Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Dd will doing a remake of a piece she did as an independent a couple of years ago but doesn't want to use the same costume because, while she really likes it, it's a 2 piece and she doesn't want that.  She wants simple.  Isn't really into the leo look (for herself).  Would prefer that it is skirted or more of a simple dance dress.  We've looked at Discount Dance, Dancewear Solutions, All About Dance and nothing as yet has jumped out at her.  Anyone have any great thoughts as to where else she might look?  TIA
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Look at Forever 21 and other similar "regular" clothing stores then just add a simple brief.  DD has worn several dresses from "regular" stores as costumes for contemporary pieces over the years.  You could also look at rompers.  There is a huge selection of them now.

Also check online sites like Lulus, Tobi, Dainty Hooligan etc.  Again, just pairing a simple dress with brief or she could wear a romper.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanx.  My guess (without looking yet, I admit) is that what I'll find on regular clothing sites won't suit her.  Since it's yagp.  She really wants to avoid a more typical comp look.  Tbh, I know a simple leo is probably the best fit but, as I said, she's set on skirted leo or a dance dress of sorts.  I just don't know if there are any dancewear sites that sell that sort of thing beyond the sites we've already looked at.  Every other site I find only sells leos.

emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I understand her thinking. 

You're talented, could you add tulle or chiffon as a sort-of skirt on the back or side of a leo?  You could just play around with the fabric and fashion it somehow that she likes?  Add an applique or two to the leo to make it more unique?

B Dancewear makes leos and skirts in a bazillion colors.  You might find something there.  You can also order fabric from her. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 

Oh... you're perhaps giving me more credit than I deserve  LOL

This is the closest we have to a contender right now.  Probably in mocha.  Although she likes the black cherry too.  Are concerned about that drape in the back though... the way that it looks as it moves/that it will distract as it flops around.  Though I suppose it could be sewn in place at the lower back now that I think more about it.  

https://www.dancewearsolutions.com/dresses/lyrical_and_contemporary/d10445.aspx?position=4#

But that gives you an idea of what she's looking for.  And she's looking for an earthy color... which, needless to say, doesn't make the search any easier.  

tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Have you checked the standard costume sites?  Sometimes they have plain contemporary dresses.
Manitobadancemom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Check out the dresses on Wear Moi. Lots of different leotards with attached skirts in lots of different colours!
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Ash found a simple lace dress at Forever 21 on clearance during Black Friday for her Sr cont solo.  It cost us all of $10. 
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
She can wear a leo with a separate skirt.  You'll see lots of that at YAGP.

I bought a cheap cotton tank dress from amazon (I think it was $14) and she put some lace around the waistline and she'll wear a leo underneath. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 

@Tappinmom: all the ones I've checked so far haven't had what she's looking for.  So many two pieces.  And bright pretty colors.  I'll keep looking though.

@Manitobadancemom:  Lots of pretty ones, yes, but the colors aren't right.  Unless she stuck with a basic black but she's white as snow so black's not really the best on her. 

@jwsqrdplus2:  So many great little inexpensive dresses in those stores, I know.  Just not what she wants for yagp.  She's got it in her head that it has to be simple, classic, dance attire.  And while I am sure we will see lots of what we have seen at traditional comps in the past, I can still kinda see where she's coming from.

Thanx for your thoughts!   

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Was wondering about that, Meatball.  Thanx for chiming in.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Discount dance had some simple sheath overlay sleeveless dresses when we were looking for costumes. Watercolour brand and others.
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #13 
I think the dress you shared is very pretty. I think you could band the drape in multiple places to tack it down as tightly as you want. I’m not sure how to describe what I’m thinking about other than an 80’s ponytail with lots of rubber bands going down the whole length to make a “braid”.
Midge

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Maybe something like this?  Similar to the one you posted.  Not earth toned but the pink is gorgeous  https://dancewearcorner.com/collections/dresses/products/body-wrappers-p1050-drape-trim-dance-dress

There's always those classic Mirella dresses...

Ballet Rosa has a few options (I really like this one http://www.balletrosa.com/models/view/362)

, there's a nice selection on Wear Moi too.)
Karpointe

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Did you find a dress heidi459? I've been looking for a dance dress with long loose sleeves and it doesn't exist. I ended up having one made but now choreographer said it was too choir-like. Now I'm just going with something from dancewear solutions.

Here's a pic of the rejected dress: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nRWjHxUxCVKpm2Q02  Next time I'm going to take some of the suggestions and look at Forever 21.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Thanx.  My guess (without looking yet, I admit) is that what I'll find on regular clothing sites won't suit her.  Since it's yagp.  She really wants to avoid a more typical comp look.  Tbh, I know a simple leo is probably the best fit but, as I said, she's set on skirted leo or a dance dress of sorts.  I just don't know if there are any dancewear sites that sell that sort of thing beyond the sites we've already looked at.  Every other site I find only sells leos.

I was just going to say that.  Not for YAGP.  What about adding a skirt to a leo?  The short Bullet Pointe skirts are simple and pretty and could be added to a black leo or a matching but different color.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

Oh... you're perhaps giving me more credit than I deserve  LOL

This is the closest we have to a contender right now.  Probably in mocha.  Although she likes the black cherry too.  Are concerned about that drape in the back though... the way that it looks as it moves/that it will distract as it flops around.  Though I suppose it could be sewn in place at the lower back now that I think more about it.  

https://www.dancewearsolutions.com/dresses/lyrical_and_contemporary/d10445.aspx?position=4#

But that gives you an idea of what she's looking for.  And she's looking for an earthy color... which, needless to say, doesn't make the search any easier.  

I really do like the color and the look from the front, but I don't like the look in the back at all.  I wonder if you could sew that but then would it cover too much of her back?
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #18 
We ended up cheap and simple.  And in black... even though she's a bit of a ghost.  Sorry about the massive picture

[khmartin_aimee-700x700]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
That's really pretty  😉
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpointe
Did you find a dress heidi459? I've been looking for a dance dress with long loose sleeves and it doesn't exist. I ended up having one made but now choreographer said it was too choir-like. Now I'm just going with something from dancewear solutions.

Here's a pic of the rejected dress: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nRWjHxUxCVKpm2Q02  Next time I'm going to take some of the suggestions and look at Forever 21.

Well that's frustrating.  Hopefully you didn't pay too much to have it made.  Good luck in your renewed search!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
That's really pretty  😉

Thanx!  The back of the other one was bugging us too.  And although we did like the way it looked in the front the darker color up so high, against her paler neck/face, probably wouldn't have been the best.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.