Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
amybeth

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Do most studios allow students to choose the song they want to do for their solo? Our studio has a dance teacher that insists on choosing the song himself!
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Our soloists get to have input into song choice, more so the older they get. Of course if a dancer picked something completely inappropriate, the DT would have veto power. However, I feel very strongly that the dancer should have a say; I feel like the more the dancer connects with the music, the better their performance will be. Also, I would hate to be paying for a solo and spending all that time in rehearsal if dd didn't like the music. However, I know this is not the case in many studios; many have no say at all.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
When DD was at her former studio (she is a college sophomore now) it was a little of both.  When the dancers were young, the choreographer basically chose every song even for solos. 

But by the time a dancer was 16, 17, 18 or so the dancer usually had a session with the choreographer where they listened to a few songs, did a few combinations to them, and then discussed the options.  It was always more of a collaboration at that point, but when the dancers were young, song choice was pretty much always the choreographers decision to make.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
DD 15 has worked with her contemporary choreographer for years-they picked her song together. Her tap choreographer asked for a few suggestions from her, then he picked the one he liked the best. I think it's all over the board as far as choreographer preference. Your choreographer may have a particular idea in mind for your DD. Or maybe she's younger? 
amybeth

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
He’s 14. He hasn’t been allowed to ever choose the song.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Both studios we attended s/d/t were invite only and the DT chose style, song and costume.  AS they got older they got some say but they were never really able to choose their music.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom
When DD was at her former studio (she is a college sophomore now) it was a little of both.  When the dancers were young, the choreographer basically chose every song even for solos. 

But by the time a dancer was 16, 17, 18 or so the dancer usually had a session with the choreographer where they listened to a few songs, did a few combinations to them, and then discussed the options.  It was always more of a collaboration at that point, but when the dancers were young, song choice was pretty much always the choreographers decision to make.

This. My daughter is only 11 and her songs are chosen. When they get older they definitely get to give their input. 
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Our current studio is NON-competitive, so my answer only applies to the Spring recital.

Last year was the first year my son got to perform a solo.  The owner/teacher/choreographer picked the song for him...basically asking him if he liked it "ok".  He was fine with it, but not something he'd have chosen on his own.

This year, he is preparing to do 2 solos...a jazz & a tap.  For jazz, he wanted to specifically dance to a song he loves, and he brought it to her.  She agreed because she thought it was very significant that he felt connected to it and it would bring out a stronger performance.  That made me very happy as a parent.  At this point he hasn't started the tap solo yet, so we have no idea where that music will end up.  [crazy]

EDIT:  My son just turned 11.
amlmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We can choose our own song. The choreographer may suggest something else, and while that has happened to others, it hasn't happened to us. If you don't have a song/s in mind, they will suggest a few and you get to pick. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
At DD16's studio, they have a say in the song.  At our previous studio, the SO chose it.
jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
At our studio, even the littles get some some say in their solo song. AD will present options if they don't have any ideas, and of course, will veto any inappropriate choices.
Mommyof3dancers

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #12 
We have zero imput on our solos. Every single detail is choosen by our teacher.
mom24

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Our teacher asks if we have any song ideas.  If we have some but she doesn't like them, she will suggest something else.  If we don't have ideas, she will give a few choices.  Ultimately, I think BOTH the choreographer AND the dancer need to connect with the music.  Same for costumes.  We can pick but she can veto, or she will suggest a few and we will choose one.  It's definitely a collaboration!

my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
DD15's studio is super small so she has chosen her solo songs with approval of the DT doing the choreography.  3 solo's and we haven't had any issues.  Quite the opposite, they were excited about her choices.
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
A few of my DDs' teachers have asked if they had any song ideas.  Sometimes they have gone ahead with one of the suggestions and sometimes not.  Most of the time the song is just chosen by the choreographer with no input.  That is our experience with two dancers and a combined 19 years of solos.
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
The younger kids have the song chosen for them. For the older ones out DT gives them a choice of 3 songs. And I believe the oldest ones have input or chose their own.
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Depends on the choreographer. This year DD chose a song they did a combo to at the end of last season her her choreographers class. So we knew choreographer liked it. Wasn’t my favorite, but my kid likes it and that’s what matters. Last year we had a song picked with one choreographer but had to change choreographers. We kept the song because it was special to the time after my husband having a heart attack and those trials. But I know the choreographer wouldn’t have picked it if he had a choice.

Most of our choreographers will go back and forth with choices until a mutually agreed upon song is found.
emcandance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
First two studios we chose with choreographer giving us thumbs up. Current studio, so chooses song and style.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I thought I replied to this but I guess I’m getting senile- lol

Typically our teacher has a song or two in mind and plays it for the kids and they can give their final decision. She will listen to recommendations and consider. She listens to music all the time so if she hears something with a specific dancer in mind she may ask them to listen to it during the year.

My DD12 was told both her songs this year. I guess she could have said no but we kind of operate along the lines of if she envisions it for you then it’s probably a good idea to dance to it unless you hate it. In fact most years she’s been given no choose or played two songs to choose from and chosen the one the SO would have picked for her. I think it would have been SO pick anyway. Her first solo she chose between 3 songs, her Fave was the least fave of the teacher, but they did it and it was perfect for her.

DD8 has mostly had them chosen for her with no say whatsoever but she’s ok with that. And I’ve heard and OKed the song before.
jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
DD7 has done a solo for the last two years. Last year, her choreographer asked her what her favorite song was. The song choice seemed appropriate for making into a solo routine, so that's what they went with. This year, my dd was indecisive, so I presented a jazz song to her AD, which she liked very much. They were two choreo sessions in when AD could tell that dd just wasn't feeling it. I got a text asking me about another song choice, which I think was a mutual choice between the two of them. My reply was, "If my dd loves it, and you think it will present well, go for it." It's an odd choice...Little Drummer Boy Pentatonix version, but I think it will be well-received. The choreography is somewhere between lyrical and contemporary with some acro tricks thrown in. I love it. 
gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
It really needs to be a collaboration. While you may hate a partici;ar song, imagine if you chose a song and the choreographer just wasn't feeling it.
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I would say ours is collaborative, if you ask.  Our SO will pick a song, but she is also open to dancers selections - and will veto if song is inappropriate or perhaps doesn't have enough change in music to choreo well to.  Last year my DD's song was picked.  It was okay - but she really didn't connect to the music.  This year my DD had more input and connects to her song and you can see the difference. 
DancerTilDawn

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
If its your 1st time doing a solo I could see if your choreographer would want to pick it themselves but at our studio you can pick your solo song
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.