Register Calendar New Posts

Author Comment

dancemom52

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I am calling tomorrow to make an appointment with the doctor but was kind of surprised when she said that she is whipped and out of breath when she finishes her solo or trio dance. She said she can't repeat or redo the dance after finishing the first run through.   She is 17 years old and there is a lot in these dances but she is conditioned and was able to handle these dances last year.  She does not have asthma nor is she short of breath at other times but she is my sleepy child.  If given the opportunity on weekends, she can sleep 11-12 hours.  I know teenagers like to sleep but she can sleep like this all the time.  She had to go to the doctor a few weeks ago for a completely different item and she was told her heart rate was on the low range but the doctor considered it normal given her activity but my daughter didn't speak up about being out of breath after extensive dancing.  So I would like them to do some blood work on her and see if we have to have her heart looked at.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
MinnDanceMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I don't know if this is anything to be concerned about. My daughter has had this problem with really fast and challenging solos before.

If it is abnormal for your daughter, by all means, go to the doctor to get it checked out. But my daughter is very active, and in really good shape, and she has had this problem with her really crazy fast and challenging solos.

Good luck!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Don't assume she's not asthmatic just because she doesn't have issues all the time - asthma can be exercise induced.  Get her checked out.
KDADanceMom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Get her thyroid levels checked with blood work.
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Could also be anemia.
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
or mono
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My DD16 has very similar symptoms.  She was in the pediatrician three times over the past month.  She had just about every blood test available to rule out anything serious. 

She has basically been anemic since starting her period.  She has very long (10 days average) heavy periods that come about 16 days apart.  Well, her anemia has advanced to a dangerous level and she was actually transfusable a couple weeks ago.  DD's hemoglobin was 7.3 and her hematocrit was insanely low as well.  Her heart rate has been running very high though which is common with advanced, prolonged anemia, around 115 resting. 

Last Friday, after running her solo multiple times she got in the car and I almost drove straight to the ER.  She was panting, chalk white and was complaining of her chest hurting.  It was the end of a 10 day cycle for her and this is her pattern.  We came home, I poured Pedialyte down her and she felt a little better after about 32ozs.  She becomes very dehydrated during this time as well.

She tried taking several different formulas of birth control pills to control her periods but all made her so sick to her stomach that all were eventually stopped.  We have just this week been given the Nuva Ring to try.  (I was actually going to start a new thread about this when I had the time.)

Anyway, get everything done via blood tests that you can, start there.  Does she have excessive periods?  It may be something as simple as Mono.  Have them do a complete Epstein Barr panel to look for anything like that.  Make sure her hemoglobin and iron stores are good.  Make sure she is properly hydrated, it could be something easily remedied like that.  Definitely look into thyroid and the asthma angle as well.  Ask your pediatrician what else they would recommend at this point.  My pediatrician ordered just about everything she could think of.  She even looked for some pretty rare viral infections and a couple auto immune diseases. 

Hope your DD feels better soon!
Halo

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My daughter has this issue with her solo this year. It is much more challenging and they have been working on her doing it two times through back to back to build up her stamina. We know that because some of the moves are so difficult, my DD holds her breath and they are working on her breathing through her movements.

I'm not saying this is what is going on your DD, but is is a problem for us. I was also concerned, but it only happens with her solo.
Skittlesdancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
I am calling tomorrow to make an appointment with the doctor but was kind of surprised when she said that she is whipped and out of breath when she finishes her solo or trio dance. She said she can't repeat or redo the dance after finishing the first run through.   She is 17 years old and there is a lot in these dances but she is conditioned and was able to handle these dances last year.  She does not have asthma nor is she short of breath at other times but she is my sleepy child.  If given the opportunity on weekends, she can sleep 11-12 hours.  I know teenagers like to sleep but she can sleep like this all the time.  She had to go to the doctor a few weeks ago for a completely different item and she was told her heart rate was on the low range but the doctor considered it normal given her activity but my daughter didn't speak up about being out of breath after extensive dancing.  So I would like them to do some blood work on her and see if we have to have her heart looked at.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Has she been tested for Asthma? I say this because I'm curious if a regular doc ruled that out.
3girlsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDADanceMom
Get her thyroid levels checked with blood work.

This is what I was going to say!!! 

Also, make sure she is getting enough protein (eggs, peanut butter/sunbutter, etc).  My oldest is a swimmer and being hydrated and well fed can make the difference between peak performance and not.

Good Luck!
Dancinggirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Hey let's not all jump to guessing....and don't assume this is nothing.  It definitely sounds serious to me especially since you know your kid and this is not normal.  Take her to the doctor ASAP and don't leave until all of your concerns are addressed.
Psmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I'm glad you're seeing the doctor. One of my dd16's best friends had open heart surgery last June. The girl has been a year round competitive swimmer, soccer player, and cross country runner her whole life but she had a heart defect that had gone unnoticed until she started having extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, and her times in swimming started getting slower. Her recovery has been unbelievably fast. It's always best to let your doctor figure these things out.
murphydance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Maybe on school days she is not getting enough sleep or during school she is wearing herself out. Me DD13 has the same issue after her solo practices. What we did is work on running on a tread mill to bring her endurance level up. 
Sabrina

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
My dd has exercised induced asthma that really kicks in when she "leaves it on the floor" or has anxiety about dancing.  

It did take a full on battery of tests with a pulmonologist to get a diagnosis.  Her pediatrician ruled it out, but sent her to the pulmonologist as a precaution. It's pretty mild, and only happens every once in awhile, but it is certainly scary.  The unpredictability makes it harder to manage as she doesn't love pre-treating with the inhaler.
I've learned that when she's nervous about dancing, she needs a puff before hitting the stage.

Let the docs do their thing. 
Intheburbs

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
If it's a change for her then have it checked out - you said she could handle it last year but now is having issues.

Could be the weather, a cold or underlying thing brewing - could be nothing. But better to have her checked. I don't mess around with breathing, lung, asthma stuff! My daughter has asthma that only presents when she is sick. So when she is coming off something and dancing her breathing is challenged and she will need an inhaler. Never needs it otherwise. Asthma comes in many degrees!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: