Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dornot2d

I think the 2017 Mini Dancer of the Year from the Dance Award Orlando had a solo with performance and technique. I'm not sure if I should mention her name but we used to see her solos at competitions and she is amazing. 

http://www.thedanceawards.com/hall-of-fame/mini-female

I'm sure you can search any of their names on YouTube and find solo videos.

ETA: On the page above, their's links to their winning solo videos up to 2016 winners. 

Thank you for the link, will sure look them up on YouTube [smile]
owensamo

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama
This is our 4th year competing and I don't think I've ever seen a ballet solo placed within the top 5 here where we live.

My daughter competed in Teen against a ballet solo that was amazing. It was a late entry, so I assume they were running it before YAGP. The ballet solo came in first - and deservedly so. 

This year she has a tap solo to a song from an old Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movie. The choreography is *very* in style with the movie, and it's more technical tap, with no real tap tricks (hard to do toe stands in character shoes). I think it's amazing, but I have no idea what the judges will think, as I've never seen anything quite like it in 9 years of competing!
sarahannexo

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #28 
As Mollee Gray has nicely put it, "Tricks are for kids."

I'd take this as a good opportunity to focus on technical execution rather than the pageantry that often comes with competition.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama

This is our 4th year competing and I don't think I've ever seen a ballet solo placed within the top 5 here where we live.

That’s too bad [frown] She competed as a mini or petite at most of the comps that year and placed well. At one comp she was in the junior division (9-12) and still placed 4th. It is still one of my favorite solos she’s done.
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Well mine is doing a lyrical solo with absolutely no tricks in the mini division. I won’t lie .... im a bit nervous. 😜. Will let you know in April/ May how she did.
Charlie

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #31 
My 14 year old daughter has always had lots of tricks in her solos. She also was always given musical theater or jazz. She is at a new studio this year and they brought in an outside choreographer. She is so excited to have a Contemporary solo with no tricks or turn sequences. She loves it!
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimisMom
Well mine is doing a lyrical solo with absolutely no tricks in the mini division. I won’t lie .... im a bit nervous. 😜. Will let you know in April/ May how she did.

My older one started as a petite/mini with lyrical and no tricks. She had a single turn that progressed to a double by year end. One leap. She placed every freaking time in the highest level. I think the highest she placed that year was 3rd. 

She owned that dance and that stage. I think the first time we were all shocked by her confidence and overall command of the stage. She drew you in and made you want to watch her dance. She performed it so well and flawlessly that there was little they could critique... and she presented herself well beyond her years. This stage presence, technique and confidence has continued to serve her well with nothing but trickless lyrical solos to date... (Although she does turn extremely well.)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.