Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
sarahannexo

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hey parents,

My kiddo has six hairstyles this season. We've had one time out so far and her hair was nasty from product.. flaking, sticky.. even with rewetting, which worked great in years past, but not with this many changes. I'm surprised the amount of alcohol in the products didn't make her hair break off.

Is there any trick to keeping whispies up without using a TON of gel? Is there a product that any of you live by when you have a ton of changes?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
It is called a wig!

Couldn't resist. With that many hair changes, wigs would be easier. Only thing that ever worked for DD was gel and spray
dance010

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
maybe try a hairspray with a more medium hold instead of the highest hold they carry. Try starting off the day with wet hair and then spraying it with the medium hold, tends to work for us when we have a ton of hairstyle changes for recital at our old studio. Also, using bobby pins that are the same color as her hair helps so that you don't have to spray it as much. 

Reading your question makes me incredibly happy that the new studio we are at this year is having the girls wear low ponies for ALL comp dances and low buns for ALL recital dances!! [love] easy for me!!

Wish you the best for luck with those 6 hair changes, happy hair styling!! 
kristenbrown0082

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I'm a hairstylist and dance mom. I use a spray wax by Big Sexy Hair. We have multiple hair style changes too. Slick back low ponytails, high buns for lyrical, high ponytails for HipHop, low pigtails for production, whatever we want for solo and duet... etc... the spray wax doesn't get build up like hairspray and doesn't get sticky or gross from gel and tames the wispy pieces. Also, cheaper hairsprays have higher alcohol content and will dry out the hair, be harder to brush through, and give you the white build up flakes. I use Kenra 25 for hairspray.
fishoutofwater

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenbrown0082
I'm a hairstylist and dance mom. I use a spray wax by Big Sexy Hair. We have multiple hair style changes too. Slick back low ponytails, high buns for lyrical, high ponytails for HipHop, low pigtails for production, whatever we want for solo and duet... etc... the spray wax doesn't get build up like hairspray and doesn't get sticky or gross from gel and tames the wispy pieces. Also, cheaper hairsprays have higher alcohol content and will dry out the hair, be harder to brush through, and give you the white build up flakes. I use Kenra 25 for hairspray.

Can Big Sexy spray wax and this Kerna 25 be bought in stores?  Like Target or Ulta?

sarahannexo

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
It is called a wig!

Couldn't resist. With that many hair changes, wigs would be easier. Only thing that ever worked for DD was gel and spray

Funny thing is one of these dances DOES have fake hair.. but it has to be in pigtails.
sarahannexo

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenbrown0082

This is genius. I'll try spray way. Thank you!!!!
kristenbrown0082

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoutofwater

Can Big Sexy spray wax and this Kerna 25 be bought in stores?  Like Target or Ulta?

Ulta or Beauty Brands should have it! If not try a local salon, they can get it. Neither one is very expensive.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Here are our new finds this year.  Aussie hair products. Not only do they hold amazingly and make the hair super shiny...they brush out amazingly afterward.  I wish we had found this stuff earlier.  I thought we were going to have to go expensive, but this is the best we have ever used.  Only issue is that is does have a weird smell....not horrible but different.

https://www.amazon.com/Aussie-Instant-Freeze-Spray-packaging/dp/B00JJ1XW1A/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1490535538&sr=8-4&keywords=aussie+hairspray

https://www.amazon.com/Aussie-Headstrong-Styling-Mousse/dp/B00JJ3B7YW/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1490535592&sr=8-4&keywords=aussie+mousse

theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
All I can say is WHY?  I mean SIX different styles for every comp?  Not that you have a say of course, but I would think the SO would think about that when choosing hairstyles to go with dances.  Hairstyles do not win, dancing does, but I have seen dances lose points when the hair is messy and has flyaways from quick changes.  And seriously, who needs the stress of those changes?  The dancers perform better when they are calm and not so pressured.  When Moms are pressured to do crazy quick hair changes, often involving pulling on the hair at times, the kids get stressed and cranky.  I would think the SO could have found 2 or 3 styles that would work for the majority of dances to minimize that craziness.  Sorry for the rant, I know it is not what you asked for, but I can't imagine six completely different styles are really necessary.
sarahannexo

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyarg
All I can say is WHY?  I mean SIX different styles for every comp?  Not that you have a say of course, but I would think the SO would think about that when choosing hairstyles to go with dances.  Hairstyles do not win, dancing does, but I have seen dances lose points when the hair is messy and has flyaways from quick changes.  And seriously, who needs the stress of those changes?  The dancers perform better when they are calm and not so pressured.  When Moms are pressured to do crazy quick hair changes, often involving pulling on the hair at times, the kids get stressed and cranky.  I would think the SO could have found 2 or 3 styles that would work for the majority of dances to minimize that craziness.  Sorry for the rant, I know it is not what you asked for, but I can't imagine six completely different styles are really necessary.

Not my job to question the studio owner, just to execute the hair [smile] Honestly it's not a big deal. Not to me anyway. I get how it can be for some, but I love the way it all comes together. The products are stressful though. I have some great advice here, I'm not going to complain about the vision or be dramatic about the need to change the hair.
sarahannexo

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
Here are our new finds this year.  Aussie hair products. Not only do they hold amazingly and make the hair super shiny...they brush out amazingly afterward.  I wish we had found this stuff earlier.  I thought we were going to have to go expensive, but this is the best we have ever used.  Only issue is that is does have a weird smell....not horrible but different.

https://www.amazon.com/Aussie-Instant-Freeze-Spray-packaging/dp/B00JJ1XW1A/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1490535538&sr=8-4&keywords=aussie+hairspray

https://www.amazon.com/Aussie-Headstrong-Styling-Mousse/dp/B00JJ3B7YW/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1490535592&sr=8-4&keywords=aussie+mousse

That's one of the sprays I use :/ I will admit I never considered the mouse though, I use gel. That's smart!
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyarg

Thank you!!!! I'm not sure we have had a year where the hair was easy. This year we have low bun, high pony, high donut bun, mid pony, two French braids to a low bun and a bump with beach waves. I am lucky that my kid can do most herself. But I did hire another dance mom to do two of them, cause she is a hairdresser and I am not.

A bit of hair wax put on with a toothbrush works for wispiness.
emmasissy7

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We used to use KY Jelly - it keeps the wispies down and is totally water soluble. There is no white flakes either. I transferred to a travel size shampoo bottle and no one ever knew.

HTownDanceMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I know this may sound a bit crazy, but with my DD crazy, super curly hair wispies are inevitable so I used organic coconut oil with a fine tooth comb on her hair.  Granted it does not hold long, it does hold long enough and it keeps from drowning her hair with products.
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I always started with a goodly amount of Frizz Ease or similar. Also fairly damp roots. This helped with the wispies yet kept the hair flexible. To keep the spray at a minimum, I would spray it on a cotton ball and dab it on as needed, only after the hairstyle was done. I never used gel or mousse.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

These are all I use and have for many years  I buy the GIANT can of Instant freeze.    When DDs needed a curly pony or 1/2 up 1/2 down I used the sprunch spray too.   
DanceForFun

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I am so glad you asked this question and grateful for all the super advice on this thread! This year DD has four different styles. High pony (flattened) Low pony, low bun with side part, "bed head" (for pirate themed dance) It is going to be a bit of a challenge but am going to definitely give some of these products a go.

Thanks everyone!
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasissy7
We used to use KY Jelly - it keeps the wispies down and is totally water soluble. There is no white flakes either. I transferred to a travel size shampoo bottle and no one ever knew.

I second the KY jelly (which I learned from this forum years ago). Rewet the hair once you take it down from one hair style. I didn't need to reapply very often. No white flakes, and it works very well.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crafty1

I second the KY jelly (which I learned from this forum years ago). Rewet the hair once you take it down from one hair style. I didn't need to reapply very often. No white flakes, and it works very well.

Another vote for KY.  I learned about it here and I know lots of girls that used it and it worked great.
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
So I bought the Aussie instant freeze after reading this post but it left white stuff on DD's hair? Any other products that can hold just as great but without leaving residue?
kristenbrown0082

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama
So I bought the Aussie instant freeze after reading this post but it left white stuff on DD's hair? Any other products that can hold just as great but without leaving residue?

The cheaper hairsprays have a higher alcohol content and will dry the hair out, leave the residue and be difficult to brush through. Plus, the build up on the hair cuticle itself is not good.
My go to is Kenra 25.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: