Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD is only a freshman in high school, but is thinking about college. She had previously thought that she would not pursue a dance major, but would try to still take class at a studio while attending college. She is rethinking that plan, and now seriously considering majoring in dance, and possibly double majoring. DD is a fairly well-rounded dancer, but does not particularly like modem, which seems to be emphasized in many college programs. Her favorite styles of dance are ballet, contemporary, and lyrical. She likes jazz a lot too. She does not tap, but wouldn't mind learning it. She's also not super into musical theater. What colleges would be good ones to look into? We are in CA, and her first choice would be to stay in CA. If not CA, she would prefer to stay somewhere in the western part of the country.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 

My impression with college programs is that is a very tall order. They are all so heavily modern. But, there really is a fine line between modern and contemporary, so it sounds like she might like a ballet focused program or a contemporary based program. 

A lot of the programs seem to require an equal amount of modern and ballet. I think, as she gets closer, she will need to look closer at what type of modern is taught. She might be perfectly happy with a more contemporary styled modern. 

You have some nice dance programs in southern California- the new USC program, CSULB and UCI. I know dd went to a talk on majoring in dance at UCI once during the ABT SI. If I recall, the programs were somewhat similar, both requiring ballet and modern, with at least one ballet and one modern class each semester. Arizona (UA) has a strong, well rounded program. I know a dancer that is there now. Part of the attraction to her was the equal emphasis on ballet, modern and jazz. A lot of the other programs seem to have just a little jazz required. I have seen some videos of her choreography which is very contemporary in nature. 

The other thing to consider is that it is not uncommon for dancers to not really like modern until they get older. I've seen that happen many times with some not even taking an interest until they are seniors and others not really getting into it until they are in college. I don't know that I'm putting it into words well enough, but it seems to be an acquired taste for a good number of dancers. It's also so hard to paint all of modern with the same brush. Horton is very different from Limon, which is different from Graham, which is different from Cunningham, etc. 

My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
She should warm herself up to modern if college dance is on the horizon.  LOL
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I agree with the other posts.  Especially if ballet/lyrical/contemporary are her focus.  I was going to recommend Pace, but that is a commercial dance program, so if she's not interested in Musical Theater and she is interested in ballet/lyrical/contemporary then she definitely seems to be more interested in concert dance as opposed to commercial, so that won't work for her either.

But, if concert dance is what she wants, then she should learn to appreciate her modern anyway.  [biggrin]
mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I echo the other posters that 1) they tend to like modern more as they get older, 2) most colleges have modern as a major component and 3) she will have to find a way to embrace it in college, not love it but accept it.  There are several predominantly ballet oriented programs that may have less modern (I could be wrong on some of these but you could take a look): Indiana, Park Point, Okla U., maybe Mercyhurst, Univ of So Carolina, Wake Forest.  It seems there are many colleges/univ that have modern as their main focus since they want to offer some kind of dance.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
It does seem like the ballet focused programs are more towards the east, doesn't it? To mom2tall's list, add Butler and SUNY-Purchase. 
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I've done quite a bit of research as DD is a junior planing to major in dance. I have yet to find any program that doesn't have a strong modern base to it. Typically dancers have a ballet and modern class every semester. Any program with strong ballet will also have a strong modern component as well.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I think that, for the most part, that is true dancemom128. However, there are still a few programs out there, like Indiana and Butler and I think, Utah, that are just ballet. They may give you options or electives in other genres. I do think, however, that incorporating modern or contemporary into college training is smart and provides more options for the future. Even most classical companies are incorporating modern/contemporary work in their season.

As a general aside, you won't find lyrical offered at a college program. You may find modern or contemporary and/or jazz, though.
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
DD is only 12, but even in her limited experience it seems that there are many "flavors" of modern.  She's had teachers and classes she loved and teachers and classes she tolerated.  It may be difficult to avoid modern at most of these programs, but maybe she can find some whose style will be closer to the contemporary/lyrical styles she enjoys.  DD remarked that one modern class she took recently was "almost hiphop."  She loved that one, a masterclass by a visiting teacher from a contemporary company, and asked me to find her a hiphop class.  She didn't realize how much she missed hiphop until the "modern" class reminded her, lol!
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Actually in looking at Indiana their website says that training in modern is required. Agree that lyrical isn't a course you're going to find in college but you may find that some jazz instructors lean toward the lyrical side of jazz. Butler requires modern courses as well.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
dancermom128, that's true. I think I was thinking about it being a ballet focused (as opposed to their Contemporary BFA/BA in Contemporary, which is located in the Theater Department) contemporary ballet. There are schools like the U of Arizona that are known  as triple threat programs or Elon or Goucher which are modern based with ballet. As opposed to Ballet that offers electives in Jazz/Modern, etc. Does that make sense, lol?

Isn't it interesting which departments some schools locate their dance programs? We've had to search Sports/Athletic Departments/ Theater Departments/ Music Schools, etc.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I think in general you can find schools that slow you to concentrate in other areas but it's unlikely that modern won't be required to at least some degree.
camercad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Wanted to add University of Utah to the list - DD's studio has two dancers who are now in Utah's dance program, focusing on ballet.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #14 
If you're looking for ballet on the West coast don't forget Chapman
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Cal State Long Beach is a GREAT program on the west coast but there is definitely modern.  My DD thought it had more of a contemp feel than many she looked at though.
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
I've done quite a bit of research as DD is a junior planing to major in dance. I have yet to find any program that doesn't have a strong modern base to it. Typically dancers have a ballet and modern class every semester. Any program with strong ballet will also have a strong modern component as well.

DS had Jazz last semester and will have Modern this semester, so it is not every semester at every school. He is at Mercyhurst.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
@mom2rb definitely going to visit Mercyhurst! may pick your brain as it gets closer...sounds like a good fit for your son[smile]

Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
DD knows that she'll definitely have to take modern, she's just looking for a program where modern isn't the main emphasis. Good point too about there being so many styles of modern. DD hasn't been exposed to that many styles yet. She thinks Horton is ok and really doesn't like Limon at all. Maybe she'll find a style that she loves, who knows. I love hearing about all the different schools. She's familiar with UCI, Chapman, Cal State Long Beach, and University of Arizona. USC's program is new this year, and she knows of at least one dancer attending, so we are keeping our eyes on that program too.
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
You have some nice dance programs in southern California- the new USC program, CSULB and UCI.

I would second all these and add Chapman. 

heromom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
It depends on what her goal is. My DS graduated from AMDA LA. Loved it. He is pursuing commercial dance. He has a friend that graduated from Marymount Loyola. Also have heard good things about Chapman. Relativity is also in LA.
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heromom
Relativity is also in LA.

One of the seniors from our studio last year went to Relativity as a dance major. It was the first I'd heard of it, but we looked it up and it looks very intriguing. (and expensive)

https://relativityschool.org 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: