Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
LolaD

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My heart is broken.....my 16 year old grand daughter has danced since she was 3. For the past 2 years she has been on her schools dance team not much studio time. Well she is not trying out for the school team next year and says she is not going to dance at all that is just not fun anymore.(I guess she is just burnt out) I just hate to think I won't get to see her dance anymore. Her Mom is not pushing this cause the stepmom owns the studio.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm sorry.  [frown]  Maybe she'll join something else where you'll still get to watch her.
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Sorry dance Grandma, I would be sad too.
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My daughter did the same. In her case I think it was partly due to past injuries and partly because none of her school friends danced. We still go to recital but it's not the same.
breezygirltx

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I think it's good that she has enough honesty to step forward and say she doesn't want to do it anymore. I'd rather have her stop dancing then continue without her heart in it and waste the money.

Now she'll have more time to see you since she won't be at dance all the time. Maybe go to arts festivals with her or something you both would enjoy.
LolaD

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
She is really having trouble with this. She has always spent ever Sunday night wit me. I guess I'm just a dance Mom at heart.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Is she having trouble with it because she really does want to dance but just not as much as she has all along? Has she just had it with the whole team thing? 
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Wow, that must be so hard. DD17 is in her last year of competition dance. She wanted to quit and not dance her last year. I know her well enough to know it wasn't because she didn't want to dance. She loves to dance, it's in her bones. She was overwhelmed by the expectations of late junior and early senior year. But she couldn't express it. My point to her was this, she will be studying for at least, most likely more than the next four years, she will be working the rest of her life, she will have plenty of opportunities to go on ski trips, etc. with her friends. But she only has the opportunity to dance with two of the most important friends she has this one, last season. And she will never, ever get that chance again. I am big on No Regrets. It hasn't been easy, but I know that she has a special appreciation for this year. And I am so happy that she chose to do it. And I will pick up the slack in order for her to do so. But I might grumble, a little
LolaD

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I think it is a little bit of both. The dance team and coach at school and her step mom at studio. Her Mom is so OK with this so I can't push. I just think she is going to be sorry when everybody is dancing and she is not. Her studio is going on a cruise next year and when her Dad and step sister goes she will be sad. I'm just hoping she will change her mind after this break.
AthleteArtistDancer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
This happened to us too - DD has been dancing since she was 3, on school and All-Star teams, in a studio geared toward training dancers specifically to be on the HS team. She'd been frustrated for several months before coming out one day after practice saying "I don't even like this - I don't want to be (on the HS team)!"  I had to pull my heart out of my stomach and said "I think you're having a bad few days, hang in there and we'll see how you feel in a couple weeks."  Nope - once she said it out loud, her mind was made up.

Like tendumom said, DD'd really had it with team dance rather than wanting to quit dance entirely. Now she's in a very different dance environment and loves every minute of it - she performs far less, competes not at all, but is being trained at the level she wanted all along with other kids who share her passion. It might be worthwhile to take DGD out for lunch sometime and explore this with her a little more, to find out what it is she's not enjoying and what she'd rather be doing. No matter what she decides, it sounds like you two have a strong relationship and she'll still share her activities/successes with you. Change is hard -- good thing love endures.  Good luck! <3 

crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
LolaD - I feel you. My DD15 is not dancing and I am sad about it, but it was a decision which was kind of forced on her. However, she is happy.

I just wanted to tell you that I have seen many, many posts on here from dance moms who wish their family cared enough to show up to an event. How blessed your family is that you care and will miss it! You are awesome!
LolaD

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #12 
She got accepted to FSU's summer intensive and I think she is going to that so maybe she will change her mind. She is my only grand so I would never think about not going.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.