Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
This weekend DD14 competed as an independent at Revolution in Akron, Ohio and did very well! She competed against her old studio, which she left(sorta, kinda another story) in February. She got an elite gold, and first place for her tap solo. Her musical theater received elite gold, 1st place, and 8th overall. The best part is(she doesn't care how she places) she got the first actual award(aside from adjudications) of the day, which was the Broadway Bound award! DD was super excited! She's been trying to go for an entertainment award at the last two comps we went to and she finally got it! The emcee basically interviewed her and congratulated her in front of the whole competition, which her previous teachers/SO was at. DD cares more about the actual achievement, but I was excited that she got the recognition she deserves in front of the people who had been doubting her since the beginning of the season! We're ecstatic!
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My closest story was two years ago when a new dancer joined our team. We competed against her prior team that season. She was thrown when she was in the ladies room and the SO from her prior studio was at the sink with her. The SO acted like she didn't exist. This poor 13 year old girl was crushed. We pumped her up as best we could. I also went behind the scenes and convinced her teammates that this dancer should go up to get every award. Let's just say that our new teammate was very busy. She was up for every adjudication and up for our overalls. And we placed higher than her studio in every category. Sounds like a karma thing
JustAnotherDanceMom7

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
How wonderful!  Congrats to your DD! Nothing better than getting some validation after a transition like that - especially in front of her former studio.  Love it!
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Won't steal your thunder, but my goodness, Lady Karma was a busy busy bee this weekend [wink] Very very happy for you and for your beautiful child.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
My closest story was two years ago when a new dancer joined our team. We competed against her prior team that season. She was thrown when she was in the ladies room and the SO from her prior studio was at the sink with her. The SO acted like she didn't exist. This poor 13 year old girl was crushed. We pumped her up as best we could. I also went behind the scenes and convinced her teammates that this dancer should go up to get every award. Let's just say that our new teammate was very busy. She was up for every adjudication and up for our overalls. And we placed higher than her studio in every category. Sounds like a karma thing

DD had a similar experience her 1st year of competing.  The team let her go up for awards.  She was competing against the team that was 1 level above the team she would have been dancing with at the old studio.  2 of her dances that were up against the old studio where in the top 10 and the old studio didn't place at all.  It was a great moment for us since the reason we left was because they were holding her back.
SlackerMom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Congrats to your dd! I have noticed in the dance world that often the kids are fine with seeing friends from their old studios, but the adults don't seem to know how to behave!
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerMom
Congrats to your dd! I have noticed in the dance world that often the kids are fine with seeing friends from their old studios, but the adults don't seem to know how to behave!

Yep, it was mostly issues with some adults and I believe one of the dancers. Mostly the adults.
aking9957

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
That was the biggest thing we had to get or dancer out of. When she started as a soloist she had a streat of judges awards. 3 years and 12 comps a judges award each time. We never paid attention it was always, placement and trophy level. Then it finally happened, no judges awatd, first in category, first overall, platinum. No judges award.

Made it half way down the hallway and she completely broke down and bawled her eyes out and had everyone staring at us. Yup, no judges award. Out of all her accomplishments platinums, top 5 placements etc... the piece of paper was the most important to her.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: