Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Long story, but suffice it to say we are looking to rent studio space for 1-2 hrs per week.

Do you know of any places?

TIA
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
You looking in Metro Detroit? A certain county?
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
How large of a studio space do you need?  How many dancers?  What days of the week?
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I'd prefer northern Oakland or Macomb county, or southern Lapeer county.

It is just for my daughter.

Sundays or Thursdays would be best, but there's a little flexibility.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Honestly, your best bet is to just pick up the phone and start calling the studios in the area you're looking at.  Most studios won't advertise their willingness to do this... probably haven't even thought about it... because there's really not that much of a call for it.  But have the guts to ask... and you may very well receive.  Good luck.
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Some to google for you to try.....
Mary Skiba, Underground, Lyndsay's Cheer & Dance, Rhythm Pointe Dance Academy, Gotta Dance, Anita's, Studio J, Suzette's Masters of Dance.
Good Luck!
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I wouldn't limit to just competition dance studios.
Try yoga studios, or studios that specialize in belly dancing, or highland dancing. Maybe even a church could have the right space,
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks everyone! I've got a couple of leads with some yoga studios.

I haven't heard back from a couple of the dance studios I contacted.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I don't know about Michigan but have you checked with local community centre and YMCA? I've also seen ads on kijiji, dance studios that do kids birthday party are usually open to the idea as well.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I second yoga studios. Have you decided to go the independent route this year? 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew
I second yoga studios. Have you decided to go the independent route this year? 

No, but it might be coming sooner than we think.

There is a bit of an issue regarding choreography for my DD's contemporary solo for WBAC and YAGP. Bottom line: The studio wouldn't let us use an outside choreographer, which is what we should have done from the beginning. So, we used a studio-approved member of a contemporary ballet company (that used to dance at DD's studio) and then a contemporary teacher at DD's studio tweaked it. We, including the company director, all loved it AFTER the tweaking. Well, the company director whose background is truly all ballet is changing it - and NOT for the better - making it more flowy and ballet-ish instead of keeping it more contemporary.

The only recording of the routine I have on my phone is after it was tweaked to everyone's satisfaction. So, I'm basically playing dumb, and DD will compete that in six weeks. I am NOT having the comp director rehearse it with her, or I'm going to try and hold out as long as possible. 

Obviously, I would rather just ask her not to make changes but the problem is that if a parent even offers their input this company director says that he/she is being disrespectful, and gets nasty ... I mean name-calling nasty. This director has zero social skills and is the primary reason there was such a mass exodus from the studio this year: More than 1/2 the comp dancers left the studio this year, and many others are unhappy.

It sucks that the comp director is ruining something that she has no experience tinkering with. Of course, I'm sure I'll be the bad guy, but I'm at the point that I'm not going to keep spending money on sub-par routines.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
What are you looking for in a studio space?  Would your DD be working with someone or just rehearsing?  

Do you know someone with decent flooring in their basement that you could use?  We had a great studio space for DD in our basement that was basically as nice as some small studio rooms, it's been converted to storage now.  

Your local library will also allow you to rent rooms if you don't need specific flooring.  Some school systems are better than others for renting space (mine would never allow anything like this due to custodial contracts and liability issues), but you could try some.  

Sounds like you're in a no-win situation.  It's never a good sign when there is a mass exodus from a studio.  Hoping for the best for your DD!
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Wow, it sounds like it definitely might be time to move on. There are so many great dance schools in metro Detroit; there is no sense in staying at one that makes you miserable. 
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Not sure where you live, but yes, lots of smaller studios, ours included, offer rental space occasionally.  The Macomb Township Recreation Center also has an amazing dance room that I believe they rent out.  Other rec centers may have something similar.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.