Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
What to wear, what to do etc. Any tips would be helpful! I told my DD to just wear light makeup and make sure her hair looks neat, and her teachers told her just to treat it like any class.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
DD just did her first SI audition for the year yesterday.  You'll get lots of other great responses from other moms too, but here's some tips from me.   Definitely make sure hair looks neat and is pulled away in a nice bun, just light makeup to enhance features, come early to complete registration and warm up, keep focused, make sure you smile!  You can be professional and look like you're enjoying yourself at the same time.  [smile]
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the tips, joriebelle. We just got home from her audition. There were only six girls there! She said that she definitely should have smiled and relaxed more, but that it was hard as it was a day of many firsts. First SI audition, first time with a live accompanist, first time dancing in a different studio than her home one, first time with a different teacher, and first time dancing with girls she hasn't been with for years.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Best of luck to her!  The more she does, the more relaxed she'll be.  I'm sure she was great.  [smile]
Ecourtney

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I would add to wear a leotard that they feel good in and certainly one that they don't need to keep adjusting. No picking! We try not to be in the front of the registration line as they usually line up in audition number order. The lower numbers will likely be in the first group when they do combinations. My DD definitely likes to watch a few groups go first to give extra time to learn it!
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you! Since there were only 6 girls at her first one, we were the first to register, but she didn't have the first number. Even though that was the case, she was still in the first group for everything since there were so few of them.[smile]
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Dds teacher used to audition kids for nbs, and she told dd to work her feet muscles before she goes in, and that the audition starts the moment she walks in the door.
Other tips I have heard is to wear a body suit that accentuates the legs, and make sure to take every correction as your own, even if it wasn't directed at you.
Ecourtney

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I would add to wear a leotard that they feel good in and certainly one that they don't need to keep adjusting. No picking! We try not to be in the front of the registration line as they usually line up in audition number order. The lower numbers will likely be in the first group when they do combinations. My DD definitely likes to watch a few groups go first to give extra time to learn it!
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Start early.  Check the audition requirements and get your photos ready a week early, make sure there are new tights on hand, and that the pretty audition leotard still fits nicely. 

Have your dancer decide what to wear ahead of time.  It should be comfortable and flattering.  Have her clean out her dance bag and repack it with clean slippers, an extra leotard and tights, several pairs of pointe shoes, pads, etc.

Pre-register or fill out a registration form before you get there and if paying at the audition itself, make sure you have the proper method of payment.

Leave early for the audition location.  There is nothing like sitting in traffic with a nervous dancer while she continually re-calculates how much time is left before the first plie.   

I aim for a positive attitude going into an audition.  This is an opportunity to learn about the different programs available, and hopefully learn something from a teacher from another school, another part of the country, or even another part of the world.  Of course acceptance is great, but that is the part we have no control of.  I want her to enjoy the experience.  Without the joy, there is no reason to dance.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.