Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
It just hit me today that DD18 will be having her Senior Pic photo shoot next week. I have done nothing to prepare for this. I'm thinking that we will take pics in our small downtown area which also has a park, creek, bridge, gazebo. Any ideas on how to incorporate her dance experiences into the pics? Note, the studio does professional pics for competition and rec dances, so costume pics are covered.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Does she want some dance poses mixed in with her other photos? Maybe a favorite costume as one outfit choice and perhaps something she might normally wear to dance as another if she has several outfit choices built into her package. Is the studio in the downtown area? A photo ala "Dancers Among Us" outside the studio might be fun. 

I did dd's senior pics myself. She did about 95% dance related photos around town. Did some in a simple black leo, some with a plain tutu and that leotard and some in a normal outfit. Senior pics aside from the usual graduation cap or simple black robe headshot are not a big thing in this area at all. I do love seeing what photographers in other areas do. Dancers are so easy because most of them enjoy being photographed. The biggest issue though, is that a non-dance photographer will think something is an amazing or beautiful photo and the dancer will something technical that ruins the photo for them!

emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
DD had two different senior pic sessions.  One was in the summer with a regular photographer, almost all were outside from multiple locations with multiple wardrobe changes.  

Her second shoot was in the fall during the peak of color change with a former professional dancer who now does dance photography, she is amazing.  Everyone of those was done outside and these are my favorites!  DD had several wardrobe changes for her dance pics as well.  She had several pics done in a couple different leos, she wore a great flowy skirt with a lace crop top in a few, a different tulle skirt and top in others and she also had several in plain black shorts and still another top and still some additional mixing and matching.

Couple of ideas...use the environment.  If you can have her photos shot in the late afternoon, early evening (the golden hour), use the sun!  Some of my faves are of DD almost in silhouette with the sun behind her, so gorgeous.  

She had several great shots in a creek and on the accompanying rocks as well, many have the water drops from her movement in them...also some of my favorites.  

There were several shots on a wooden bridge (good leaping and perspective shots and some great ones shot from a little bit below looking up...a very different perspective,but so cool (her calves look incredible in a couple of these).  Brick walkways, brick walls, a beautiful wood doorway on a very old church,on old brick steps, along side a lone tree, in a field of fallen leaves.  I can't remember all the great spots.  We didn't get any on a street with cars around her, DD wasn't interested in any of these, but I think they can pretty cool.

Basically think outside the box, look around you, great backgrounds are everywhere.  Tell your DD to have fun with them!  I think I had as much fun with DD's dance photos as she did!
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
You could shoot a fairly straight-forward senior portrait in "normal" street clothes, but have her hold dance (pointe? tap?) shoes in one hand, or hanging over one shoulder.  The key is making it *somewhat* natural; I'm not a fan of some where a kid is posing with, say, a clarinet or saxophone out in the woods at sunset.

But the power of shoes to a dancer:
http://www.audibleodyssey.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/love-tap-dance.jpg
(portrait of Gregory Hines, by Rose Eichenbaum)

Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988
You could shoot a fairly straight-forward senior portrait in "normal" street clothes, but have her hold dance (pointe? tap?) shoes in one hand, or hanging over one shoulder.  The key is making it *somewhat* natural; I'm not a fan of some where a kid is posing with, say, a clarinet or saxophone out in the woods at sunset.

Omg I love this pic so much!!!! Thanks for sharing. DD is a tapper. I will definitely suggest a pose like this
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom
DD had two different senior pic sessions.  One was in the summer with a regular photographer, almost all were outside from multiple locations with multiple wardrobe changes.  

Her second shoot was in the fall during the peak of color change with a former professional dancer who now does dance photography, she is amazing.  Everyone of those was done outside and these are my favorites!  DD had several wardrobe changes for her dance pics as well.  She had several pics done in a couple different leos, she wore a great flowy skirt with a lace crop top in a few, a different tulle skirt and top in others and she also had several in plain black shorts and still another top and still some additional mixing and matching.

Couple of ideas...use the environment.  If you can have her photos shot in the late afternoon, early evening (the golden hour), use the sun!  Some of my faves are of DD almost in silhouette with the sun behind her, so gorgeous.  

She had several great shots in a creek and on the accompanying rocks as well, many have the water drops from her movement in them...also some of my favorites.  

There were several shots on a wooden bridge (good leaping and perspective shots and some great ones shot from a little bit below looking up...a very different perspective,but so cool (her calves look incredible in a couple of these).  Brick walkways, brick walls, a beautiful wood doorway on a very old church,on old brick steps, along side a lone tree, in a field of fallen leaves.  I can't remember all the great spots.  We didn't get any on a street with cars around her, DD wasn't interested in any of these, but I think they can pretty cool.

Basically think outside the box, look around you, great backgrounds are everywhere.  Tell your DD to have fun with them!  I think I had as much fun with DD's dance photos as she did!

I would LOVE to see some of these pics!
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My daughter did a few shots in regular street clothes with her red tap shoes.  We found a brick wall in front of an old building that had a marquee and the photographer photo shopped "Class of 2017" onto it.  I have no idea how to post a picture though.

tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Senior pictures aren't really a thing up here.  They take pics at school of them in their gowns but that's about it.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988

Love this picture! It just makes me smile [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: