Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #1 
Are there any SIs in Colorado or Florida for the under 10 crowd? All I could find last summer are princess 1/2 day camps.
0
meatball77

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,649
Reply with quote  #2 
Miami City starts at 9 but it's fairly competitive
0
heidi459

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 6,029
Reply with quote  #3 
What specifically are you looking for with regards to length and schedule?  And what is your goal for such a program?  I think most of these programs take into consideration the developmental level of the participants.  Most of the under 10 crowd isn't really ready for anything too long/intense.  For whatever it's worth my own kid didn't go to a real SI until she was 13... didn't go away until she was 15.   
0
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
What specifically are you looking for with regards to length and schedule?  And what is your goal for such a program?  I think most of these programs take into consideration the developmental level of the participants.  Most of the under 10 crowd isn't really ready for anything too long/intense.  For whatever it's worth my own kid didn't go to a real SI until she was 13... didn't go away until she was 15.   


I am looking for a full week program - overnight or not. The goal is that she hates going six weeks without dancing. She currently takes six hours of classes a week and it will be hard to go cold turkey. It seems like for her age (8) there are only these classes that seem to be more babysitter than actually technique focused. As for style she currently takes multi-disciplines but is spending the majority of time on ballet.

Maybe the reason what I am looking for doesn't exist is that kids her age are not ready for an all day program. But I know she would love it. 
0
nyklane

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 158
Reply with quote  #5 
Don't get too discouraged.  We found one last year for my 7 year old - 3 week program albeit half day (9 am to 1 pm).  The year prior they did run it full day.  It was a "junior" program to an SI that ran for 12 y/o +.  This one was ballet focused and turned out to be awesome for my DD.  We will do again next year!  This definitely wasn't babysitter focused and had a similar schedule to the older girls.

We are in near Hartford, CT --by no means a dance central place. [smile]  But HARTT which has a ballet program and masters program at the university, and year round programs for all offered it.  Keep looking - you may hear more information Jan/Feb time frame too!
0
ballerinamom13

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,815
Reply with quote  #6 
The only one I know of is in Phoenix, AZ for ages 9 and up.  I'm sure you will find one......it's still a little early.  I suggest looking at Ballet Talk for Dancers. The individual threads for SI's should be up soon.
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,177
Reply with quote  #7 

Orlando Ballet has a junior intensive with various options (half day, full day, one or two weeks depending on the location). 

At this age, a junior intensive is probably what you are looking for vs a dance camp. 

At 8, dd attended her school's dance camp. She was still at a comp school then. It was a perfect mix for her. They had ballet every day along with jazz and tap. They also had musical theater class with both singing and choreography. Their craft time (ie non dance time) was focused on preparing for their performance so they made tickets, programs, sets, costumes, etc. It went up to about age 10, overlapping with the age to start their more intense program. So, look carefully at the various dance camp programs, they may not be what they seem. 



You could also check with Boca Ballet. They seem to have several programs/workshops that, like just about any other place for this age, are designed for their year round students. Their programs are by level, so it's hard to know the age. 

I would recommend looking at various ballet schools to see what their summer offerings are for that age group. As I mentioned, they are all likely to be designed to local/day students. 

0
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 560
Reply with quote  #8 
ABT holds a two week "Young Dancer's Workshop" at USF in Tampa for dancers 9 - 11 and some 12 year olds that aren't ready for their regular intensives.   It is not as intense as their senior program as ABT places a lot of weight on age appropriate foundation training.  An eleven year old we know went last year and "had a blast!"  She also did 2 weeks at Patel Senior and preferred the less strenuous schedule at ABT.  This year's information is not online yet.  No housing is offered for that age.

Next Generation/Patel in Tampa had both a two and a one week junior program last year with the option of all day or half a day for (I believe) age 8 to high school.  My daughter attended a few years ago and got a lot out of the 2 week all day program.   This year's information is not online yet.  No housing is offered for the junior program.

Sarasota Ballet Summer Intensive has a Junior Option for ages 9 - 11.  I believe it is 3 weeks long concurrent with the senior intensive.  We've known several young dancers who loved the program.  They do housing in a hotel and some of the younger students stay in the hotel with family members.   This year's information is not online yet.  

Honestly, I think if you look there will be lots of options for a 10 year old dancer.  The larger programs that pull a more national or international audience will start posting information in the next month, and smaller more local programs often post later in the winter/early spring.  The more specific you can be about what area you are looking for and what type of program you are looking for, the more other members can help.  There is also a site known as "ballet talk for dancers" that has tons of ballet specific information and reviews of larger summer intensives and schools.  
0
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 335
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsmith
ABT holds a two week "Young Dancer's Workshop" at USF in Tampa for dancers 9 - 11 and some 12 year olds that aren't ready for their regular intensives.   It is not as intense as their senior program as ABT places a lot of weight on age appropriate foundation training.  An eleven year old we know went last year and "had a blast!"  She also did 2 weeks at Patel Senior and preferred the less strenuous schedule at ABT.  This year's information is not online yet.  No housing is offered for that age.

Next Generation/Patel in Tampa had both a two and a one week junior program last year with the option of all day or half a day for (I believe) age 8 to high school.  My daughter attended a few years ago and got a lot out of the 2 week all day program.   This year's information is not online yet.  No housing is offered for the junior program.

Sarasota Ballet Summer Intensive has a Junior Option for ages 9 - 11.  I believe it is 3 weeks long concurrent with the senior intensive.  We've known several young dancers who loved the program.  They do housing in a hotel and some of the younger students stay in the hotel with family members.   This year's information is not online yet.  

Honestly, I think if you look there will be lots of options for a 10 year old dancer.  The larger programs that pull a more national or international audience will start posting information in the next month, and smaller more local programs often post later in the winter/early spring.  The more specific you can be about what area you are looking for and what type of program you are looking for, the more other members can help.  There is also a site known as "ballet talk for dancers" that has tons of ballet specific information and reviews of larger summer intensives and schools.  


^whaf she said. There are quite a few options for in Florida. Just start clicking around at various sites and you may find something that works for you.
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,177
Reply with quote  #10 

She asked for under 10, but her dd is just 8. Easy to miss. [smile]

Will she be 9 by the time the summer roles around? 9 seems to open up some more doors like the ABT program. That program does require an audition and you are not necessarily placed in the geographic location you desire. If she will be 9 for the summer, keep your eyes on their website for audition info. 

0
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 335
Reply with quote  #11 
There are definitely options for 8 year olds in Florida. Maybe not full day but beyond the camp type atmosphere. Where in FL are you thinking?
0
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

At 8, dd attended her school's dance camp. She was still at a comp school then. It was a perfect mix for her. They had ballet every day along with jazz and tap. They also had musical theater class with both singing and choreography. Their craft time (ie non dance time) was focused on preparing for their performance so they made tickets, programs, sets, costumes, etc. It went up to about age 10, overlapping with the age to start their more intense program. So, look carefully at the various dance camp programs, they may not be what they seem. 





This sounds perfect!
0
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

She asked for under 10, but her dd is just 8. Easy to miss. [smile]

Will she be 9 by the time the summer roles around? 9 seems to open up some more doors like the ABT program. That program does require an audition and you are not necessarily placed in the geographic location you desire. If she will be 9 for the summer, keep your eyes on their website for audition info. 



Thanks - When I started looking it seemed like the cutoff for most camps was 10 so my hope was if it was under 10 it might include 8 year olds. 😀

She will turn 9 mid- summer but she is immature for her age so I would probably not push her into something for 9 year olds yet.
0
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKDAD
There are definitely options for 8 year olds in Florida. Maybe not full day but beyond the camp type atmosphere. Where in FL are you thinking?


My parents are near Sarasota and I thought my DD could stay with them. However I just learned they will be summering in Rhode Island so that takes Florida off the table next year.
0
nyklane

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 158
Reply with quote  #15 
Hartford is only an hour away from Rhode Island  [smile]
0
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 335
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBeav


My parents are near Sarasota and I thought my DD could stay with them. However I just learned they will be summering in Rhode Island so that takes Florida off the table next year.


For future summers, there are plenty of options not far from them 😉
0
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #17 

Is anyone familiar with this camp?

https://www.americandancetrainingcamp.com/

0
Dancinggirl

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,650
Reply with quote  #18 
What are your goals?  Are you looking for hard training or just a fun campy experience?  Do you live in CO?
0
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinggirl
What are your goals?  Are you looking for hard training or just a fun campy experience?  Do you live in CO?


The goal is that she stays active, is happy, and doesn't have a difficult time in the fall getting back to her current level. Definitely not "hard" training but keeping her skills fresh would be good. I also think learning from other instructors is helpful. She just wants to dance so six weeks is a long time for her to go cold turkey. She also loves overnight camps so combining them would be ideal.
0
Dancinggirl

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,650
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBeav
The goal is that she stays active, is happy, and doesn't have a difficult time in the fall getting back to her current level. Definitely not "hard" training but keeping her skills fresh would be good. I also think learning from other instructors is helpful. She just wants to dance so six weeks is a long time for her to go cold turkey. She also loves overnight camps so combining them would be ideal.


I live in CO and could recommend a bunch of local SIs but most of them are not sleepover.  Do you live here?
0
dmjrm4

Avatar / Picture

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 286
Reply with quote  #21 
We did Denver Ballet Theater in Centennial, CO last summer for two weeks and it was great.  When she got back to her comp studio in August the ballet teachers noticed a big improvement in her ballet.  I can tell you four other good ones in the Denver area if you'd like, I did a ton of research last spring.
0
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinggirl


I live in CO and could recommend a bunch of local SIs but most of them are not sleepover.  Do you live here?


Yes! Thanks.
0
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjrm4
We did Denver Ballet Theater in Centennial, CO last summer for two weeks and it was great.  When she got back to her comp studio in August the ballet teachers noticed a big improvement in her ballet.  I can tell you four other good ones in the Denver area if you'd like, I did a ton of research last spring.


I would appreciate benefiting from your research. [smile]
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.