Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Go take a look.

I cannot for the life of me get a link to the exact tweet, but here's his page.

https://twitter.com/dizzyfeet

Bet you can guess which tweet I'm questioning. What are your thoughts?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Which tweet? 

This one? The sugar daddy joke? [image]
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Kinda ew, and definitely in bad taste, but he's always come across a bit as a dirty old man.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
That photo made me think grandfather and granddaughter, not even "sugar daddy." It would have to be "sugar grand daddy!" 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I think it's funny.  But hey.. that's me.  I'm not easily offended (not saying anyone here is, just saying I'm not.... and I'll be honest, it bugs the crap out of me that I have to make that clear but I've learned my lesson  lol)
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Yes, that's the one. I can't say I'm offended. It changes my opinion of him. I hadn't read him as dirty old man sense of humor, but I do now. I don't know why this one tweet got under my skin, but it did. I think it reflects really poorly on how I now view how he views young and female dancers.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
Yes, that's the one. I can't say I'm offended. It changes my opinion of him. I hadn't read him as dirty old man sense of humor, but I do now. I don't know why this one tweet got under my skin, but it did. I think it reflects really poorly on how I now view how he views young and female dancers.

With all due respect, I do think that perhaps you are taking it too personally by trying to connect this joke with how he views "young and female dancers".  Dance?  It's just one part of his life.  Not to mention the joke here is specifically about baseball.  IDK   I really do suspect it's just a general joke poking fun at the long standing stereotypical sugar daddy scenario.  And who knows.. there might be some context that you are unaware of (recent joking with friends about Dodgers tickets for example).  It's nice to give people the benefit of the doubt.
peachygreen98

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Isn't that a picture of Len Goodman?  I know it's Nigel's tweet but that isn't him is it?
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I don't know who Len Goodman is?

I respect your opinions, but I'm not keen on giving him the benefit of the doubt. Public personality on a public twitter account, it has changed my opinion of him.

With regards to taking it personally, best I can explain my perspective is that prior to seeing this, had we run into him somewhere I would have been thrilled to meet him. Say at a convention or other dance event. I would have happily sent DD to take a pic with him. Now, no thanks. Too many people in the world that I still fully respect and admire. Now, they may make jokes privately that would also change my opinion of them, but I haven't seen those and that's where I'll place my benefit of the doubt.
PasDeChatMom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen98
Isn't that a picture of Len Goodman?  I know it's Nigel's tweet but that isn't him is it?

I *think* it is Tommy Lasorda, former manager of the Dodgers.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDeChatMom

I *think* it is Tommy Lasorda, former manager of the Dodgers.

If so.. or if there's a strong resemblance... I suppose that's the joke right there.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
It's in bad taste considering what's been in the news lately.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
It's in bad taste considering what's been in the news lately.

Ya think?

Obviously you're entitled to (and I do respect) your opinion but I just don't see it.  Some of what we're hearing in the news is terrible, no doubt, but it doesn't change what is reality. Some men use women, some women use men... and many times what it is is a mutually beneficial relationship where men and women use each other.  That gal in the photo?  She looks very happy to be there [smile]

eta:  but really, for all we know, if it's not LaSorda it could just be a grandfather snuggling with his granddaughter.  Not everyone is skeeved out by skin to skin contact. (eta: not suggesting that I think you are but I expect that someone would say that 'no grandfather/granddaughter would pose like that'.  And truth is, yes, some would.)  

Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I'm going to throw this out there... it's not a personal picture that those of us who find it in questionable taste are attributing our own assumptions... the picture is part of a meme that suggests that, when faced with very high costs of tickets, girls are:.... snuggling up to an older man with a glass of champagne.

There's nothing in the suggested humor that would rest on the fact that this is just an innocent skin to skin moment between a grandfather and his grandchild. The implication is that girls in need of expensive tickets are looking to find sugar daddies. Much as this may be a true statement, to generalize "girls" when you are a person in a position of power in your industry, then to post that publicly, in my opinion, demonstrates a lack of understanding that in light of recent events, this was a poor choice of humor to display on a public forum.

Edited to add, when a public personality who himself is an older man in a position of power surrounded by young women who hope to achieve success, when he posts something like this in my opinion, he is making light of the fact that he is in a position to provide for young women. That is creepy and in current times, extremely short sighted.

In any case, I'm glad he posted it, because he no longer holds my respect the way he once did. He has a lot of knowledge, I respect that. As a person, gross. However, I did not get the creepy old man vibe previous to this (not my best subject "creep meter").

Sexual harassment has, at its crux, an imbalance of power between the harasser and the victim. Sugar Daddy situations have an imbalance of power between the provider and the sugar baby. It's just not that far of a leap between the two in my book, and I really don't believe there's any suggestion of this being an innocent grandfather granddaughter moment when used as it is in a meme.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
I'm going to throw this out there... it's not a personal picture that those of us who find it in questionable taste are attributing our own assumptions... the picture is part of a meme that suggests that, when faced with very high costs of tickets, girls are:.... snuggling up to an older man with a glass of champagne.

There's nothing in the suggested humor that would rest on the fact that this is just an innocent skin to skin moment between a grandfather and his grandchild. The implication is that girls in need of expensive tickets are looking to find sugar daddies. Much as this may be a true statement, to generalize "girls" when you are a person in a position of power in your industry, then to post that publicly, in my opinion, demonstrates a lack of understanding that in light of recent events, this was a poor choice of humor to display on a public forum.

Sexual harassment has, at its crux, an imbalance of power between the harasser and the victim. Sugar Daddy situations have an imbalance of power between the provider and the sugar baby. It's just not that far of a leap between the two in my book.

I do understand exactly what you are saying, Noel.  And I'm not saying that that photo IS just a grandfather/granddaughter... just saying that initially it "could" have been.  Not that that has anything to do with the meme, you're right.  The meme was intended to imply that "some" girls might snuggle up to an older man to get one of those tickets if they were diehard fans and could not afford it on their own.  And I"m just saying that, yes... some most definitely would.  It's not always men taking advantage of young vulnerable girls.  Lots of girls/women know exactly what's what and they are A-ok with it.  And "those" girls/women?  They aren't victims of anything but their own greed/skewed priorities.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I'm splitting hairs, I know, but on my side of this debate, technically the meme doesn't say "some" and for my side of the debate, that generalization, that stereotyping, matters. It matters because of the rest of my side of the debate, that it's a public figure who has a great deal of power, who is also an older man, and his chosen public shared meme generalizes to 'girls' not 'some girls'.

I had to look at the meme just to be sure that my hot headed reaction hadn't overlooked the word some, as I'm sure I've been guilty of doing similar in the past.

I appreciate the back and forth on this, and I do agree that some women know exactly what they are doing when they look for a sugar daddy. I guess I just categorize the entire concept, on both sides, (sugar daddy concept) as, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" daddies or babies.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
I'm splitting hairs, I know, but on my side of this debate, technically the meme doesn't say "some" and for my side of the debate, that generalization, that stereotyping, matters. It matters because of the rest of my side of the debate, that it's a public figure who has a great deal of power, who is also an older man, and his chosen public shared meme generalizes to 'girls' not 'some girls'.

I had to look at the meme just to be sure that my hot headed reaction hadn't overlooked the word some, as I'm sure I've been guilty of doing similar in the past.

I appreciate the back and forth on this, and I do agree that some women know exactly what they are doing when they look for a sugar daddy. I guess I just categorize the entire concept, on both sides, (sugar daddy concept) as, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" daddies or babies.

We can agree to disagree.  I pretty much assume that memes are never intended to be blanket statements.  It kinda takes the fun out of posting memes if you have to spend a whole lot of time trying to clarify exactly what you do and don't mean.  But all's good [smile]
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Yes, all good !
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
As the meme stands, I don't think it's an issue. It's saying the woman is looking for expensive tickets and found a sugar daddy to get them for her.
But as an older man, who does give off a creepy vibe on the show, I don't think it was in his best interest to post it. He has too much influence in young dancers careers.
In light of recent events I think every person in an influential role should be taking a moment to check with themselves that they are not using their position of power to take sexual or even emotional advantage over another.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Well said, Angel 2228, far more eloquent than I could have. Thank you for taking the time to write that.
RebelSwan

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
To put the original photo into perspective, translated from Portugese:

"Senator Tonita Vasconcelos spent the weekend of the worker in Fernando de Noronha with his girlfriend Meyre Abrantes.

At the beginning of the relationship with the Meyre was the cover of the Zipper magazine and some people said that they would not spend much time together, but the couple remained together and happy for over five years."

She is also on the cover of a Playboy (I didn't link but she is in bed somewhat covered with a white sheet - actually tastefully done with red print) Not in English, but both her name and the senator's are on the front cover.

And... really?  Nigel Lythgoe retweeting someone's meme is a character assassination?  I'd do almost anything to get Stanley Cup tickets.  (Well, anything BUT that....)
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Who said character assassination?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.