Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
shewolf

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Ayvah is sickling her right foot when she is does her right leg extension.  She does not do it when she is in the splits.  Someone said that she could use a sticker to remind her?  Has anyone tried that or any other suggestion to correct this.  Of course this is the only correction I get when I ask what she has to work on and it is the easiest thing for the teacher to think of.  But regardless we are gonna work on it
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
How old is she?

My DD has feet that are beautiful, but she would sickle like crazy. Only thing that helped was more ballet. And more ballet. And even more ballet.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Agree with ballet! It's all about strength and retraining the muscles. DD14 has awesome feet, but her left foot tends to sickle. She has to be aware of it always. It starts at barre.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
IIRC you have a little one so a lot of it is just going to be practice makes perfect. Like the others, I too would recommend more ballet. My 13 year old has banana feet but tends to very slightly sickle her right foot to get more of an arch. It's still something she has to consciously change.
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
One thing we do when we practice at home and we have something like that - a bent knee or sickle foot is to have her "Feel" that she is sickleling her foot during the move.  So I have used an ace bandage and a plastic spoon before.  I use plastic drinking straws sometimes - that helped my daughter recognize that she was bending her knees in cartwheel, then again in back walkovers.  Now she asks for them (lol) so she can "feel" what she is doing wrong.  A sickle foot can be sometimes hard to "feel".  Sounds weird but if you took a plastic spoon, and an ace bandage and aligned her ankle foot -then had her do a leg extension - she'd feel her foot pressing on the spoon - and the spoon pressing back. [smile].

Just a thought!
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I suspect she does not sickle in the splits because these are easy for her and she can correct a tendency to sickle.  But in the extension she might be more focused on height than form.  Encourage her to do her barre and ballet work with attention to form, even if that means losing some height while she works up the strength to perform the move correctly.  
shewolf

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
she is only 6 so practice practice practice and she has a good ballet teacher this year so I hope this helps.  I will try the spoon.  This is the one major thing we have to correct and then telling me to correct it (I never had this problem as a kid) put me going ok ummmmm how lol
shewolf

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
20170513_134253.jpg 
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Sickling can be a horribly difficult habit to break, but she is just a baby in the dance world.  With time, proper training, and appropriate correction she should be fine.

Also...What a little cutie pie!
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
You have a cute little dancer!

If a dance teacher was telling me I needed to work on a problem at home with my dancer, I would expect detailed instructions and a demonstration of what the problem is and exactly what my dancer and I are expected to do about it at home.  DD's ballet school specifically asked us not to try to work with our dancers at a young age at home so as not to accidentally ingrain incorrect muscle memory or overstretch delicate muscles and connective tissues.

Frequent quality ballet training is enormously beneficial to developing the strength and control a dancer needs to maintain turnout and proper positioning.  DD's new ballet school doesn't offer training to dancers younger than 8, and the previous school offered pre-ballet only before age 8.  
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I agree with @ggsmith. This correction should be worked on in class. True ballet should start at 7/8  years old. Everything else is pre-ballet. Her teacher/s should be working with her.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
THIS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
I suspect she does not sickle in the splits because these are easy for her and she can correct a tendency to sickle.  But in the extension she might be more focused on height than form.  Encourage her to do her barre and ballet work with attention to form, even if that means losing some height while she works up the strength to perform the move correctly.  
nicknoralove

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
She's adorable!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.