Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
DancingDawn2011

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #1 
DD's solo this year doesn't have any tricks which is very unlike how her studio normally operates (she has an outside choreographer). Her solo looks so simple compared to her teammates. It's hard to believe that she can do well with it. She's 12 and the oldest in the age category she's competing in this year so I feel like this is her best shot to get a good adjudication. And maybe even place. Not that it matters, I certainly know that. Anyway, does anyone have any examples of simpler solos that did well? I'd love to see them. Thanks in advance.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
12 is the youngest age in the teens for about 90% of the comps I've been to. A clean routine in the teens without tricks would probably do well over something filled with tricks. The few comps where 12 is a junior? It could go either way since the younger set seems to rely on tricks. You never know, the judges might think it is refreshing to see a younger dancer actually dance instead of contorting and flipping all over. Good luck this season!
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My daughter's routine had an aerial in it last year which she pulled 75% of the time and did a simple leap instead. She scored better when she pulled the aerial than when she did it. Clean technique will trump sub-par tricks almost always. 
Rebelina

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My DD (she is competing at 11 this year) always competes solos without a lot of tricks. They may appear simple because she is not tumbling or turning every other second but they are full of solid dance technique and lots of emotion in the performance. She has always adjudicated well and typically earns the top adjudication when she competes. I always love her solos and I think they are refreshing and beautiful. Good luck to you DD!
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDawn2011
DD's solo this year doesn't have any tricks which is very unlike how her studio normally operates (she has an outside choreographer). Her solo looks so simple compared to her teammates. It's hard to believe that she can do well with it. She's 12 and the oldest in the age category she's competing in this year so I feel like this is her best shot to get a good adjudication. And maybe even place. Not that it matters, I certainly know that. Anyway, does anyone have any examples of simpler solos that did well? I'd love to see them. Thanks in advance.

It sounds lovely!!

I'm not a fan of gymnastic tricks, so a routine full of dance steps is a breath of fresh air when I see one performed.

I hope she has a wonderful season!
dancemom0987

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Solos without tricks frequently place higher than ones with tricks. It shows off the dancer's emotion and technique better, which is more of what dance is. Depending on the choreography, it could be a more mature dance because it'll be about the technique and everything rather than how many aerials she can do. My DD doesn't like tricks much and if they're originally choreographed in the dance, they'll most likely be taken out eventually (she usually places pretty high).
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Here's my two cents. Is she happy with the solo? Is she happy working on it, cleaning it, learning it, learning from it? Does it help her to grow as a dancer? Is she excited to perform it at competition? If the answer is yes, don't look back and enjoy this season. Comparison is the thief of joy (not my quote, not sure of the source). Stop comparing unless it's a direct reflection on something you want to change in in you.
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #8 
Perhaps you can watch a live stream of a NUVO, Jump, 24Seven competition and see examples of dances that score well without tricks.  The dances that score well will show excellent technique.  Dance is different from gymnastics in that there isn't really a "level of difficulty" that necessarily earns a better score.  

ETA - here is an example of an excellent dance without "tricks" from Lucy Vallely who won The Dance Awards Teen Dancer of the Year with this solo.

Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My daughter's last solo as a senior had no tricks.  It didn't even have turns.  Her costume was plain with no bling. But, it scored the top adjudication and I think it placed at all the regional comps.  It still got the highest adjudication at nationals but didn't place.  She loved it and I loved it too.  It was the perfect dance for her.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Parent of a trickless 12 year old who was also a trickless 11 year old, etc etc... and she almost always places in the highest level. Technique, musicality and performance make more of an impact. A flawlessly executed routine that is still age appropriate in difficulty will always do better than a choppy routine with tricks and sub par technique. 
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
My daughter last year at age 14 won her division 2x and got 3rd once with a non-trick solo. She had 2 single turns and one leap. She's never been able to do tumbling or acro tricks. Her dance had a strong concept, showed off her technique, and was executed well.
Mamala

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #12 
There does not need to be a bunch of tricks to score well. Sometimes those dances that you think look "simple" are actually very difficult and require a lot of strong technique to pull off. I have been at comps where I see those simple dances outscore the more difficult ones with tons of tricks because the simple ones were performed flawlessly while the more difficult ones were not.
kradonov

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Prancer thank you for posting the video!  I am going to show my DD (10) who is struggling to get her aerial and is convinced all the other girls are going to beat her.  Straight legs, pointed feet, timing, and even a bit more expression is MUCH better for her to focus on!
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #14 
Kradonov. When my daughter saw this Dance live, she was in awe. Hope your dancer likes it.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kradonov
even a bit more expression is MUCH better for her to focus on!

Yes, please do not underestimate the impact of expression and a dancer's visual focus!!!
LittleMonkeyMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
My dd is also 12 & will be doing a solo that likely will not have tricks - I posted something similar recently [smile].  She has taken a big growth spurt recently & her aerial & back handspring are just not consistent enough to go in dances right now, IMO.  We are going with the mantra that clean & simple is better than potentially executing tricks poorly (or worse, not at all!).
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Now I'm very curious to see if there's any trickless mini that did well?
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama

My daughter's first solo at 9 was a ballet solo. Very simple, classic ballet and she scored very well with it even taking a 1st overall at one of the comps. 
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:

Me too.  In the comps we attend I have to say that tricks are common and "seem" to score well.
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
At our old studio, there were 2 8-year-olds competing against each other (friends in real life).  One routine was filled with tricks, while the other was so much simpler but very clean.  Both jazz.  Studio attended 4 comps and each dancer beat the other one twice.

If the routine is clean and well performed, it can all come down to the judges' preferences.

purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
I don't like dances with a ton of tricks. I've seen beautiful dancers with a few tricks or no tricks. They scored well. I think it depends what competition you go to.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I also have a trickless mini who has won title and places too 3 almost ever time. She isn’t as technically sound as her sister but she performs the heck out of her routines.

LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew

My daughter's first solo at 9 was a ballet solo. Very simple, classic ballet and she scored very well with it even taking a 1st overall at one of the comps. 

This is our 4th year competing and I don't think I've ever seen a ballet solo placed within the top 5 here where we live.
Dancingemu

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #24 
I'd love to see more dances that are dance moves instead of tricks. While tricks are fun to watch, at least the comps we attend, more than 3 and they are no longer includes in their original category. It's actually more difficult to win with all the tricks unless they hit perfect every trick.
2dornot2d

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:

I think the 2017 Mini Dancer of the Year from the Dance Award Orlando had a solo with performance and technique. I'm not sure if I should mention her name but we used to see her solos at competitions and she is amazing. 

http://www.thedanceawards.com/hall-of-fame/mini-female

I'm sure you can search any of their names on YouTube and find solo videos.

ETA: On the page above, there's links to their winning solo videos up to 2016 winners.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.