Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Overloaded

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We will be moving to southern California from Colorado this December. DD(11) is not very happy she will have to move from her dance team and be out for this competition season. Can anyone recommend any studios? We plan to attend conventions etc so she can use this season to grow and prove herself. Any suggestions are welcome.
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome to SoCal!! I am very familiar with studios down here so if you could give me a bettie idea of where you are moving to I will be able to help you out a little bit more ( you can PM me if you are more comfortable with that). My DD actually just left her comp team and is now starting out her season competing independently with one solo and going to lots of conventions this season too. Excited to see how she will grow with these conventions and LA classes we do. The Southern California dance world is truly unique in itself!
Overloaded

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We're looking in the Camarillo, Simi Valley area. I'd love recommendations on conventions and drop in clinics as well. We are currently in a very small town with a great studio. Although we attend events in Denver fairly regularly, this will be a whole new experience for her... and me.
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I know The Rage Entertainment Complex is only about 20 minutes or so from Simi Valley. They are phenomenal. Technique, choreography, everything lol. Then if you are looking closer to Camarillo, I have heard good things about the Camarillo Academy of Performing arts. As far as conventions go, we are to 24/seven, NYCDA, and Hollywood Connection for sure. Aren't sure what others we are doing yet. Possibly ASH and West Coast Dance Alliance. For drop ins, my DD takes class everywhere, but she is older than your DD is. I know IDA has a good kids program I have heard about. Other studios like The Edge, and Millennium have kids classes too I know, you would just need to look on their website to find out when. What's your DD's favorite style? I know for hip hop, Guy Groove is super popular with kids in LA, i would say from ages 9-14. He teaches classes at The Playground and IDA.

I know Im giving you a lot of info lol, Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try to help. Also, I gave you some drop in classes in LA, Which i know if a little bit of drive. We actually live about an hour and a half from LA but I drive my DD multiple times a week into the city for her to get experience, she loves it... LA dancing is like no other!!
Overloaded

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #5 
All the info is great! Her favorite style is contemporary. I don't mind driving for drop ins and conventions, I'd rather find a home studio as close to home as possible but I will be working from home so I have the freedom to take her wherever I need. We were just out that way in August for Dancerpalooza and checked out the Playground, our studio out here does a lot with Muse Dance Company and their dancers so we will try to hit up as many of their classes as possible. I'm sure I will have more specific questions once we move. I really appreciate your help!
kyrical2

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Serendipity is in Simi and focuses on contemporary.  Start there.
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I have a friend who's daughter is at Dance Creations in Simi Valley. I've heard good things about Simi Dance Center, as well. 
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
In that general area, my top pick would be the Rage. There are so many studios and dance opportunities in southern Ca, it's just a matter of your dd trying out different places and deciding what she likes.

I'm in Orange County, so the studios I know well would be too far for you. One studio in Orange County that has drop in classes and sometimes some week-long intensive that is really great though is Brea Space. It's owned and run by Autumn Miller's family, and they bring in phenomenal teachers all the time.

As far as conventions, pretty much all of the well-known conventions come to southern CA. You can just look at their websites and see their schedules. One convention you may not be familiar with that I would recommend though is 2 Days in the OC. It's in Irvine every year, usually in early June. This convention is only this one weekend and does not go to any other location. DD had attended several times and really likes it. The teachers are great and so inspiring!
Overloaded

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #9 
So, our move is just 2 weeks away! So far we are planning to check out Rage and Gotta Dance. Avalon has full scholarships to Revive and Adreniline conventions, and a partial scholarship to LADM's Final Cut. I'm looking for some smaller conventions / drop in classes. We do a lot with MuseEffect when they're in Colorado, so she's planning to take any of there dancers classes at Playground when available.... what else should i be looking into? She won't be competing this year, obviously, so I'd like to get her as much training as possible while she is free to focus on it and not comp dances. Small intensives, conventions are preferred. I love Break the floor events and i think they're motivating and inspiring, but they're much to crowded for any real training.
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I agree with you on Break the Floor events, though in So Cal they bring in amazing talent and some famous faces so it might be worth checking out just for that. NUVO is in January I believe, and Dancerpalooza will either be in Long Beach or Anaheim. (Tho my daughter hates conventions so will not be at either!) I agree with the recommendation on Brea Space...some of my daughter's regular teachers do classes there quite often - Kelley Guise-Palin, Chalatorn Ujamras. My daughter will be at Chalatorn's class on the 14th (I don't think registration is open for that yet but watch for it). I don't know anything about Gotta Dance, but Rage is definitely a good choice. Just be sure to check out the distance from where you'll be living because traffic in that area is bad. Really bad. Speaking of Rage, they are part of Millennium Dance Complex, where great master classes are held all the time, and is a great place for your daughter to take some classes during this year of not competing. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.