Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dance010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We are going to KAR nationals this season. Just out of curiosity, do you always bring your kids solos to nationals? Any instances where you wouldn't take the solos? If they didn't place at the regionals? If they didn't get the highest adjudication at regionals? Just wondering, SO thinks that if the solo didn't place in the top 10 and get the highest adjudication at our KAR regionals we attended (elite top first) that we probably shouldn't bring the solo to nationals. Wondered all your thoughts on this!!

edited: Our SO is in no way "forbidding" the girls to go to nationals. She just thinks the if they didn't place in overalls at regionals, the judging is only that much harder at nationals. It is still completely up to the individual if they compete or not
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Nope. At our studio, if your solo was at a Regional and it earned an adjudication that meets the comps guidelines, it goes to Nationals. I guess it depends on the values of your studio. What your SO is proposing is a value of a solo going for the win. I have always thought the value of a solo is to get private instruction, to grow in a genre that you love and to grow in the confidence necessary to get onstage, alone, in an outfit the size of a tissue and pour your heart out to a roomful of strangers. I cannot remember a time where SO forbid a solo from competing at regionals or nationals. And there were a few times....

But I thank you for your post. I have been having a bit of a pity party tonight. DD and two of her BFFs competed their solos tonight at a regional with the intention of taking them to nationals. Our studio goes to nationals every other year. This is an off year. My kid and her friend are seniors. Why not do one more nationals (that is located very nearby) just for fun? Not sure what happened, but my kid was a hot mess. Last weekend, judges choice, highest adjudication and 2nd overall. Tonight, worst adjudication in years. Your post reminded me what I have always valued about DD doing a solo. That is to have the ability to put it out there and be able to accept judgement of it. While I'm not proud of what she did, only because she told me she knew it wasn't near her best, I am proud of her to sit on that stage and accept that adjudication without falling apart. It's easy to say that failure is the best teacher, but it's much harder to live it. I'm pretty sure there is a lesson for my kid tonight that she would not have learned if she wasn't able to compete. How sad that your SO is preventing her dancers to learn and grow and not necessarily win.

nodrama15

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Our solos all go to Nationals, regardless of where they placed at regionals.  Our studio really does nationals for the fun and experience....we are a small studio, so usually get eaten up by the larger studios :-)  My daughter placed first at the regional comp....her goal is to place in the overalls at nationals, but we know how stiff the completion is so she knows she has to work really hard, and our expectations are realistic....but she will have a great time either way.  Any performance opportunity is worth it....I'm really surprised your SO is thinking this way.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
All solos are welcome to compete when we go to Nationals. I think it's great to do it no matter how you did at regionals, because it motivates you to really take the critiques to heart and apply them. One year, DD just barely qualified for nationals, at this event you needed to place in overalls to qualify and she was the last to qualify in her age group. She worked her butt off for the next three months, and ended up winning overalls at nationals, so you never know what might happen!
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
In my experience, nationals is just another form of regionals, hopefully bigger and with different teams than you usually see...but not even always that. Our studio just treats it as another regional. My daughter has even entered duets and solos that she didn't compete at regionals without even a question about it from the competition. I'm this may depend on which competition it is.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
It would never cross my mind to not take a solo to nationals based on how it scored at regionals. Different day, different competition, possibly different judges (especially at a comp like KAR that has so many different comps going on every single weekend). Also, nationals is not always tougher competition than regionals. One year, a dancer from dd's studio did not place with her solo at regionals, but got 1st overall at nationals. That same year, dd had gotten 2nd overall at regionals and didn't place at nationals, so you just never know.
AtTheStudio

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I say if they want to compete and you have the money, take them to nationals for the following reasons:

1) The competition you faced at regionals may not be going to the same nationals you are. Most teams compete in several regional comps but only go to one nationals (if at all).

2) The worst performers at your regionals could still be better than most/all of the performers at another regional event.

3) You don't compete regionals back to back with nationals - there is lots of time to put in the work to improve. 

4) Everyone can have an "off" day that doesn't show their true abilities. 
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I agree that there is no need to worry about winning and that nationals may or may not be a harder competition.

But I will add that weighing what you get out of competing a solo at nationals is reasonable. Competing the solo usually means 2-3 more days of travel expenses, plus solo entry and rehearsal fees easily gets to $1000 for the privilege to perform the solo one more time.

So for many reasons - the dancer is ready to focus on next year, the dancer gets deflated about not comparing well, the parent is upset or pressuring the dancer because they had to go to a dance competition and give up 3 extra days away from the rest of the family or even work - thinking about if taking your solo to nationals is worth it is reasonable.

tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Our old studio took at elite company dances to nationals as long as they met the minimum at regionals.  It was about growth.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpeanut
All solos are welcome to compete when we go to Nationals. I think it's great to do it no matter how you did at regionals, because it motivates you to really take the critiques to heart and apply them. One year, DD just barely qualified for nationals, at this event you needed to place in overalls to qualify and she was the last to qualify in her age group. She worked her butt off for the next three months, and ended up winning overalls at nationals, so you never know what might happen!

Thank you for your story. This is a great reason why to take a dance to nationals. Lots can happen between regionals and nationals.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
I agree that there is no need to worry about winning and that nationals may or may not be a harder competition.

But I will add that weighing what you get out of competing a solo at nationals is reasonable. Competing the solo usually means 2-3 more days of travel expenses, plus solo entry and rehearsal fees easily gets to $1000 for the privilege to perform the solo one more time.

So for many reasons - the dancer is ready to focus on next year, the dancer gets deflated about not comparing well, the parent is upset or pressuring the dancer because they had to go to a dance competition and give up 3 extra days away from the rest of the family or even work - thinking about if taking your solo to nationals is worth it is reasonable.

I agree with this. If money isn't a concern, then go for it. However, the benefits gained from learning and performing a solo leading up and through the regionals season have probably been gained by the time Nationals rolls around.

Our studio doesn't do a Nationals b/c so many go on to summer intensives, but if we did and the SO had a certain level of expectations on which solos could go (meaning protecting the studio's reputation) and it would save me a substantial sum in entry fees and hotel costs, I'd be happy about it.
Billpayer2000

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
My daughter took her solo to a local national. It didn't place at the regional, but she was invited to be part of the comp's national company and perform. It was a requirement to compete and it was easiest to just bring her solo.  She really liked it and improved from the regional, even though she didn't place either time. She was 9 at the time and her second year competing. 
cram

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Twice we have been to nationals my eldest DD placed much higher (overalls) at nationals and didn't even come close at regionals.  as mentioned above, different day, different judging, and also by nationals they have those solos very clean and they are much more confident. The extra rehearsals do make a difference.
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Well, nationals is usually a whole different ball game than regionals. You can be a regular top 5 at regionals and not place at all at nationals. Take the Dance Awards for example. You might place top 10 at Jump, Nuvo, and/or 24/Seven but not make top 20 at TDA. Our soloists all perform their solos at nationals regardless. I don't think placement at a regional should have any effect on doing a solo at nationals. Do it at nationals because you love to dance! 
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Last year DD did not place at regionals for the nationals we took her solos to. One judge at regionals had hated her. Both solos she scored her 5 points below where the others had. At nationals, DD got highest adjudication for both solos and placed in overalls, high point (TOP combines the two solo scores and has another line up) and TOP entertainer. Great competitors at the national we attended. Again, it's a different set of judges who are looking for different things. I say take it.
ladybug1993

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Ours did not do well at the national qualifier (just a bad weekend), but had done so well, placed in top 5 at all other comps, so SO stated that we were welcome to take it to nationals.  I agreed that since it had done so good before the qualifier, that we would take it...if nothing else but to allow her a chance to "just have one last hoorrahh" with it and just have fun.  She has worked so hard all year, her dad and I didn't want to have her last performance be her worst.  So nationals will be less pressure, just go have fun.  ($$$$ yes, but young and it's worth it to let her have another chance at performing it). 
gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
I agree that there is no need to worry about winning and that nationals may or may not be a harder competition. But I will add that weighing what you get out of competing a solo at nationals is reasonable. Competing the solo usually means 2-3 more days of travel expenses, plus solo entry and rehearsal fees easily gets to $1000 for the privilege to perform the solo one more time. So for many reasons - the dancer is ready to focus on next year, the dancer gets deflated about not comparing well, the parent is upset or pressuring the dancer because they had to go to a dance competition and give up 3 extra days away from the rest of the family or even work - thinking about if taking your solo to nationals is worth it is reasonable.

Yes but, if you are already going there as a team member, have already paid for the solo choro, already paid for 10 months of lessons, already paid for a costume and rhinestones, already paid travel expenses, already paid for a hotel, what's another $165?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: