comments is much more explicit)
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Honestly, after what happened earlier this year with our old studio, I think I would veto anything about religion for DD'S sake, lol.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
hsealover, pardon my memory, but what happened?
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsealover
Honestly, after what happened earlier this year with our old studio, I think I would veto anything about religion for DD'S sake, lol.

What happened?

Haha DD has a religious solo this year and whenever she doesn't do as well as she thinks she should (and she's placed every time- lol) she laughs and says it's because the judges are atheists- lol. I like her humor and letting it roll off realizing the subjectivity.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Wow, I never knew that! DD9's friends are always asking her to do contortion tricks to entertain them so that's what she thinks of as tricks lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
jazzminsun81, "According to Smith, "The song is about hyperventilating–kissing and fainting to the floor." The lyrics were inspired by a trip with his then-girlfriend (and later wife) Mary Poole to Beachy Head in southern England. Smith said the opening line of the song ("Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick") refers to his childhood memories of mastering magic tricks, but added "on another [level], it's about a seduction trick, from much later in my life"."

from, http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/7564/

You just can't "un know" it once you read it (one of the comments is much more explicit)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: