Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
This could be a very long post, so I'll do my best to simplify. Been with the same SO for 8 years. Lots of little problems turned into bigger problems at the studio. DD 14 developed an amazing relationship with one of the DT's. They design and create costumes together, choreograph together, and teach together. This DT is DD's mentor and if she didn't have such good boundaries, they would be friends. A few years ago we added contemporary to the studio curriculum, and we found a local professional contemporary dancer who has also become a strong mentor to DD. She never experienced competition dance, and dance is all about artistry for her. DD says she wants to dance like her. 

These 2 teachers got tired of our studio, and some of those problems. They are opening up a performing company. Since the one DT is very connected in the community, there will be alot of opportunities to learn pieces from choreographers. If we decide to compete a few dances, then we do. Compete solos? Sure- whenever and wherever we want. The focus is on technique and expression and art-not trophies. DD 14 will help with designing and making costumes. 

Needless to say, it's sad and scary to leave. I thought they would both graduate at this studio. We're leaving lots of good friends (some will come with us), and asking for a 30 minute commute instead of a 5 minute commute. DH was the lead prop dad, general handy man, and IT guy for our studio. I was team manager. We literally helped build this studio. I'm very worried that no matter what we do, it will be difficult to avoid a bad exit- SO is rather emotional about these things, and will most likely not understand our reasons for moving on. Which sucks, because I really like working out at that studio, and I don't want to quit that! 

Money wise, it will probably save a few thousand dollars. DD 14 is definitely looking for a better dance experience. We gave DD 11 the option of staying with her friends, and she is choosing to go with these teachers, too. Decision isn't final yet, but we are 99% of the way there. On to better and brighter, I hope!
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Wow... I think the hardest part is knowing that no matter what it probably won't go over well and the relationship you've built for years with the SO and helping to build the studio is unfortunately going to suffer despite any efforts you make otherwise. It's the nature of the beast. I feel like I could be you and may be you down the road as you describe your family's involvement. Someone once told me that when it's time to move on, you'll know and not to doubt it. Especially at your daughter's' ages - they know what they want and need. Hang in there during this transition!
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Praying you are pleasantly surprised and people act with love rather than scorn. Good luck; it sounds like an incredible opportunity !
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Best of luck to you. I have a feeling you are making a good decision. I get your apprehension with the exit.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmom
Best of luck to you. I have a feeling you are making a good decision. I get your apprehension with the exit.

Since you're local- it's Tara Cacciatore with TU dance who is starting the company.[smile] IDK if you know TU, but they are amazing! Tara has danced for them for about 5 years now. 
Granny

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
This is a common experience at the teen level in any studio. My own experience is that of a mother of a violin student and really it's all the same. The teacher develops a pride in the student she has developed over the years. And the relationship is a good one. But the time comes, especially when kids hit adolescence and often have a voice and if they are serious, no longer just want to be with friends and have fun. They want to develop their art. And as tough as it is all 'round, the break often needs to happen. Some teachers take it well realizing the change is best for the student...but others are more focussed on their reputation. Who wants to lose a promising student who represents his or her studio, after all? 
As Shakespeare wrote rather dramatically: 'There is a tide in the affairs of men, Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat. And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures.'  
Good luck! 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.