Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So I've been waiting patiently for January 20th to roll around so I can order the medium Dream Duffel since their website has been saying 'Available January 20th' for the last month. Only to discover that 'available January 20th' really means 'available for 3 hours on January 20th'. Now they aren't available until February 3rd which is cutting it too close to our first competition. I checked the dimensions and the small is 4 inches shorter and 1 inches less wide, which doesn't seem like a ton of space. So I said screw it and ordered the small. I only have 1 dancer and this year she is in 8 routines which is PLENTY. I have 2 younger DD's too but the middle one has no interest in dance and baby is 2 so even if she does dance it is a couple of years away.

here is my question - I know that a couple of you have the small or carry on dream duffel but then you use a rolling make up case with it. Which one do you use? Any other ides for space?

Her costumes aren't particularly fluffy. She has no tutus so I am thinking the small will be plenty big. If I remember correctly Heidi said she fit 10 costumes in the carry on? 

REally what I'm hoping people say is that I didn't completely screw myself since I already hit the buy button.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I think you will be fine. I went through the same stress when I hit the buy button for our small. Then it arrived and it is HUGE. A medium would be way too big for my one dancer. With that said I don't pack a cooler full of food for comps. Just snacks and such, which will fit easily with 6-7 costumes, sweats, shoes, and a small makeup case. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes, I'm one of the ones w/the carry on dream duffel & we've had as many as 10 costumes in there w/no problem, in addition to non-bulky shoes & a hanging fold up organizer for accessories. The key, I think, was that we didn't bother w/the garment bags.  And dd only had one costume which had some bulk to it. We then used a 3 tier rolling train case for make up & food.  Are you wondering about which train case we used?  There are plenty of options (including different sizes) on Amazon but this is the one we bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Train-Cosmetic-Makeup-Drawer/dp/B00F55300W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421808428&sr=8-2&keywords=pink+rolling+makeup+train+case&pebp=1421808439307&peasin=B00F55300W

Obviously everyone has their own preference but I never once wished we were able to use a larger one even if it meant we could've put everything in one.  She always pulled one, I always pulled the other.  And they were small enough that they were easy to store, & lift, not to mention easy to find a place for at the venues.  Some of those things take up a tremendous amount of space.  And some of those venues don't have a lot to spare.
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I was thinking about the garment bag thing - what is the point of having a garment bag if the bags are stored inside a bag? It seems like a bit of overkill to me.

Thank you for that link. I found one similar but it wasn't 3 tier. The bottom being nothing but a box threw me for a loop. I didn't consider using it for food or shoes. I'm not a creative person so my first thought was 'why do I need a garbage can?'
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtchic
I was thinking about the garment bag thing - what is the point of having a garment bag if the bags are stored inside a bag? It seems like a bit of overkill to me.

Thank you for that link. I found one similar but it wasn't 3 tier. The bottom being nothing but a box threw me for a loop. I didn't consider using it for food or shoes. I'm not a creative person so my first thought was 'why do I need a garbage can?'

I think some people just like being super organized so they like to put everything together in each bag.  For me it was never an issue having things separate.  As long as she had them and she knew where to find them, she had no problem.

And as far as the "garbage can"? LOL  That "garbage can" ended up being very useful. Food & drinks [cleverly hidden when necessary [wink]], sneakers, hats...  You could even put in things to pass the time.  The possibilities are endless.

Have a great season!
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I also have a small and have fit 9 costumes, plus shoes, extra tights, snacks, water bottles (in the insulated pocket), makeup, hair stuff, etc. You will be fine with the small.
dancer1234

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I think you will be fine with a small and probably be thanking yourself later.   We have a small and have had 11 costumes in it, plus shoes, plus cadoodle, plus snacks (sometimes a small cooler), plus hair and changes of street clothes.    One of my DD friend's had a carry on and they fit 9 costumes and makeup case, extra clothes.        My big complaint with the Dream Duffel is I have not place to store it.  We don't have a basement and it is too big to fit in our closets and I don't want to take up space in my walk in.   

I agree.. the trick is not to have a bunch of individual garment bags.  I try to put them all into one larger garment bag to protect them inside the dream duffel.
twinmommytx

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We had a lot of moms trying to get a  medium and word is that they sold out in 10 minutes.  I'm sure you'll be fine with a small.  
brightblue

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
DD received a medium for Christmas, and I was fairly shocked at how large it is. Were I to do it over again I would get a small. 

Sidenote, it was her Santa gift (she is 8 and still believes), and she and her twin brother have been commenting on how amazing it is that the elves can make a Dream Duffel. 
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
"As they get older, the costumes get smaller".

Painful to hear, but true.  DD's most in one season was 12 routines when she was 11 (ballet was in a tutu bag so 11 in the duffle).  No problem at all.  But pull them out once you arrive to avoid wrinkles.  We've always just used a hanging makeup kit too, and it folds up into the duffle no problem (we're a rac 'n roll but same thing).  

I'm looking at her costumes as they come in this season and I'm not even sure I'm going to need a small ....maybe just a handbag?  A clutch?  OMG .....

gingerbrown12872

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
We have a small DD.  I have fit 10 costumes (leotard style for 6-10 year olds, but each in a short DD garment bag) + a full skirted (not quite a tutu) costume in a gusseted garment bag along with a caboodle, small DD hanging cosmetic bag and multiple pairs of jazz & tap shoes in it with no issue.  We have a couple pairs of sisters who share small DDs and they are fine.  I really think a small is plenty big enough for most people. [smile]
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you all for your input! 

I don't understand why they have such a low inventory at such a high demand time. As a business consultant it makes me cringe knowing how much money they are losing!
twinmommytx

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightblue
DD received a medium for Christmas, and I was fairly shocked at how large it is. Were I to do it over again I would get a small. 

Sidenote, it was her Santa gift (she is 8 and still believes), and she and her twin brother have been commenting on how amazing it is that the elves can make a Dream Duffel. 

Mine got hers from Santa a couple of years ago and she still believes.  I asked her recently if she wishes hers was plain black instead of the blue animal print she got.  She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Mommy!  Santa knew that this was the one I had in my mind."  I found that hilarious because "Santa" got the only medium factory second that was available  in December of that year.  [smile]
reluctantdancemom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I wish I had never bought my DD.  It was expensive and I don't find it that convenient. It also takes up a ton of space and our dog always manages to walk by and get his hair on it right as we're leaving for a competition.  I especially feel foolish when I see another girl on our team carry her costumes in a clear plastic tub.  It's so much easier for her to find what she needs since she can look through the sides and it's not dark inside.  Luckily, someone at our studio wants to buy mine.  I think a 10 dollar tub will work great for my kids.
2girls

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 

I love my small and can't believe I went so long without it. My DD14 has six routines this year plus two older girls with two costumes hang theirs on our small. I use one of the larger, clear garment bags dream duffel sells ( I think it says they fit 3 costumes- I fit 6!). I put little stuff like foot paws, jazz shoes, specal bras, booty shorts, etc in the garment bags pockets. When I get to the competition I hang each costume in competition order and hang bra or shorts that go with the outfit around the individual costume hanger.I use a hanging makeup case that I hang on the end. I have a small, clear, rectangular plastic tub I put hairspray, brush, comb, spray bottle, double stick tape, etc (same size as makeup case when folded). The plastic case and makeup case sit on the bottom of the dream duffel, costumes next and tuck extra stuff around the sides. Cold stuff goes in outside pocket. Snacks go in a separate tote that also fits inside. When she is done dancing she puts finished costume inside the Dream Duffel and we hang it back up when there is time. So we don't ever hunt in the bottom.

Another mom has two girls and a medium. She puts each costume in a ziploc bag then hangs them when we get there. We put our costumes in plastic (garment bag for me, ziploc for other DM) to protect them from food and/or water bottles in the bag.

Hope this helps.
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Pardon the threadjack --

Sometimes our costumes are made of that fabric that isn't exactly sequined, but has those tiny sequin-looking appliques all over it -- do you know what I mean?  Any time I put those costumes next to anything similar, the sequins or appliques get caught on each other and I have to carefully separate them.  That would be one reason to use a separate garment bag for a costume.
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
We have a small and so far fit 11 costumes (poofy skirts included). Hair accessories are in a small clear tackle box I bought at Walmart and make-up is in a regular make-up bag.....although I'm thinking of getting another little box for that too so I can find things more easily. Love the small and it's plenty big enough!
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Got my tracking number! Eta - January 30th!
Hannahbugsmom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I got my daughter a small during the Black Friday sale and love it. We have a large that we have had for 4 years and honestly it is just too big. I figure we can use it for recital only and the small for competition. I ended up getting a rolling train case to take with us and I love that too!. I ended up with this one...but I got it on Ebay. It was an adjustment going from the large to the small but it is much easier to transport. Basically the only thing I put in the duffel is costumes, a Thirty-One medium utility tote for all the costume pieces to go in during quick changes, a blanket and my handheld steamer. 

http://www.amazon.com/Songmics-Aluminium-Cosmetic-Organizer-UJHZ01B/dp/B00R5BV3PS/ref=sr_1_49?ie=UTF8&qid=1422545379&sr=8-49&keywords=songmics
emcandance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpierremom
Pardon the threadjack --

Sometimes our costumes are made of that fabric that isn't exactly sequined, but has those tiny sequin-looking appliques all over it -- do you know what I mean?  Any time I put those costumes next to anything similar, the sequins or appliques get caught on each other and I have to carefully separate them.  That would be one reason to use a separate garment bag for a costume.

That's why I put some of the "like" costumes in a bag together with the "messy ones" all by themselves.
We have a med DD because my husband works a few miles from factory and when the seconds rolled out for $10 more we up sized.
I you call, they usually will tell you when the next seconds come out and grab one of those. The flaw was a black line by the handle that you couldn't find even when your looking.
OurLittleDancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
We have a small and I can fit 8 costumes in there with room to spare.  I think you will be pleased!  [smile]

MelanieR

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Hi All!

I bought my daughter a Small Dream Duffel and we used it for one competition.  It surely is better than hauling four different small bags with garment bags.  :-)

My question is for those who own and use the small dream duffel and use garment bags:
Can any of you Please post a photo showing how the garment bags LOOK inside the dream duffel. I have done so many searches and can not find a good photo to show me what it should look like. I bought a short gusseted bag for my daughter's costume and it seems that the bag won't fit in order to "hang" from those inside "D" rings like it suppose to.  Curious...shouldn't it fit that way?  I assume I have to "fold" the garment bags to fit them in?  Sorry for the questions...I just don't understand how I am suppose to put them in and do not want to ruin her costumes.  Maybe I am too paranoid. LOL

Photos would help me a ton.  Or describe what I am doing wrong. 

Have a great day Dance Moms!
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
I have a small duffle. I fold the DD garment bags in half (short ones) or 1/3 (long ones) and put them like how you put a slice of bread in a toaster. Parallel to the hanging bar. I can pull any costume out without dumping everything out of the bag. I never used D rings. 

I've had 10 costumes for DD12, but carry 8 DD garment bag max. I always have 1-2 bags that have 2 costumes and accessories. Because it's easier to have quick change stuff together. There's some room on top of all the garment bags. I put the hair bag and a big roll-out makeup bag. Tap shoes and HH sneakers also stay in the bag. 

I DO NOT hang all 10 costumes on the rack. Usually hang first half or dances that are scheduled close. When we are done with those and have some time to clean up/pack, I switch with the other half. HTH!
MelanieR

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer

My dd doesn't even use the D rings. Just fold the garment bag in half. She goes from side to side vs top to bottom. Since she is past the age of costumes with a lot sparkles she puts 2-4 costumes in a garment bag. If she even uses the garment bags that is.

Thank you SO much for the information and reply!  My apologies! I am just now seeing this. I need to set up my account to send me messages.  :-)  Awesome information!!
MelanieR

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dornot2d
I have a small duffle. I fold the DD garment bags in half (short ones) or 1/3 (long ones) and put them like how you put a slice of bread in a toaster. Parallel to the hanging bar. I can pull any costume out without dumping everything out of the bag. I never used D rings. 

I've had 10 costumes for DD12, but carry 8 DD garment bag max. I always have 1-2 bags that have 2 costumes and accessories. Because it's easier to have quick change stuff together. There's some room on top of all the garment bags. I put the hair bag and a big roll-out makeup bag. Tap shoes and HH sneakers also stay in the bag. 

I DO NOT hang all 10 costumes on the rack. Usually hang first half or dances that are scheduled close. When we are done with those and have some time to clean up/pack, I switch with the other half. HTH!

Thank you so much for this information and explaining how you pack your DD.  This is great information!  I needed to hear these replies and feel so much better on what to do..especially with next season ...my girl may need to put four costumes in it!  Phew! Thank you all!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.