Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
How much would you be willing to spend on a SI? How much is just too much for you?

Of the two programs that we are deciding between, one is $2,550 with a scholarship. They don't offer as many different styles, and also their extra weekend activities aren't very expensive things. The other one is $4,395, a great deal more. But they will be going to see multiple professional ballet companies, have more genres and guest teachers.

I guess my question is just, what is reasonable, and what is just too much?
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I budget about $1000 a week, including room and board, plus pointe shoes, Leo's/tights and other incidentals like spending money. So I expect tuition to be less than $500/week.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Like 5678StarMom - About $1k/week for tuition/room/board is average. There are some programs that are more expensive or less expensive, but that's the middle point it seems. That doesn't including weekend outings or the incidentals mentioned above.

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
For the last several years, I have budgeted the same, about 1K per week. $500 per week if not boarding. That has not included things like pointe shoes, incidentals or travel. Excursions have varied greatly depending on the location of the SI. 

Most of her SIs since 2011 have fallen within this price range. Last year's program was slightly higher, but the dorm was definitely a more expensive dorm than most. Quite luxurious in some ways and included use of very nice gym, something she took advantage of a great deal. 
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Oh, for a moment I thought you were saying 1k for all the weeks, and I was about to ask what sort of intensives these were, but then I realized that it was for just 1 week[tongue][smile][biggrin]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
It varies. . . one we are looking at is $3575 and that includes both tuition AND room and board.  Bolshoi is $7500 for tuition and room and board.  That is over twice as much!  Two years ago DD had gotten a 25% tuition scholarship for Bolshoi but it still was way more than we could afford.

I'm still not sure what she's doing yet.  She has the opportunity to do 5 weeks in Brazil and Korea for $500 a week plus the cost of airfare.  That really is not too bad!  And I think it would be a great experience for her!  But we're also considering Cincinnati (which she did last weekend), ABT, and a smaller program.  She's actually leaning towards the smaller program.  The goal is to get better this summer and when we sent in her audition video the teacher responded with corrections, corrections that she gets here at her home studio.  We'll decide in the next two weeks.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
For me it depends on the kid and the goal. DD used to be very serious about ballet and so we planned to spend upwards of 6k this coming summer and were willing to travel on top of that, but her interest lessened over the past few months and we told her she either had to do a cheaper one or a shorter one as we don't want to spend more than 3k on it (not including hotel, pointe shoes, all the other things that go into it). She only auditioned for two--Rock and NYSSSA. Rock isn't cheap, but it allows us to do a short one. I think we paid $2700 for two weeks there last year and she may end up there again this year for a short period. NYSSSA is 4 weeks but only $2200 for everything. I doubt she will audition anywhere else because, for her commitment level at this point, Rock is fine if NYSSSA doesn't accept her.

ETA: on top of whichever intensive she does she will do her home intensive as well. If she does Rock, she will have time for 5 weeks at home ($1200), and if she does Nysssa she will probably just do 1-2 weeks at home (maybe $600).
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
DD would love to go away but I can't make it happen.  She will attend an SI about 90 minutes away and stay at home.  Not ideal socially, as they separate the day kids for lunch and day kids are not included in evening and weekend activities.  The training is pretty good and they draw a national and international student group.  The day student rate is $1800 for 5 weeks.  She's happy to go, but there are other programs she would love to attend that would require room and board.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.