Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Texasdancemomx2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So, this fall our schedule has us at the studio four days a week between both girls. I'm trying to figure out what are good power snacks for after school that travel well (they go straight to the studio with our babysitter afterschool). Complicating matters is that the girls have totally burned out on snack bars/granola bars.

help?
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Nuts(if not allergic)
PB and crackers or pretzels
Humus(if they like it) with veggies, crackers or pretzel chips
Cheese and crackers
Fruit
Veggies
Cut up chicken
Hard boiled eggs
Sun flower or pumpkin seeds
Yogurt
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Dd had a rolfer/nutritionist who was trying to get her to fit more snacks in that had healthy fats. He wanted us to make homemade chicken broth with some fresh ginger in it and have her take it in a thermos to si on during the day.  He also recommended Tonka bars...apparently lots of protein in them.  PB has a tendency to have a lot of natural mold in it.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
DD has really acquired a passion for roll ups/wrap, and almost anything put into a roll up/wrap.  She especially loves peanut butter rolled around a banana, cream cheese and sliced strawberries in a roll up, and sliced grilled chicken breast with cheese in a roll up.  

I asked her what her new thing is with roll ups, she said they are delicious and just so easy to eat.  Your options can be endless here and some of the wraps available today are super healthy.  Slice them in half if they're too large or cut them smaller to make little bites they could just grab and eat.
Sprmom2679

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We do some freeze dried stuff with protein like edamame and then something with juicy substance like an orange or carrots. Sometimes we will do nuts too. Seems to keep her energy up on long dance days that start right after school.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
Dd had a rolfer/nutritionist who was trying to get her to fit more snacks in that had healthy fats. He wanted us to make homemade chicken broth with some fresh ginger in it and have her take it in a thermos to si on during the day.  He also recommended Tonka bars...apparently lots of protein in them.  PB has a tendency to have a lot of natural mold in it.

Did you try the Tanka bars? If so were they good?
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDeChatMom
Did you try the Tanka bars? If so were they good?

We did none of the stuff that he wanted us to do.  We were bad.  I might try the chicken broth this fall. I have had trouble finding the bars.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Chicken breast, rolled up lunchmeat, almonds, yogurt - she likes to take vanilla yogurt and add her own granola for on top
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I second the roll ups or wraps. She loves deli pepperoni, cheese and crackers (think lunch able type), fruit of any kind and smoothies. Thankfully even though her dance dance days are long (2 of her 3 are 5 hours) she gets a 45 minute break pretty much right in the middle that she can eat dinner and study/do homework).
My daughter is allergic to nuts so we have a harder time with quick proteins and most protein bars are out.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Dd14s favorite thing these days Are hunters sausages. They are like a salami stick. I get them at Costco or at our local delis cold cut counter. Dd pairs it with a string cheese.

Not all kids like it, but cottage cheese cup with cut fruit.

These are kind of granola like, but I make and freeze wonderballs. Very high protein and handy to grab and pop in your mouth. Google for recipes, there are many out there. Usually a mix of pb, oats, wheat germ, raisins, mini chocolate chips, honey.

I'll third roll ups too. Must be the in thing! [smile]
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
DD has a dairy allergy so my go-to of yogurt or cheese is out for her.  She loves hummus and pretzels.  Healthy homemade muffins with lots of flax, bran etc with almond butter is also great if you don't have to worry about nut allergies. 
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

We did none of the stuff that he wanted us to do.  We were bad.  I might try the chicken broth this fall. I have had trouble finding the bars.

I saw them on Amazon but I would like to try to find them locally so I can buy one vs. a dozen.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappingfeet
DD has a dairy allergy so my go-to of yogurt or cheese is out for her.  She loves hummus and pretzels.  Healthy homemade muffins with lots of flax, bran etc with almond butter is also great if you don't have to worry about nut allergies. 

So Delicious makes a good coconut milk yogurt.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappingfeet

As Pasdechat mentioned, SO makes coconut milk yogurt and there is another called Almond Dream made from almond milk. SO also makes ice cream from coconut milk and cashew milk which is delish!
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
My daughter brings a fruit parfait; vanilla yogurt, fruit and some granola she adds in. We also make energy bites; rolled oats, almond butter, honey, flax, chia, dark chocolate chips and coconut.
Thedancemum1

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #16 
My 12 year old has 4 hours straight on a friday - she has a banana about half an hour before hand and then that is it (she has no breaks inbetween) then she eats afterwards. Eating too much beforehand or during makes her feel ill.
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
As Pasdechat mentioned, SO makes coconut milk yogurt and there is another called Almond Dream made from almond milk. SO also makes ice cream from coconut milk and cashew milk which is delish!

DD loves coconut milk ice-cream but she hasn't tried the yogurt.  I will have to put that on my shopping list and give it a try!
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Dd10 has 4 hour gym practices and it is intense. She's very small without a lot of energy stores. I have her eat something substantial right before going. Current favorite is a cold pasta salad. Noodle of choice, a little evoo, and chunks of fresh mozzerella, tomato, basil. Topped with shredded parm. It gives her energy and had staying power. The gym is nut free but they don't have time to eat there anyways.

Dd12 is used to long hours at ballet. She always has food in her bag--usually bars, nuts, Skinny Pop, or fruit. On days she goes straight to dance after school, she eats two dinners. A sandwich and fruit or something similarly substantial before and then whatever we have for dinner after.
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
My DD12 (13 in a week!!) loves a baked potato as an after school snack. If I don't have time to bake it myself, we drive thru and get one from Arby's or Wendy's. Lol. Other favs are gaucamole and pita bread, chicken skewers, Greek salad, home made muffins, cheese and crackers.
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Thanks for the tips everyone.  My DD will be spending longer hours at the studio this season and will have to eat supper there two nights during the week.  I won't be able to send anything peanut butter or nutella related which she loves.  Luckily she loves cheese strings and deli ham and wraps so it might be a lot of those things.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: