Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Do you follow your SO or DT on social media? I have seen several retweets or posts by our SO lately that kind of made me raise my eyebrows. Some aimed at dance parents ( nonspecific of course). SO is very easily offended so even if you express concerns in a productive way it could be met with offense. I know she can do what she pleases but I feel it is kind of a slap to those writing her big checks..thoughts? And yes I know I can hit the door if I don't like it
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
No, we follow the studio but not the teachers or SO. This seems like it could just open a whole big can of worms.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Sounds like you might an SO with poor boundaries, or one who is just young and oblivious. 
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Our SO doesn't really use Facebook personally, and we follow the studio page.

Im friends with a few teachers, and they are very much like what my other friends post.

An so that gets easily offended sounds like she's in the wrong field. Dancers need thick skin.

disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My daughter's dance teacher has a Facebook profile as Name choreographer which we follow but that is separate from her personal one which we do not. We also follow the studio but not the owner's personal page.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I follow SO on social media as well as the studio pages.  But it was never intentional.  I began following SOs when they were just Ash's DTs.  Then they left and opened their own studio; we switched studios with them, so suddenly, I am following SOs not just DTs.  However, they don't post anything that would make me question my choice.  I actually do not follow one of the DTs at the studio because she also happens to be a teacher at Ash's high school and is also the Poms coach.  I will not cross the school line!
3girls

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I'm friends with the SO on Facebook but she never posts anything dance related and those of us who are friends with her are asked not to tag her in anything. She really is very careful not to offend anyone.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I follow the studio page and the dance teachers, but not the studio owner.
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I follow the page and friends with the SO on FB. She never ever posts anything personal, just shares studio's events. She also never comments or reacts to any of my posts in a personal way. She will wish me and dds happy birthday and like any dance related posts in which the studio is tagged. 
123Dance

Pending Email Verification
Reply with quote  #10 
I follow the page and am friends with the SOs and DTs on FB.  Nobody has ever posted anything in the least bit inappropriate or offensive.  
momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Interesting! This SO has a particular mom who she openly expresses how much she loves and how much she means to her. She also posts quotes about how studio parents should not say things and should keep things about the kids. Just wondering if this was typical. The mom she loves does a lot for her! So I can def see why she loves her.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I follow the studio and two of her teachers but not the SO. 
GlitzyGypsy

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Really irritating to see any DT, SO, cheer coach, pageant coach or anyone teaching kids venting about parents on social media! Sorry but you are being paid to do this, vent at girls night but don't make our company look bad by acting petty. Sorry for my strong opinion but I've had personal experiences with immature SOs!
tappergirlmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I follow the studio on FB but not the SO.  I am facebook friends with some of the DT's.  Thankfully, they all have enough sense to keep it professional.  If I ever saw some questionable stuff, it would disturb me too.  Mostly I just see family pictures and some mushy girlfriend/boyfriend stuff, nothing graphic, no drama.  

Seems like an adult on Facebook should be old enough to know not to vent about their job there.  Vent to a friend or your mom, not on the internet.  That's just dumb.  The same people they're bit**hing about are the ones paying their bills.  You'd think they'd have more sense.

Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I'm a FB friend of our SO, but she was a DT before she was a SO. And she is still a DT - teaches more than half of the classes. She has always been professional, at least what I've seen. We use FB groups to communicate a lot of info regarding rehearsal schedules, costuming, changes, etc. We also use group messages in a similar way, so it just makes sense to be FB friends with the DTs.

I'm a teacher also, though not dance, and I am always conscious of how I portray myself on social media. I have always made it a policy not to friend students or parents of students, but I did teach in the community in which I live for a long time. As a result there was always some overlap with people who were friends before I taught their children. Or people who were friends of people whose children I taught. So I am careful not to vent on my general FB page about anything that could reflect poorly on myself or my district, because I feel that it would cause far more problems than it would solve. Then again, that's sort of my personality anyway. I generally don't gripe about things except to a few select people I trust. Just don't see the need to put it all out there in public. Guess that makes me old and uncool [rolleyes]
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I am friends with both of our SO'S and a few of the DJ'S on fb. The one SO has a dd on the same team with my dd. She often misses out on the fun, downtime stuff with the girls, going out to eat etc because they are always watching other dancers. She appreciates when the moms take and share pics of her dd having fun with her friends at comps, picture day etc.

I am also friends with a few school teachers from our elementary school on fb.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I am friends with the SO and several teachers. I also follow other area schools & am friends with one or more of their owners/teachers.  One big happy dance community, at least on FB :-)
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 

I am FB friends with one of dd's former SOs. She is very media conscious and does not post negative things, though she does make political posts now and then. She will also post praise for certain parents now and then. She has a social media policy for the studio and does not allow teachers to be FB friends with students or parents, especially students. I was dropped as a FB friend when that policy was developed. Not a big deal. She also does not friend students until they graduate. 

The next school dd attended was exactly the opposite. Dd had teachers there friend her pretty quickly. The faculty there likes to know what is going on with their students outside the classroom. Not in a stalker-ish way, but in more of a family way. 

Klba37

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I only follow the Studio - not the teacher. I don't want her to know my business and really don't care to know her business other than dance information.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
The SO at dd's old studio did that.  Meme's & posts that weren't very nice directed at parents and sometimes students.  When several parents expressed concern about 1 of the ballet teachers (he made the girls cry every class and even threatened to tape 1 girls hands (these were 10-12 year olds btw)) the meme showed up about coaches being hard because they care yadayadayada.  When I nicely ask the favorite studio mom to please correct the spelling of my name (I'm Kris not Chris) on something, the mom said "I'm not changing it.  It's no big deal".  I responded that my name to me was a big deal.  Later in the day the SO posted a meme that was something to the effect that people always spell my name wrong and I don't care.

Yup one of the many reasons we're not longer at that studio.  Very unprofessional!
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Ditto, I follow only the dance studio and not any SO, DT, etc. I know many who do follow the SOs personal and professional page and that seems like asking for trouble. Hey, I'm a dinosaur though. I don't have my own facebook, instagram, twitter, etc. page. I don't do social media. Too much personal info floating around for me.
sbbrewerst

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
SO, DTs, and Comp Moms are all friends on social media. Been like that for 5 years now and we haven't had any issues yet. 
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klba37
I only follow the Studio - not the teacher. I don't want her to know my business and really don't care to know her business other than dance information.

That's why I'm glad my daughter's main teacher has a page that is her name, choreographer which is separate from her personal page.  She posts lots of pictures and videos from dance and comments on the videos I post of Jess which my daughter loves.  
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
SO's, DT's and moms are all friends on social media. Haven't had any issues. Old studio used to have a lot of drama BUT SO had kids the same age as the largest group and was BFF's with the moms of the studio favorites so there were always a lot of hurt feelings by the "un-chosen"
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
I'm friends with the SO and DT's and follow the professional pages on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.  There have never been any issues.  But that just seems to be the nature of the studio.  They are very positive in everything they put out to the public.  I'm sure when the SO and DT's get together in private they have vent-fests with each other... but if they do it always stays in private.  Even if it's a personal page vs. a business page, it's still a public forum, so social media is not a place they would ever put passive aggressive comments about parents or students.  But I think that should be the case anyway.  I don't know why social media has become this platform for making all of our private business public.  That just makes no sense to me.  lol
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: