Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I've always been of the experience/belief - and this is still true - that ballet is slow and steady.

However, I've also come to know that at SI auditions it is important to accentuate a dancer's strengths. I've heard the word "cheat" bantered about. Personally, I don't consider these cheats but examples include wearing leos with high-cut legs to accentuate the length of the leg; or altering dance shoes to make the feet look as flattering as possible.

With that said, what things - if at all - does your dancer do to accentuate the positive?

Any product recommendations?
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Dds teacher used to work for NBS, helping choose kids for their SI. She gave some tips including working the feet muscles to help accentuate them before you even walk in the building, and to know that you are being watched at every step.
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
What is SI?  I'm noticing I have a long way to go on the abbreviations here.  [confused]
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDanceDad
What is SI?  I'm noticing I have a long way to go on the abbreviations here.  [confused]

Summer Intensive
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I agree that it's not cheating so much as as not calling attention to your... let's call them weaknesses.  With, as you say, an unflattering leotard or a shoe that doesn't show your foot off to it's best.  But I think most dancers probably do that for day to day as well.  I know my own dd does.  So I honestly can't say that there is anything she does 'differently' for an SI audition.
hopefuldancer17

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I agree with Heidi. And no leotard or shoe will make up for lack of technique or potential, so go for what's flattering day to day and then keep wearing that to auditions.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 

There's not much one can do. 

Wear a leotard in a complimentary design and color, one that fits nicely (no picking at the butt, no  constantly pulling it up at the bust after every combination, etc- leave it alone!). Do check the program's website to make sure they are not requesting only black or only dark colors (only saw the latter request once and don't recall the program). Hair should be done neatly, just as it should be done for class. That's about it. 

For actually professional company auditions, dd did make sure she walked in looking professional and remained that way through out. The audition in those cases is a job interview and that certainly does begin the moment you walk in the door. Really, before you walk in the door because you don't know if the person in line behind you at Starbucks is the artistic director or someone else involved in decision making (it happened.. and it was all good. [smile])  

momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Which SIs is she looking to audition with? 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Well, she's already accepted to Grand Rapids Ballet's 5-wk Intensive with a 1/2 off scholarship, which pretty much takes the pressure off.

This is the "If I had all the time, money and energy" list. Clearly, it will be much less.

ArtEmotion/Ballet West or Texas Ballet Theatre (They are on the same day in Detroit)
ABT
Gelsey Kirkland Junior program (audition in Detroit same day as SAB in Chicago) or
SAB - total reach BUT her age next summer allows her to be considered for its new 1-week program, its California intensive, and the main one. I figured that this is the only age where she can be considered for all three. This audition is in Chicago, but falls over my birthday weekend, so we thought we'd squeeze some Chicago time in.
Chautauqua
Ballet Chicago
Ballet Met
Complexions scholarship audition

There's more, but I can't remember. The list above will probably be winnowed down to three or four at the maximum.

I'm Canadian so I'm letting her do
National Ballet of Canada
Royal Winnipeg
Alberta Ballet
Definite reaches/unlikely, but with family in all those locations, it would be an amazing experience.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

There's not much one can do. 

Wear a leotard in a complimentary design and color, one that fits nicely (no picking at the butt, no  constantly pulling it up at the bust after every combination, etc- leave it alone!). Do check the program's website to make sure they are not requesting only black or only dark colors (only saw the latter request once and don't recall the program). Hair should be done neatly, just as it should be done for class. That's about it. 

For actually professional company auditions, dd did make sure she walked in looking professional and remained that way through out. The audition in those cases is a job interview and that certainly does begin the moment you walk in the door. Really, before you walk in the door because you don't know if the person in line behind you at Starbucks is the artistic director or someone else involved in decision making (it happened.. and it was all good. [smile])  

Looooooong way off if ever for DD, but it made me think. Does a dancer auditioning for a professional company arrive in business attire then change to dance clothes or just arrive in dance clothing?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:

Looooooong way off if ever for DD, but it made me think. Does a dancer auditioning for a professional company arrive in business attire then change to dance clothes or just arrive in dance clothing?

Dd was somewhere in the middle. She arrived looking polished and professional. Not in actual business attire which we are coincidentally shopping for on her one day off when I visit to see Nut as she has something to do during her layoff that will require actual business clothing.  It was winter and she was mostly auditioning in cold climates, so she wore a nice pair of slacks, simple top, etc. Make up and hair done prior to arrival. That's instead of arriving in sweats or torn jeans, beat up sneakers and a ratty T-shirt. She looked polished. I think she looked like a working dancer, not a dancer at work, if that makes sense.  This is advice she was given in advance of audition season. Seems basic but that's not always obvious to a young dancer looking for work.   She usually knew where she was auditioning and changed into dance clothes once there. Might have worn them under her clothes a few times too.  Of all the auditions she did, I was only anywhere nearby once or twice. 

Dd and I were both trained that dance clothing belongs in the studio, and not on the street. Dance clothes were to be covered going to and from the studio. I still cringe when I see an older dancer walking out of a studio in a leotard.. and I mean just a leotard.

momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
Well, she's already accepted to Grand Rapids Ballet's 5-wk Intensive with a 1/2 off scholarship, which pretty much takes the pressure off. 

I didn't think auditions/scholarship auditions started until January for Grand Rapids Ballet. How cool she was able to get in and get a scholarship already! Will she be in the Junior or Senior program?
karenc

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Wondering here if the original poster is referring to false pieces placed in pointe shoes to give the appearance of a better foot than one actually has.  I do consider this 'a cheat' personally although I would assume technique would win out most of the time over having "pretty feet" at an SI audition.  I've only seen these advertised so I'm curious if dancers actually use them. 
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenc
Wondering here if the original poster is referring to false pieces placed in pointe shoes to give the appearance of a better foot than one actually has.  I do consider this 'a cheat' personally although I would assume technique would win out most of the time over having "pretty feet" at an SI audition.  I've only seen these advertised so I'm curious if dancers actually use them. 

What on earth are these? Pointe speak is all new to us and I've never heard of these "false pieces".
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
They are also known as arch enhancers or fake arches. They really are instep enhancers because you are putting something in top of the instep to make the foot look less flat on to and more like a banana foot.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Thank you, tendumom. My something new for the day. 
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Never in 20 years of dance have I seen anyone use these.......
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew

I didn't think auditions/scholarship auditions started until January for Grand Rapids Ballet. How cool she was able to get in and get a scholarship already! Will she be in the Junior or Senior program?

You are correct, but the Michigan Dance Council held its 2017 MI Dance Festival in October, and as part of that Festival they hold summer intensive scholarship auditions: one audition for middle school students and one for high school students. Only three places were evaluating middle school students: Blue Lake was awarding three scholarships; New DanceFest was awarding two, and Grand Rapids Junior Intensive awarded one. The high school audition had many more places offering scholarships.

DD got the full scholarship for the junior intensive at Grand Rapids Ballet. I spoke with a woman there and explained that DD will be 12 by next summer and takes 4 30-minute pointe classes a week this year. She said DD could apply her scholarship to the senior intensive, which would be 1/2 off the tuition. The woman said she could audition - with no fee - to be evaluated for senior intensive placement, or just be evaluated at the beginning of the intensive. Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to have her go to an audition so she can get a feel for its style AND to make sure she can cut it at the senior level.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
Never in 20 years of dance have I seen anyone use these.......

In the last couple of years I've seen girls put gauze pads on the top of their feet before putting their tights on - 3 different ballet schools now. I'm thinking it must have been on a popular social media account because the 3 schools are all in different parts of the city. It's done relatively secretly, though - I do know that at one of the schools it would not be looked upon fondly. [wink]
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenc

I have never heard of this, but that would be a more accurate description of a "cheat" in my opinion.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDeChatMom

In the last couple of years I've seen girls put gauze pads on the top of their feet before putting their tights on - 3 different ballet schools now. I'm thinking it must have been on a popular social media account because the 3 schools are all in different parts of the city. It's done relatively secretly, though - I do know that at one of the schools it would not be looked upon fondly. [wink]

Well - when they start doing contemporary ballet in bare feet, good luck with that. Stupid IMO.  And big girl ballerinas don't wear tights, especially not footed tights.......
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Oh oh - looks like someone hasn't thought of some things.....thanks for the thumbs down on the truth.  
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
http://grishkoshop.com/product/0558-nakladnoi-podiom

http://shop.dancearches.com.au/instep-enhancers

I guess people will try anything...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.