Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
What are the best shoes for going to and from class. I'm always concerned my dd is going to snag her tights on her shoes. Can the warm up booties be worn outside? I haven't found any local to see what they soles are made out of. Tia
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
The Bloch warm up booties have a thin covering on the soles that feels similar to the uppers.  Quick walk from car to studio or studio to car in good weather is OK, but prolonged wear outside or during rain/snow, I would not recommend.  And that was a question I very specifically asked the Bloch rep before we bought a pair (she now has 3 pairs!).  

Other than that, my recommendation would be something like Nike slides!  My basketball player wears those to/from practice and games all the time with her socks.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My daughter usually wears convertible tights and rolls them up after class.  In winter she will throw on boots, usually Uggs. In summer she usually throws on flip flops. When she used to wear the warm up booties, they were for indoors, only. No tracking outside "stuff" in to the studios.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My daughter loves nike slides.  UUGS are great for winter.

If she's wearing convertible tights then snagging them shouldn't be a problem, just remind her to pull them up (or put socks over them).
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
DD14 wears Uggs or Sperry's that are easy to slip on and off, depending on weather. DD7 wears Uggs, nike slides or just slip on flats. DD14 has several pairs of warm up boots but they don't get much use honestly. She uses them the most as slippers around the house and around the dorm at her SI.
Midge

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Uggs in the winter, flip flops or crocs in the summer.  Nothing with buckles to snag (thank goodness no one in our family wears character heels anymore, those were murder on tights!)
MagnoliaDanceMom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Jandals are super popular at our studio. Great for warmer weather. They slip right over the ballet or half sole dance shoes. Very comfortable. Don't let their appearance steer you away...

simbar

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We do convertible tights and whatever shoes are by the front door. We also have warm up booties as well.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaDanceMom
Jandals are super popular at our studio. Great for warmer weather. They slip right over the ballet or half sole dance shoes. Very comfortable. Don't let their appearance steer you away...

They are popular around here too, but my girl hates them. 
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
My daughter usually wears convertible tights and rolls them up after class.  In winter she will throw on boots, usually Uggs. In summer she usually throws on flip flops. When she used to wear the warm up booties, they were for indoors, only. No tracking outside "stuff" in to the studios.

In the winter she does wear her uggs and still tries to, but it's mid 80s most days and drives me bananas for her to wear them not. She does only wear convertible tights because they give a little extra room on the backside to go over her rear. Though she can't get the toe off without ripping the tights.

owensamo

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
While my daughter (15) now hates tights on her feet (and has cut all the feet off her in-class tights - fortunately her teachers haven't cited her for a dress code violation!), when she is wearing tights at competitions/performances or when she was younger, we just had her wear whatever shoes she normally wore - often Toms/Bobs or sneakers. She has never had runs/snags in the feet of her tights - they were always around the knee or thigh, probably where she pulled them up and put more stress on the fabric. I assume it had to do with the thickness/elasticity of the tight material they use, but it's never really been a problem in normal (closed-toe) shoes.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by owensamo
While my daughter (15) now hates tights on her feet (and has cut all the feet off her in-class tights - fortunately her teachers haven't cited her for a dress code violation!), when she is wearing tights at competitions/performances or when she was younger, we just had her wear whatever shoes she normally wore - often Toms/Bobs or sneakers. She has never had runs/snags in the feet of her tights - they were always around the knee or thigh, probably where she pulled them up and put more stress on the fabric. I assume it had to do with the thickness/elasticity of the tight material they use, but it's never really been a problem in normal (closed-toe) shoes.

She had a ton of toms, but they are all sequins in probably every color. lol that's why I'm concerned with them tearing. I'll look into some regular toms/bobs. Thanks
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
DD wears warm up booties. She has the bloch one and the Russian Pointe. The Russian Point ones seem to be her go-to's.
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Mine wears sneakers or flipflops depending on the temperature.  If it's nasty weather, she wears boots.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom2two
Mine wears sneakers or flipflops depending on the temperature.  If it's nasty weather, she wears boots.

Same. She also has moccassins that she wears sometimes
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
DD says she would recommend the Bloch booties for indoors, unless its a very short trek to the car in good weather.

She usually wears her UGGS on colder days and her Sperry's, Vans, or Converse on warmer days. She isn't a fan of true slip ons or opentoed shoes(she's a bit picky, lol!) She says that other people from her ballet academy have worn flip flops, Nike slides(she used to have a pair that she wore pretty religiously), and Crocs in addition to what she wears.

Her absolute favorite is when it is cold out and she can wear her UGGS. She likes to put on fuzzy socks over her tights to keep her feet extra warm.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
We are in a warm climate and so it is Birkenstocks with convertible tights year round - Birkies are pretty popular around here and so you see them a lot.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
DD wears either Bloch warm up booties, Nike Sneakers or flip flops in summer. The booties hold up just fine for the walk from car to studio even in a bit of rain or snow. She's even worn the booties on the subway in NYC.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
DDs usually wear Flip flops, Sperry Topsiders, or Uggs.

They wear warm up booties in the studio between classes.
HTownDanceMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Flip flops or any slip on shoe with convertible tights for the Spring/Summer and Uggs in the Winter
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Everyone wears Birkenstocks at our studio.  I think they are so ugly!
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
DD wears her old tights for class.  New for comp and when they get snagged, they become class tights.  This was the standard practice at her last studio which was a serious comp studio.     She's turning 15 so tights are only required for ballet and at the current studio not really enforced. 
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Depending on the season, they wear flip flops (Nike memory foam ones), sneakers, uggs and older dd sometimes wears her moccasins.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjrm4
Everyone wears Birkenstocks at our studio.  I think they are so ugly!

LOL, DD14 wears Birkenstocks too, I just block it out apparently. I bought her a knock off pair from Walmart last summer and my wealthy aunt thought it was the most tragic thing ever to have knock offs from Walmart. So she took pity on her and bought her a real and very nice pair. They are definitely her go to for the summer, although the trend hasn't caught on at the studio.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: