Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
LittleMonkeyMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm looking for song suggestions for my 12 year old dd's solo for next year.  She does really well with upbeat songs that allow her to portray a character -- this year she did "9-5", and it was fantastic, so I'm looking for something like that -- totally clean, age appropriate (not too babyish, but not too old either) and high energy.   Totally open to jazz & broadway/musical theater, as long as she has a character to portray.

I feel like it's really hard to find appropriate songs for this age group, so any & all suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I think I'll let DD answer this, she's much better with this type of thing, she literally has lists of songs in her phone.

You are totally right, difficult age group! Here's a few ideas, I have tons more, so let me know if you would like more!

"I Want to be Rockette" by Debbie Gravitte (she could be a Rockette, lol!)
"Everything is Beautiful" from The Island of Misfit Toys (not going to lie, the video is a little odd, I think its from a movie, but catchy and fun song!)
"Le Jazz Hot" by Julie Andrews (a bit mature in the voice, but its clean and fun)
"The Greatest Star" from Funny Girl (This was originally going to be my musical theater song last year, but things didn't work out at that studio, lol. But such a fun song to dance to, I had a blast with it!)
"I Like to Fuss" by Patti LuPone (May be too babyish, depends on your DD)
"Ma' He's Makin' Eyes at Me" by Teresa Brewer (I love this song, this could be super cute)
"Dollhouse" by Priscilla Renea (Was originally my jazz group song this year, fun!)
"Oh My Gosh" by Basement Jaxx (Super fun and sassy)
"It's All About Me" by Chelsea Staub (One of my friends did this when she was 12!)
"Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley & His Comets (fun and its a classic!)

Let me know what you think, if you would like more ideas, let me know, I have tons more! And if there's a few from the list that are more the vibe you're going for then I will cater to that! Good luck!
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Popular from Wicked
Ease on Down the Road
Several songs from Hairspray (Good Morning Baltimore, Mama I'm a Big Girl Now)
I Can't Do it Alone from Chicago

dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Here I Am from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
In this area, it's a guaranteed 1st in class if you do "I am Adolpho" from the Drowsy Chaperone.  At first I just thought it was the kid from our studio who did it in a certain way that gave her first overall (for MT and often in general overalls) all year.  Then I realized year after year that EVERYONE who did that number ended up high in overalls.  There are a lot of MT songs available.  To repeatedly, ad nauseum, see different kids from different studios and age groupings do that number and end up with a high mark means there's opportunity in that routine to wow the judges.   Good luck.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I have to second I Am Adolpho.  Pulled from Adams Family is also good for that age.  We have dancers do song and dance to both these numbers and do really well.
LittleMonkeyMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks!  Please keep the suggestions coming -- DT is picky, so it's great to have a long list of options to give her!! [smile]
LittleMonkeyMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Any other suggestions?  DD & DT have vetoed everything I've suggested so far ...
kradonov

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Don't rain on my parade
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
She's in Love from Little Mermaid.  Sing Your Own Song from Dear Edwina.  The Perfect Nanny from Mary Poppins.  The Girl I Mean To Be from The Secret Garden.  Amazing Maizie from Suessical.
Virginia9

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Falling For You
You Can't Stop The Beat
My favorite is The Mad Hatter (from Wonderland)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: