Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
MamaOf2

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm not sure where these questions belong, but this seems the best fit.  [smile]  I have a soon-to-be 12 year old.  I've been searching through reviews, top ten lists, and am very overwhelmed! She's my oldest and am lost![confused]

I'm looking for a daily facial cleanser and moisturizer for her.  She has been using Olay cleansing cloths (you add water) and will occasionally use my moisturizer when needed.  Honestly, the Olay cloths are what I had on hand and they are easy for her to use.  I'd like to get her a "kit" of her own.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I have also been asked several times about shaving.  She's becoming self-conscious about it as "all" of her friends have hairless legs.  There are creams/lotions, electric razors, and traditional razors.  Which specifically does your young one use?  

I appreciate your help!
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Both my dd and I use a Venus brand razor and we like it. She seems to be old enough to shave. Once you teach her it should be pretty easy. My dd started shaving her lower legs and knees. She still doesn't shave her thighs often. Does your daughter have any skin concerns? What type of skin does she have a oily? dry? I can pass on the names of some products my daughter has liked if you give a little description.
beccaggie

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My dermatologist suggested that I buy Purpose face wash for my DD to use. It is gentle and doesn't have soap. It's great for younger skin.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Funny - I was going to suggest the Purpose lotion. Maybe you have a good first try available from the drugstore and inexpensive.
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Purpose is a good one I have to agree! We also like Neutrogena and Thayer's witch hazel with rose for toner.
For shaving my two daughters and I use the Intuition razor and cartridge refills. There is no need for shaving cream with it often leaving nasty rust rings on your tub! It is dang near impossible to cut yourself with them and the cartridge is surrounded my a block of moisturizer. Can't rave about them enough!
MamaOf2

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
Both my dd and I use a Venus brand razor and we like it. She seems to be old enough to shave. Once you teach her it should be pretty easy. My dd started shaving her lower legs and knees. She still doesn't shave her thighs often. Does your daughter have any skin concerns? What type of skin does she have a oily? dry? I can pass on the names of some products my daughter has liked if you give a little description.

She doesn't have any skin concerns, but would like something gentle.  We live in the midwest and have the extreme seasons.  Everything seems to dry out with our winters, including our skin.  This summer with the high humidity, I notice she has an active T zone (nothing alarming though).  With all the changes she's going through, she notices her skin changes more.
MamaOf2

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkerbelle
Purpose is a good one I have to agree! We also like Neutrogena and Thayer's witch hazel with rose for toner. For shaving my two daughters and I use the Intuition razor and cartridge refills. There is no need for shaving cream with it often leaving nasty rust rings on your tub! It is dang near impossible to cut yourself with them and the cartridge is surrounded my a block of moisturizer. Can't rave about them enough!

My conditioner to shampoo ratio was out of control years ago.  I read about using conditioner instead of shaving cream.  Gave it a try and never looked back!  
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My daughter is happiest with Purpose - they have a wash and a bar cleanser - either should work.  I think the bar is less drying (especially for winter) and a dual purpose lotion.  The lotion is by far my daughter's favorite lotion.  She has sensitive skin with some acne, and this doesn't not make her oily and it prevents flaking.  It has a light SPF in it too which is nice.

The other brand her dermatologist recommended was Cetaphil.

Both brands are inexpensive, so it would be easy to try them out.  If you wanted to try something more expensive, Murad has nice trial kits so you could let her sample a regimen.  My daughter and her friends like Murad cleanser from their acne line (blue package).  I use it too even though I don't have blemishes - but it has a little salicylic acid in it which helps fight wrinkles too.

In the end my daughter - also midwest with sensitive skin that can dry out in winter has settled on Murad cleanser and Purpose lotion.  

tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We all (me and 2 teenage girls) use venus razors. Always with 5 blades. I don't use shaving cream (just soap!) but both of my girls use the EOS brand. My youngest daughter is under the care of a dermatologist and she recommends CeraVe products. Check and see which line could work. We also have Neutrogena Alcohol free toner. Both girls carry facial wipes in their bags, too. (those we get at Marshall's for $3.99 for 60)

good luck!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkerbelle
Purpose is a good one I have to agree! We also like Neutrogena and Thayer's witch hazel with rose for toner. For shaving my two daughters and I use the Intuition razor and cartridge refills. There is no need for shaving cream with it often leaving nasty rust rings on your tub! It is dang near impossible to cut yourself with them and the cartridge is surrounded my a block of moisturizer. Can't rave about them enough!

I can't say enough about the Intuition razors.  They are amazing.  I haven't cut myself at all since I started using them almost 20 years ago when they first came out and no need for shaving cream.
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
DD likes to use the Avon Pore Penetrating gel cleanser and face scrub! She uses the scrub every 3-4 days(you aren't supposed to use it more than twice a week) and she uses the gel cleanser every night. She uses the gel cleanser after she has rinsed off the face scrub on those designated days. She usually leaves the scrub on for about 15 minutes. It may burn slightly for the first minute or so, then it just feels cold.

DD prefers to use the Venus razors as well! She often shaves with shampoo, but I prefer to use shaving cream, so whenever I remember to buy some she uses that.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Cetaphil is fantastic.  It's very gentle.  My daughter uses Simple Facial Wipes to take off her makeup and when she doesn't want to bother with water.

The intuition razors are a very good starter razor (my daughter had to start with her armpits fairly young) but aren't great if you have thick hair or if you shave sporadically.  PLEASE teach your kids to shave with shaving cream or gel (unless they're using the intuition razor).  It's much better at preventing nicks and cuts and moisturizing the skin than products that aren't designed to use as shaving (you won't find men shaving with conditioner or anything that's not designed for shaving).  I haven't had to deal with a rust ring in years, they all have rust free bottoms now.

As for the individual razor it doesn't really matter (although I wouldn't suggest the old school pink bic razor), it's all personal preference.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I also like the Intuition razors because it's almost impossible to cut yourself with them!

My 2 DD's both use Paula's Choice brand skin care-toner, ABA exfoliator, and moisturizer. More expensive than your drug store stuff, but Paula Begoun seems to really know her stuff. She does chemical evaluations of all sorts of products to test their effectiveness vs what they claim for marketing. 
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
We all (me and 2 teenage girls) use venus razors. Always with 5 blades. I don't use shaving cream (just soap!) but both of my girls use the EOS brand. My youngest daughter is under the care of a dermatologist and she recommends CeraVe products. Check and see which line could work. We also have Neutrogena Alcohol free toner. Both girls carry facial wipes in their bags, too. (those we get at Marshall's for $3.99 for 60)

good luck!

DD and I both use the Venus razors but while she uses the 5 blades because she has thicker hair, my skin can only tolerate the 3 blades - especially my armpits.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
@my2miracles.....that make sense!
MamaOf2

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 
You ladies are amazing.   Thank you!![biggrin]
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
My daughter just turned 12. She uses Cetaphil. She doesn't wear makeup. Around December she started getting tiny bits of what I assume is "hormonal" acne between her eyebrows (lol)- I am talking about 5 zits tops maybe. It comes and goes about once a month. Its barely noticeable but she uses Murad Acne Spot, Fast Fix... we got it from Sephora at the recommendation of my sister in law. 

Shaving wise, she started shaving because her friends were... she uses Aveeno shaving cream and Venus razors... and she probably shaves once a month tops... and 2 days before any sort of performance during that time of year. lol. She just wanted to, and I really had no opinion. 
pretzel

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Clean and Clear sensitive skin foaming face wash is essentially the same as Purpose...same company and essentially same formula but a little cheaper and easier to find. Both of them are great at removing make up and don't burn your eyes at all so also great at removing eye makeup.

My DD really likes the CeraVe face lotions. They make day (with spf) and night versions.
oliviablond

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
When my daughter was 12, she was starting to become concerned about her body hair. She only just got armpit hair and there were so few that were not noticeable unless you're really close up. I personally got laser hair removal done at http://www.spaandskin.com/ . Now my daugter is 15 and uses a razor. When she is over 20, I'll allow her laser emoval.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #20 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviablond
When my daughter was 12, she was starting to become concerned about her body hair. She only just got armpit hair and there were so few that were not noticeable unless you're really close up. I personally got laser hair removal done at http://www.spaandskin.com/ . Now my daugter is 15 and uses a razor. When she is over 20, I'll allow her laser emoval.

I just posted this on another thread but I'll copy and paste here... 

Just an alert.  All but one of oliviablond's posts contain odd clickable links.  I'd advise not to click but if you do... please do share your experience.  I'm a wee bit curious

AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

I just posted this on another thread but I'll copy and paste here... 

Just an alert.  All but one of oliviablond's posts contain odd clickable links.  I'd advise not to click but if you do... please do share your experience.  I'm a wee bit curious

I clicked this one and it went to a website for a spa treatment n Ontario.
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Does anyone recommend waxing for a young girl? As someone who had to shave often as a young adult I wish some had suggested it to me.
Dancinggirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
My dd started shaving when she was young and seemed to think you had to push really hard on the razor...so give a lesson, no matter what you choose.  She was kind of a bloody mess after that first time.

We are Irish and do not have a lot of thick body hair...but she started using one of these (after the blood bath): https://www.target.com/p/remington-compact-women-s-travel-electric-shaver-wsf4810d/-/A-21418548#lnk=sametab

It's a super easy shower battery shaver that is a good first shaver. She can use it dry out of the shower too.  Is it the best shaver on the market...no way.  Love the Venus ones.  But this is worry free.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.