Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dancemom7777

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Did anyone watch the new Lifetime show, So Sharp, which follows a college dance team? I watched the first episode and enjoyed it.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
No, but I'm glad you brought it to my attention. Which school?
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I haven't watched but I'm definitely interested!
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
DD and I watched the first episode. We both enjoyed it. I didn't like the fact that the girls had an on-camera weigh-in, but I think the producers handled it well, as they focused on how much above their audition weight they were and not on a crazy ideal weight. And one girl did mention her weight goal as 130, which seems pretty realistic. 

But the coach was hilarious and the girls are so drama filled, but at least they're all adults.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 

I find it interesting...Kendall Vertes' sister, Ryleigh was/is on the team.  We missed the beginning of the show so I don't know if that was mentioned or not.  I'm wondering if that's how Louisville was selected for the show? 

DD and I watched it, but neither of us were thrilled with the "gossiping" aspect between the coach and girls.  Yes, of course there is always going to be drama surrounding girls, but the tattling to the coach was a bit much for us.  College dance teams are crazy competitive though, I do know that!

DD is on her college's dance team and her perspective was quite interesting.  I'll be curious to see how the season progresses and how they choose to edit and dramatize each situation.  

Louisville is a great dance team though!

ccdcmomlisa`

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We watched it last night! My daughter and I liked it! The coach cracked me up. It's a bit dramatic but it's summer and we were bored! LOL 
ccdcmomlisa`

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom

I find it interesting...Kendall Vertes' sister, Ryleigh was/is on the team.  We missed the beginning of the show so I don't know if that was mentioned or not.  I'm wondering if that's how Louisville was selected for the show? 

DD and I watched it, but neither of us were thrilled with the "gossiping" aspect between the coach and girls.  Yes, of course there is always going to be drama surrounding girls, but the tattling to the coach was a bit much for us.  College dance teams are crazy competitive though, I do know that!

DD is on her college's dance team and her perspective was quite interesting.  I'll be curious to see how the season progresses and how they choose to edit and dramatize each situation.  

I thought the tattling was a bit much also! I'm sure it is very competitive and girls are catty but I have to think this was played up drama for TV! 
H2mom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I'm from Louisville area. There is huge following of the show locally! I love hearing what others are thinking about it!
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
The hair and makeup. . . . so many bad fake tans and bad dye jobs
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
It reminds me so much of the dance team at my univ. I wasn't on the dance team, but in the traditional dance program partly because of how catty it was to compete for a spot each week for something that in the end didn't matter. Lol

I will say, their team is amazing at competitions and do have a reputation of being on point.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
FWIW to anyone here who isn't familiar with the All Star world, this is it ! The private All Star dance studios that compete are just age group versions of this, more or less. So, when a dancer is invested in progressing through a private All Star studio, this is the end game, the best you can hope to do, the "big time". Wouldn't be my choice at this point in my life as a parent for my child to aspire to, but it appeals to a good number of parents and dancers.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom

Looks like Ryleigh's mom Jill is going to be on the show too.  [smile]

Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
The hair and makeup. . . . so many bad fake tans and bad dye jobs

Ha! In the Dallas Cowboy Cheer show, the newbies get a makeover or makeunder. Im surprised that a college team at this level doesn't do the same.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
The girl who really wants to be on the team and wants everyone to be her friend is the worst.  Her makeup is terrible
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
The girl who really wants to be on the team and wants everyone to be her friend is the worst.  Her makeup is terrible

And she has beautiful bone structure. She needs to highlight that.
H2mom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Stay Sharp is now on Tuesday nights (was Wednesday) at 10, after Dance Moms.
H2mom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2mom
Stay Sharp is now on Tuesday nights (was Wednesday) at 10, after Dance Moms.
H2mom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I think the time change starts next week- sorry!
armydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
FWIW to anyone here who isn't familiar with the All Star world, this is it ! The private All Star dance studios that compete are just age group versions of this, more or less. So, when a dancer is invested in progressing through a private All Star studio, this is the end game, the best you can hope to do, the "big time". Wouldn't be my choice at this point in my life as a parent for my child to aspire to, but it appeals to a good number of parents and dancers.

I always wondered what the appeal was for allstar dance. My dd competed in allstar cheer for awhile, so I got to see the allstar dance world from a distance and I still didn't really "get it." All the parents I spoke to where all gung-ho about the team aspect and the possibility to join a national ranked college team, but those are all benefits from choosing a traditional studio, plus the added benefit of being able to go professional. I guess in all it's just another kid sport; as long as they're having fun and moving their bodies, that's all that matters.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
armydancemom, you and I are in agreement. I think All Star has a place. My issue is when an All Star studio sells itself as something more than it is. What I mean is, they sell themselves as comprehensive dance training. In reality they are All Star team training and it is rare to find a studio that really develops a well rounded dancer. Well rounded All Star team member, maybe. I just saw so many parents who were so all encompassed with the whole process that they really did not understand what their child was NOT learning.
armydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Noel, I really think we're on the same page. Looking at Planet Dance (where the ladybirds dance at) Facebook and Instagram, it looks like they don't do much, if any, ballet. Just jazz,lyrical, hip hop and pom. The girls look talented, but I don't understand how they're getting proper technique, if they aren't training in ballet. Plus it looks like allstar lyrical, hip hop and jazz is different from what we normally see.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
All Star hip hop is unique. I actually think that the all star hip hop world does a much better job of developing hip hop dancers, now they are not trying to promote what they do as well rounded, they promote hip hop. Ironically, the all star studios that sell themselves as hip hop and jazz and lyrical and pom, they don't prepare hip hop dancers nearly as well.

Coming from one of the all star jazz/ lyrical/ pom factories I can say that it would actually be quite easy to introduce good technique to their students, but it would also involve thinking outside of their box. The place that DD left behind drones on and on about "technique" but what they define as technique and what a traditionally trained studio would define as technique have very little overlap. You will see pointed toes, and at the better studios perhaps you might even see turn out, but you won't see a comprehensive understanding of the totality of good technique from most all star studios.

I will say that from an outsider's perspective there is a studio in Texas that appears to be doing a good job of trying to develop well rounded dancers. Dance Dynamics. They emphasize ballet training from a young age. Without actually seeing how their process works I'm not sure how much it carries through, but at least they talk the talk.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.