Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 

So we are three months into the dance season and choreography is almost finished on my DD9’s groups. I can honestly say that I flat out hate one routine, have concerns about another routine (more a safety aspect), love two others and am ambivalent about the production routine they are doing. She’s doing a ballet solo for the first time this year which is now finished and I love that too. 

For the routine that I hate all the parents of the dancers in the group hate the routine – its a jazz group. We actually had a discussion with the SO and DT a few weeks ago about it, expressing our views (did not go well [frown]) – it’s a fun song but the lyrics speak of calling someone a liar and not a friend and the choreo could have been done well to spin it more positively but the way the choreo has been done it’s turned into a bullyfest (one dancer is the target so to speak and is repeatedly pushed, dragged, kicked during the dance). Age range is 7-10 and the 9 & 10 year olds hate the dance, the younger ones don’t get it. We love this DT, she does amazing stuff with the older kids groups and with the younger ones with their solos/duos and she’s incredibly kind to all the kids; but this is the 2nd year in a row that this particular group dance has been awful and we all know that it will do terrible at comps, last year’s did, it's a hot mess. The routine I have concerns about, there is a prop used and my DD and another dancer have to climb on top of it and dance on it in tap shoes. My DH is building the prop and it’s mostly done but still makes me nervous. They have their first “tech rehearsal” in January to run the dances in front of all the DTs and the SO and I guess we’ll see what comes out of that. 

So how is everyone else’s dances for this season coming along? Love them or hate them?

momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Solo is almost done but her teacher may want to do a different genre with her so it may get tossed [frown] Her other routine, I have no clue. I hope they are coming along but they won't compet until middle of March anyway, February may be optional is a few groups are ready, so I'm not worried. 
dancelivelovelaugh

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I was a bit speechless after reading OP and her description of her daughter's jazz group dance.  I personally think that age group should have something fun and sassy for jazz.  That's IMHO.

As for choreo for my DD this year.  I love her two solos, her duo.  They just started production and I usually love production numbers and this one looks very promising, in terms of entertainment along with technique.  All of my DD's group numbers, large and small are good, from what I can see so far. I really do love her group and their chemistry on stage is amazing.  

I feel for you and hope that you and the parents who share your feelings about choreography can somehow influence a change.  Hope something can happen so that the dancers performing this group dance are happier about it.  Nothing disappoints me more than kids being unhappy about a dance, despite the choreographer's "vision."  When dancers are professionals, they have to deal but at your DD's age group for a competition, I think the choreographer should factor in their young age.

Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
All finished for the year for us. Today is officially the last day of the school year, tomorrow is officially the last day of the dance year and then it is Summer vacation,
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
It's so interesting to me how different dance studios are.  I can never get over it.  My DD is working on 12 group dances and I have not seen any of them.  Parents will not see them until they are on stage at our first competition/convention in mid-January.  Nor would parents ever be allowed/invited to give feedback to SO or DT on any of the dances.  The build up and excitement of seeing the dances for the first time is almost more than I can handle, I can't wait to see the dances.  Our studio is going for "Studio of The Year" at The Dance Awards, so there is a lot of pressure this year for the dances to be more than amazing.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD15's 2 solos are finished.  Love both the songs and the choreo.  Can't wait until everything is clean and put together.

She has 3 other dances that won't start choreo until after the New Year.  They are doing Christmas choreo right now.

Since the studio is too small for a SR team, DD is doing 1 trio, 1 duet and a featured part in the musical theater piece along with her 2 solos. 
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
DD(7) is half way done with group routines. Her trio and solo are a bit further but need lots of cleaning. I love them all 😍. We haven’t seen the acro routine since October but I love the song. All her dances are fun and sassy and age appropriate. Her lyrical solo is so pretty and graceful without any tricks. All in all I’m very happy. And the extended line is amazing. They have actually included 4 of the juniors with the inters (my dd included) and They are doing a great job!!
sarahannexo

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
All groups and solo are done, just cleaning now.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjrm4
It's so interesting to me how different dance studios are.  I can never get over it.  My DD is working on 12 group dances and I have not seen any of them.  Parents will not see them until they are on stage at our first competition/convention in mid-January.  Nor would parents ever be allowed/invited to give feedback to SO or DT on any of the dances.  The build up and excitement of seeing the dances for the first time is almost more than I can handle, I can't wait to see the dances.  Our studio is going for "Studio of The Year" at The Dance Awards, so there is a lot of pressure this year for the dances to be more than amazing.

This is exactly how DD's studio was.  Our first view of each dance as parents was the first time the dance hit the floor at the first competition.  And never, ever, ever were we encouraged or even asked about feedback on a number!  I always loved waiting to see the dances.  The excitement was contagious among the parents.  

I really miss that part of competition; all that excitement was really fun.  It's bittersweet when they graduate and move on.
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We have video monitors in our lobby and of course they run the dances right up to the end of choreo class time so whoever is in the lobby waiting can see on the monitor what's going on in the various studios. Blessing and a curse. I'm generally not there until I come in to get my DD so my first view is usually at the tech rehearsal they have in the new year when I can watch the completed dance on the monitor. Feedback on the choreo to the SO and DTs is not welcome at our studio either but an incident happened during the jazz dance choreo in question that was innocent but one of the younger dancers being young thought it was funny and turned it into locker room talk. We were called in to watch the number and asked to express our views - I don't think the SO and DT were expecting what they got by way of our answers. I'm trying not to let this particular number sour our season. The dancer who is the "target" in the dance hates the choreo and is unhappy but loves the DT so is sucking it up for the sake of keeping a relationship with the DT, not souring it over one crappy dance. We're hoping for better things next season!

I'm really excited for our competitive showcase in late February to see how everything has come together for all the solos/duos/trios and groups. This is only our third season in comp dance but I just love seeing all the routines on stage.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
All of our choreo is done (most was done by August by outside choreographers when they were here for Master classes), They practice them every Sunday during company rehearsals.  This past Sunday was their dress rehearsal and company showcase so we got to see everything.
I like all three of her group dances, one costume just doesn't fit the dance to me and one other is just blah and needs a little more.  The number with the whole company is just ok, the girls honestly seemed bored.  Its spice girls themed and I wonder if they just aren't connecting to the music.  Either that or the long exhausting weekend just got to them by the end of the night Sunday night.  Our first comp isn't until Jan 12th so there is time for more cleaning and perfecting.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Haven’t seen any of the dances and won’t until the dress rehearsals in February. I know two of her dances are almost done because her DT just got married and had a honeymoon so really tried to get at much done as possible before that. Her other dances are about half done. Production is a bit of a mess (according to DD), but that’s pretty typical for this time of year. Takes a while for all of those pieces to fall into place.

DDs solo is also only about 1/2 done, because of the DTs wedding and my DD was not able to start it until the end of October. (Long story!)
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Dd has had her share of awful costumes and choreo. (For the most part it's costuming) it drives me nuts because costumes aren't cheap. And to see my kid onstage in the most hideous costume that I paid for makes me cranky!!
I have pulled her from routines(before choreo) because the teacher has bad taste.
This year she doesn't like her jazz choreo, she's blah about the lyrical, likes her contemp, ballet and pointe. She loves her lyrical solo, contemp solo, duet and her jazz line, but isn't a fan of her lyrical line.
Nothing's open for discussion, but after last years crap show, I think I honestly would pull her before comp if it looks like a repeat.
performancemom2003

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We just finished our Christmas performances this last weekend. They're only learned one of their spring (comp) dances, it's a production with the younger girls and it's car themed (Life is a Highway and Route 66). It's fairly simple but it's clean and cute and I like it. 

The only dance that's carrying over to the comp season is a lyrical they did, which my DD loves but I find a bit boring (don't tell her! lol), and they will learn a jazz and hip hop the first week back in February.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
We haven't started any of the dance yet, most likely won't happen after the new year. The only thing I miss about our old studio is that they had viewing windows where I used to watch every single minute of the classes so I was always familiar with the dance from the beginning. With the new studio, parents only get to see the dances at stage rehearsal which is right before the first competition in April.
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
My DD's group dance is almost done - they have about 20 more seconds to complete.
My DD's solo has been complete since October but we keep adding things in

We go to one dance school where we are not allowed to see in.  Drives me crazy!
jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
DD and DS's group choreo is done. It's a very cute, age-approriate routine. Our studio is conservative, so I never worry that there are themes that are inappropriate. As the groups are practicing, oftentimes the door is left open, so we can see snippets of the routine as it unfolds. For the little ones, parents are actually asked at intervals to video certain parts or has one of the dancers do a demo, so that this can be practiced at home. 

However, the whole routine, cleaned, etc...we don't get to see that until the first competition. 

My son's solo choreo is almost done (maybe an 8 count or two left), and my daughter's is finished. The dancers are encouraged to run their solos at home, so I've already seen their solos many, many times. I love them both, and more importantly, my kids love them. 
alingading

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Choreography for my DD's comp dances (groups and solos) don't start until the week after Christmas. We have our first comp the second week of February so not a lot of time to learn and clean. There is one exception this year... she will be learning a group dance next weekend because the studio is having a guest choreographer come in and that's when he's available. I told my DD it's gonna be like on Dance Moms... They will learn it in one evening and have 2 partial days to clean it. But, it's an honor to be selected to be in a group dance choreographed by him so my DD is all for it.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #19 
First studio they would leave the doors open quite often and didn't mind if the parents stood and watched as long as we were quiet.  Sometimes at the end of class they would ask us in the watch so the kids could do it with an audience but they were also young 4-8 years olds.  We never saw the completed with costume until they did their pre comp showcase.

Second studio doors were always closed.  Parents were not invited in at all.  First time we would see the dances was the pre comp showcase.

I liked seeing the dances as they evolved but it was exciting to wait until the end and just see the finished product.
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I really like DDs comp dances this year. Her ballet dance is great with beautiful elegant costumes, jazz is fun, sassy and high energy with a fun theme (her team is in the mini division), she loves her tap large group, and her tap small group has a lot of potential to do well, the girls get along really well, it's a really cute dance with fun and tough choreography. Her tap teacher pushes them to learn new things. All her costumes are really cute and unique this year. so far we've lucked out on avoiding really bad costumes. Some have been "meh, nothing special", but I'm loving this year's costumes and routines, and I'm excited to see how they do!
Mama2aHappyDancer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
3/4 dances are in cleaning or almost finished. 4th will start choreo next week. DD practices at home and they seem to be cute and age appropriate from what I can tell. 
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
My DD finished choreo on her solo this past week. I really love it and she does too. It will be challenging for her in all the right ways and can’t wait to see her perform! However she hasn’t gotten her costume yet but her DT showed it to us and we will have to see what it looks like on. It is pale gold and my DD is very fair so I am afraid it will wash her out.
Her duo is only about a minute complete but I think it is one of the best routines I have seen choreo wise come outta our studio, fingers crossed!
I haven’t seen production, either Hip hip line, or Contemporary line yet..... but hip hop and production always leave me nervous because of the past costume choices so I am purposely staying away to reserve judgment! Lol
Both jazz lines are good, and I am hoping the costumes are too... last year her jazz line costume was a fiasco and I hope they do better this year.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Groups have been done for a while. Most have already been on stage. I have a clear favorite this year, so I’m excited to to see how it does. My daughter’s solo just finished this week. I have not seen it - I’m not sure she has done it- start to finish. So she has some work to do. She competes it in one month!

ETA. Other than her solo costume, the rest are really bad. If costumes matter very much, they are sunk before they dance.
angelashunter

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #24 
DD's small group is close to finishing and we are pretty excited about it! Large group has barely begun. Nervous about this one because it is a full range of ages and experience - from 7-18 and new to competition all the way to competing for 8+ years. We will see about that one. ...Duet will begin next week. Our first comp is the last weekend in February so we still have plenty of polishing time. No solo this year!!
dancingymnast

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 
DD is in only one dance this year. I think the choreography is about half way done. I don’t know for sure, since I haven’t seen any of it, and it’s very hard to get any information out of DD. Lol
We have an informal mid-year recital in January. They said if the dance is ready by then, they’ll show it to us.
I’m very excited to see it. The dance have a deep dark theme. The girls’ ages are 12 to 16, I hope they can pull it off.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.